Safety concerns of global trips

Vanaddict

My biggest concern for hitting the great outdoors internationally is safety, especially in places with cartels, political instability, terrorism (ISIS etc).

I feel like I would be a huge moving target driving a quarter/half mil rig such as an earthcruiser, roamer or gxv around. Specifically, a couple concerns or mine are:

1. The rig advertises the owner is wealthy, so thats a risk for kidnap/ransom.
  2. These rigs seem like they would be perfect command units for a terrorist group, cartel, etc. Why wouldn't they just kill me and take it?

Also, since international travel is probably not covered under comprehensive, is it table stakes to plan on eating the full cost of the rig in the case of a theft or total loss?

Thanks

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
I have driven about 6 months in South America, 3 months in Southern Africa. Those gigantic rigs look ridiculous and are mostly unnecessary. You could just rent a SUV and stay in various lodging and feel totally comfortable.

Second, after 5-6 weeks in Colombia I am convinced that a traffic accident is far riskier than anything else. Nice people but risky driving with animals, bicycles, motorcycles without headlights at night...that sort of thing. Spend a month in a rental car and see how you enjoy an easy country like Argentina or Chile.

Joe917

Explorer
The American government has spent a lot of time telling its population how scary the big bad world is. It's not.
There are places to avoid, they are well known such as Venezuela, Nicaragua, Iran, mainland Mexico, etc. Avoid them. Most of the rest of the world is open and friendly (many overlanders may tell you their best experiences have been in Venezuela, Mexico etc.)
Big self contained rigs are a great way to get into remote places and stay comfortably. You won't catch me living out of an crappy little SUV for years at a time!
Insurance will be the big issue if you are not willing to eat the full value of the vehicle in a write off. Being in a big rig will give you the best chance in an accident. Take it easy and slow.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The question I always ask those Americans wanting international exploration is this:

Have you visited and explored all 50 states in the USA?

With VERY few exceptions that answer is always NO!!!

Why not explore ALL of your own country first where your money is good, you can for the most part understand the language and do so in safety compared to many spots in the rest of the world?

You like complete solitude in a forest? Go to Maine!

Big hole in the ground? Arizona!

Beautiful glaciers in the lower 48? Go to Montana!

Best weather in the world? San Diego!

I know this does not address your question of safety travelling internationally however the above is something to consider if your personal safety is a real concern.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
A short Google search yields 10,000 people retiring every day! Quite a few of them are retiring to RVs and traveling to the same 50 states and taking up real estate on BLM land, state and county parks, National Parks, RV parks, the woods in Maine, and most of Arizona! We go to Baja and mainland Mexico, Americans are too scared of those places. On the other hand, Europeans and Canadians are in abundance down there.

billiebob

Where is this "well known list of places to avoid" located, and who put this list together?
Check with your State Dept.
Every country constantly updates the risk for travellers and advises wether or not you should travel. And that status can change in a moment. You might be on "vacation" but you need to stay on top of the news.

shade

A short Google search yields 10,000 people retiring every day! Quite a few of them are retiring to RVs and traveling to the same 50 states and taking up real estate on BLM land, state and county parks, National Parks, RV parks, the woods in Maine, and most of Arizona! We go to Baja and mainland Mexico, Americans are too scared of those places. On the other hand, Europeans and Canadians are in abundance down there.
True, but it's not exactly crowded in the U.S. if you're willing to go off-pavement and avoid heavily Instagrammed sites.

I've been happy poking around the U.S. & Canada, but I'll spend a month or more in Baja eventually, and perhaps farther south. International travel can be worth the trouble, in my experience.

Vanaddict

An observation: Most of the people who have not traveled overseas are concerned about safety outside of the US. Most of the people who are traveling outside of the US do not report such concerns.

The number of places where US citizens are not welcomed is tiny compared to the number of places where we are welcomed every day.

Okay, I'll give it a go, while taking care to review the state dpt travel list to start and go from there.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Okay, I'll give it a go, while taking care to review the state dpt travel list to start and go from there.

Since I have, over the years, written or edited many of those, I would agree that they are a great place to start. Also read those from the FCO, the Canadians, and the Australians. These are all nations with similar travel profiles and it makes a great compare and contrast exercise.

But do note. We Americans are a litigious group, so there is a great pressure to include any negative events so that no one can claim, "The State Department knew that someone had been robbed in a taxi and did not include it in their travel warning."

Finally, be sure to look and listen. What are the local people doing - if they are avoiding an area, you should too. When traveling by public transport or vehicle, as opposed to a formal tour group, you can quickly plug into the local travelers' grape vine. A lot of rumors, but a lot of ground truth as well.

Have a great, safe trip.

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
As long as you are aware of what is happening around you wherever you go and don't go making a spectacle of yourself then most of the world is full of friendly people who only want to show you the best their country has to offer. Petty crime happens everywhere. Bigger crime happens everywhere too even the US. I'm more afraid attending the movies or public events here than I am in crossing Mauritania by ourselves. Its all what you make of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier