Safari Snorkel Pre-Cleaner

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Did a search found nothing.

So are they worth the money? I run a ton of dirt roads and would like the added protection to my intake. Especially since a personal friend of mine did a air filter test and it showed that K&N air filters aren't the best for blocking out dirt. :(

Anyone have any real life experience with these things?

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
No, but I've got a rather unusual alternative . . .

Prior to a particular dusty ride I, with my wife's permission, cut the foot portions off a pair of her black stockings. I put both over my snorkel intake and then used some black electrical tape around the bottom. It worked surprisingly well and no one noticed this little mod. With the taped edge at the bottom of the intake, it was a clean look. But once the dust kicked up the nylon got dusty on the outside. It no longer blended in with the black snorkel. However no one knew what I was using as a "pre filter" and that was fine with me. I'm trying to recall, but i don't even think anyone noticed it too because no one mentioned anything to me. On weekend trips or longer, you may have to pack some extra. Just make sure your significant other knows it's for the truck and not your personal use. ;)

I don't know how well this will do for frequent dusky excursions. For those infrequent times I need some "extra support," this works fine.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yeah i hear ya on that... there's a foam filter that covers your Safari snorkel that they sell in Australia too.

img_1_322.jpg

Last edited:

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
My best friend has one on his BJ42 that I spend a lot of time in and use fairly often.. I do think its a slight performance dampener versus the traditional ram-air scoop. That said, yes I think it really does work, it is amazing how much dust it collects particularly on back roads, all of which would end up in your filter (or worse) if not there.. In a month I have collected maybe a 1/4 lb of dust before in it...

This is a donaldson type. I would guess it is 8" in diameter, not the large 10" one I think...

Here is a pic of the truck...

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
SOCALFJ said:
I just ordered a 10" pre-cleaner... we'll see how it does.

I think there is a speed limit for the 10" precleaner of 45 MPH... so you might have to swap out when airing down... don't quote me on this, but I am 90% sure there is a restriction on that precleaner.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I'll just have to make that part of the test! "how long can your pre-cleaner hold for until it flies off into traffic and gets destroyed!"

I drive slow as heck anyways... we'll have to see. They were fresh out of the 7" ones... and as impatient as i am.. i couldn't wait lol

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
flyingwil said:
I think there is a speed limit for the 10" precleaner of 45 MPH... so you might have to swap out when airing down... don't quote me on this, but I am 90% sure there is a restriction on that precleaner.

Huh??? You pulling my chain Wil? :shakin:

I have customers that have been running both sizes for years and years, I've never heard of such an issue.

As for pre-filters for the normail snorkels, I stock the Uni-Filter inserts, they seem to work really well.

Dieselcruiserhead, Damons is a 7", as opposed to a 10" ... though if he wants to try out the 10" I have them both in stock ;)

flyingwil

cruiseroutfit said:
Huh??? You pulling my chain Wil? :shakin:

I have customers that have been running both sizes for years and years, I've never heard of such an issue.

I seem to recall reading that somewhere... It was why I never ended up with one on the Taco. OK I found it!!!

safari4x4.com.au said:
When should a pre-cleaner be used with a Safari snorkel?
The commercial configuration of pre-cleaner, supplied by Safari, should only be used in heavy dust conditions, off asphalt surfaces at speeds below 80kph.

So 80 kph = 49.7096954 mph and I was pretty close. here is the link (it is about the 7th question down.)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
flyingwil said:
I seem to recall reading that somewhere... It was why I never ended up with one on the Taco. OK I found it!!!....

Hmmm, I've browsed their site a couple times over the years and never noticed that? The way it reads they are referring to any pre-cleaner, so the 7" and 10" models.

I would be interested to hear why they say that. The Donaldson units are used on commercial big rigs all over the world, and they attach to the snorkel in an equal (arguably greater) strenght manner than the regular air ram.

The only thing I can think of is the potential damage (such as ripping out a-pillar mounts) that could occur with wind vibration and force at high speeds???

Regardless, I have customers that have been running them for years without issues.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Alright... well I'll perform the high speed test when i get it hahhaa

Dang the 10" looks bigger than what i measured.... you think i'll get satellite tv with it? lol

flyingwil

cruiseroutfit said:
Hmmm, I've browsed their site a couple times over the years and never noticed that? The way it reads they are referring to any pre-cleaner, so the 7" and 10" models.

I would be interested to hear why they say that. The Donaldson units are used on commercial big rigs all over the world, and they attach to the snorkel in an equal (arguably greater) strenght manner than the regular air ram.

The only thing I can think of is the potential damage (such as ripping out a-pillar mounts) that could occur with wind vibration and force at high speeds???

Regardless, I have customers that have been running them for years without issues.

I think they are great... and a precleaner is on my list to get for dusty trails...

I am sure anyone would be fine with it, but that is just odd to me... and scared me away from one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles