Safe way to mount fire extinguisher in cab?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Back in October while on a trailer camping trip, the wife and I came across a terrible car accident on the Navajo reservation. Single car, rolled over multiple times with 2 ejected and one pinned under the car.

We were able to render assistance until the paramedics and police arrived but in running the situation over in our heads, we realized that one thing we DIDN'T do was approach the scene with a fire extinguisher. Fortunately, there was no fire but if there had been I'd have had to run back to the truck to get my extinguisher, which was locked in the back of the truck under all our stuff - not an ideal location, obviously.

So I'm looking for recommendations of the best/safest way to mount a fire extinguisher in the cab of the truck where it won't be in the way and won't become a missile if WE get into an accident. I'd prefer not to put screws into sheet metal but if that's the best way to do it, I'm willing to do that.

If anyone has any recommendations or (better yet) pictures of how you have your fire extinguishers mounted, I'd like to see them. For what it's worth my truck is a 2018 F-150 CCSB.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I don't have a good picture, but I mounted mine using the extinguisher's factory "clamp" mount on the side-pedestal of the driver's seat. The clamp alone may or may not be sufficient, but in my van the spacing is such that the tank interferes slightly on the molded-plastic "map pocket" on the driver's door - this means there's a little extra friction on the tank, so I feel good that it won't come loose in an accident, but is conveniently accessible as I'm jumping out of the driver's seat.

Heading Out

Adventurer
On my Jeep I have it mounted on the roll bar on the drivers side.

In the Sports car I bought a mount that puts it in front of the drivers seat
It uses the seat mounting bolts, and I can reach it from the seat.

In the trucks they are under the rear seats, easy to reach

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I wouldn’t worry about the sheet metal screws. When you sell the truck you can plug the holes with “hole plugs” made for that purpose.

I got a racing bracket that holds the extinguisher with an iron grip but one pull on a red knob and it’s free. I have yet to see a standard bracket that was worth a flip.

I’m kind of a stickler when it comes to anchoring my stuff down. I don’t want any flying missiles if in an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.ooohhh

For vehicle extinguishers I typically try and find a 5lb extinguisher equipped with a metal valve with an available aviation mount. The aviation mount generally adds a second strap around the extinguisher and slightly stouter mounting bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
A little off topic but, along the same lines. Include a small folding spade/shovel with fire extinguisher. I've probably used the small, trunk mounted extinguishers for roadside fires maybe 100 times in 30 years and they almost never seem to have enough retardant to get the job done so, a small shovel comes in handy to throw dirt, gravel, sand, mud, snow (watch out if oil, fuel or liquids are involved when putting moist on it.) or whatever onto the blaze (while you can still do it safely) to help suppress the fire.....but, at some point you may just need to walk away and wait for the fire truck. Be safe.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Has anyone seen or tried the Fire Safety Stick?
It doesn't look like it weighs so not much of a projectile but emits for up to 100 seconds depending on model. No servicing, no shelf life. Andrew St Pierre White recommended on his channel but no experience myself. For instance-

86scotty

Cynic
Virtually every commercial truck of any size or configuration has it mounted under or on the left side of the driver seat, or in the footwell. I believe that's mandated by DOT and we shouldn't really think any differently with our overland rigs for several reasons: We're pushing the limits of where we should go and when, carrying various fuels and combustible things and driving highly modified vehicles with modified engines and electrical systems. Only makes sense to have a fire extinguisher about 3 seconds from the driver seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles