Safe way to mount fire extinguisher in cab?

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Search for "quick release fire extinguisher mount" and you will find several options that are designed to hold fire extinguishers in race cars and not kill you in a crash.

That’s what I use. Solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Merk

Has anyone seen or tried the Fire Safety Stick?
It doesn't look like it weighs so not much of a projectile but emits for up to 100 seconds depending on model. No servicing, no shelf life. Andrew St Pierre White recommended on his channel but no experience myself. For instance-

That appears to be the UK retailer of the Element product I linked

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have one of these in my wife's Forester mounted to the P/S seat.

I have one of these in my Land Cruiser along with a regular type extinguisher.

In the Land Cruiser, the Element is in the D/S seat pocket and a fire extinguisher mounted to the rear cargo box wall.

Attachments

• fire1.jpg
    fire1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 48
  • fire3.jpg
    fire3.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 50
  • fire2.jpg
    fire2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I have been keeping mine in drivers seat back pocket for 20 years, never came out, always within reach and always visible if the charge is good.

TommyG

Adventurer

4WD_FIREX-MNT-DOR.jpg

quickfarms

Adventurer
Virtually every commercial truck of any size or configuration has it mounted under or on the left side of the driver seat, or in the footwell. I believe that's mandated by DOT and we shouldn't really think any differently with our overland rigs for several reasons: We're pushing the limits of where we should go and when, carrying various fuels and combustible things and driving highly modified vehicles with modified engines and electrical systems. Only makes sense to have a fire extinguisher about 3 seconds from the driver seat.

DOT rules require that a fire extinguisher be carried in the vehicle along with safety triangles.

You can carry it in any location on the vehicle.

I very rarely see it mounted to the left side of the drivers seat. Most of the time they are inside the storage compartment on the sleeper or in a tool box

This is the type of mount that i use and they make them big enough for a CO2 tanks

jeepers29

Has anyone seen or tried the Fire Safety Stick?
It doesn't look like it weighs so not much of a projectile but emits for up to 100 seconds depending on model. No servicing, no shelf life. Andrew St Pierre White recommended on his channel but no experience myself. For instance-
This is just like the element one but a bit more expensive from the looks of it

86scotty

Cynic
DOT rules require that a fire extinguisher be carried in the vehicle along with safety triangles.

You can carry it in any location on the vehicle.

I very rarely see it mounted to the left side of the drivers seat. Most of the time they are inside the storage compartment on the sleeper or in a tool box

This is the type of mount that i use and they make them big enough for a CO2 tanks

I'm not sure what kind of commercial vehicles you are familiar with but delivery trucks and heavy trucks pretty much universally have them mounted inside the driver's door under or to the left of the driver's seat. I couldn't find a DOT or FMCSA regulation for this, it's just what I'm used to having driven literally hundreds of them of all types for 25+ years. Anyway, none of this is relavent to the OP's question. The name of the game is access in an emergency. I certainly wouldn't want one in a tool box or inside a compartment I had to get open and remove junk from the top of. I deal with DOT every day. I doubt they would want to see this either.

quickfarms

Adventurer
I'm not sure what kind of commercial vehicles you are familiar with but delivery trucks and heavy trucks pretty much universally have them mounted inside the driver's door under or to the left of the driver's seat. I couldn't find a DOT or FMCSA regulation for this, it's just what I'm used to having driven literally hundreds of them of all types for 25+ years. Anyway, none of this is relavent to the OP's question. The name of the game is access in an emergency. I certainly wouldn't want one in a tool box or inside a compartment I had to get open and remove junk from the top of. I deal with DOT every day. I doubt they would want to see this either.

I have been driving since before CDLs were required and what you are talking about does not apply to the small fleets and owner operators that I have worked for.

It sounds like you work for some big fleet that the safety ***** came up with this requirement

I currently own 4 trucks and have never been harassed about not having the extinguisher in the cab.

The truth is the large extinguishers that I carry wound not fit next to the drivers seat without getting in the way of the air ride base or seat belts.

I all the years I have only used one extinguishers day it was not on my own vehicle

Specky

Scuse the mess just got back from a hunting trip. Mine is mounted on a piece of 50x4mm ally flat bar across the mounting bolts for the front passenger seat. Out if the way but both driver and passenger can get to it quickly if needed

Attachments

• A34BC8D4-5D04-4068-9828-81466532F89D.jpeg
    A34BC8D4-5D04-4068-9828-81466532F89D.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 28

Ducstrom

Our commercial trucks have them mounted to the outside of the service bodies in most cases.
The government fleet I worked for previously had them all mounted behind the seats.
I have the element extinguishers on both mine and my wife's vehicles. Its in the glove box in my truck and in the back seat pocket in her jeep. I like that they can be tossed pretty much anywhere.

86scotty

Cynic
I have been driving since before CDLs were required and what you are talking about does not apply to the small fleets and owner operators that I have worked for.

It sounds like you work for some big fleet that the safety ***** came up with this requirement

I currently own 4 trucks and have never been harassed about not having the extinguisher in the cab.

The truth is the large extinguishers that I carry wound not fit next to the drivers seat without getting in the way of the air ride base or seat belts.

I all the years I have only used one extinguishers day it was not on my own vehicle

One truck O/O here, getting close to 30 years in the business. I see you are on Trucker's Report as well. I worked for a large fleet driving every conceivable vehicle for 20+ years and they were all in the cab just like my personal trucks I've owned since then. As I said, I've never seen them any place different. Interesting.

I think our point to the OP is made here. Over and out.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Lots of different perspectives here. I worked on an ambulance for a decade. Most ambulances have the fire extinguisher in a locked compartment accessed from outside behind the drivers door. It is next to the oxygen tank.

Not sure if DOT dictates the exact placement of a fire extinguisher but for us common folks the most important thing is:

Having one in your vehicle.
Easy access for you in an emergency.
Secure so that it does not become a missile in an accident.
Can you instruct a bystander to access it quickly and remove it from it's secured location easily?

If any of the above questions are a no, you should figure out a way to turn them into a yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles