Safari Snorkel Pre-Cleaner

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
cruiseroutfit said:
The only thing I can think of is the potential damage (such as ripping out a-pillar mounts) that could occur with wind vibration and force at high speeds???
QUOTE]

I have heard of this issue that Wil mentioned. However I believe it has something to do with the vortex created within the filter at high speads actually causing a vacuum and starving the engine of air volum.

But then again to quote Ferris Buler playing the clarinet, "I've never had one lesson"! :)

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
For what its worth the Donaldson filter we have is over 55 pretty much all the time, as high as 80, 85 mph with no indication of negative effects. I can hear the turbo through it at higher RPMs though :)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Wouldn't it be easier to just turn the intake scoop around backwards in high dust, and dump that K&N "filter"?

I have a glass bodied Dune buggy. It has a K&N type oiled cotton gauze filter on it. I have never succeeded in keeping grit out of the oil on the inside of the filter base. Never. This is grit large enough to feel & see. Every trick known to me or my collection of buggy friends has been tried. The Baja that will soon replace the DB will get either a Donaldson or and UMP filter. There is also a disposable Izusu truck p/n that looks like it might be a contender, & NAPA has a listing for it.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I just cancelled the order.... (thank god they were slow to process it lol)
Anyhoo... MAF said you have to modify the Safari snorkel on the 80 series in order for it to fit. I'll just keep mine 'as is' for now.

I'll just turn it backwards if we ever get in the 'thick of it' like NTSQD said.

Robthebrit

Explorer
One of my mogs has a giant cylone in the snorkel, it does collect dirt but nowhere near enough, it may help if you are the lead vehicle but if you are behind somebody then there is so much dirt in the air there is not much it can do. The cyclone also makes a whushing noise and its close to my head so it gets annothing. All my mogs have oil bath filters as the main air filters and they are always sludged up the same so I really don't know if the cyclone is doing anything.

I would recommend ditching the KN and getting a filter that works, can you get an oilbath?, there is nothing better for dust.

Rob

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Ok, so a little update.. i did end up eventually getting a 7" pre-cleaner for the 80 series (this past week).

One small mistake i noticed.. that people need to pay attention too. If you have the larger 3.5" snorkel this pre-filter will not fit correctly. I had to modifiy it. It's really supposed to fit on the outside of the snorkel tube housing, not the inside.

I just talked to ARB and as far as i know, they do NOT make a 3.5" version. So basically you have to have the 'old' version snorkel for it to work 'out of the box'. ARB has some german big rig company make them.

08240713021dr0.jpg

We will see how much dirt we can collect on our next trip to Death Valley playing follow the leader on the dirt roads out there.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Just out of curiosity what did that go for?

The company I bought my Fumoto drain valve sells those in every size imaginable for construction equipment. They had one with a 2 inch mount that was about 6 inches across on the display in their lobby I was looking at. Has a turbine on the inside with a sealed bearing it ran on. He was talking about $50-60 for it but was concerned that a N/A gasser would be able to keep it spinning fast enough to do the job when I asked him about it.

http://cityguides.local.yahoo.com/details?id=13734094&state=GA&stx=&csz=

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
The ARB units are made by Donaldson... I doubt they actually make them special for ARB, rather ARB uses a couple of their more common sizes.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Grim Reaper said:
Just out of curiosity what did that go for?

The company I bought my Fumoto drain valve sells those in every size imaginable for construction equipment. They had one with a 2 inch mount that was about 6 inches across on the display in their lobby I was looking at. Has a turbine on the inside with a sealed bearing it ran on. He was talking about $50-60 for it but was concerned that a N/A gasser would be able to keep it spinning fast enough to do the job when I asked him about it.

http://cityguides.local.yahoo.com/details?id=13734094&state=GA&stx=&csz=

Ran about $80 bucks.

cruiseroutfit said:
The ARB units are made by Donaldson... I doubt they actually make them special for ARB, rather ARB uses a couple of their more common sizes.

Im sure you are right. Especially since ARB doesnt sell a unit that FITS CORRECTLY!!!! ha!

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
cruiseroutfit said:
I think the ones I was looking at were Donaldson as well. I'll have to stop in next time I am over that way. Might be able to make it this week.

cruiseroutfit

SOCALFJ said:
...Im sure you are right. Especially since ARB doesnt sell a unit that FITS CORRECTLY!!!! ha!

It fits some of their units correctly... whomever you bought it from should have forwarned you that it wouldn't fit yours ;) For the models it doesn't fit as designed (such as yours) I recommend a different pre-filter setup... but I'm not sure there is a reliable source for them in the states... yet.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
cruiseroutfit said:
It fits some of their units correctly... whomever you bought it from should have forwarned you that it wouldn't fit yours ;) For the models it doesn't fit as designed (such as yours) I recommend a different pre-filter setup... but I'm not sure there is a reliable source for them in the states... yet.

Yeah, they weren't super happy to hear that it doesnt work and that ARB never informed them either. I told him to update their site with information for the next guy. Shoot, ARB barely knew what the correct application was (there isnt one from them) when i called.

Kurt.. Which brand is that? Im all for doing it the 'right' way.

cruiseroutfit

SOCALFJ said:
Yeah, they weren't super happy to hear that it doesnt work and that ARB never informed them either. I told him to update their site with information for the next guy. Shoot, ARB barely knew what the correct application was (there isnt one from them) when i called.

ARB is a wholesaler, truly they rely on their retailer network to get customers the correct parts. You really can't expect them to inform every customer of every part fit... they don't sell it as fitting the 80 Snorkel, so it shouldn't be assumed it fits ;)

SOCALFJ said:
Kurt.. Which brand is that? Im all for doing it the 'right' way.

I'll PM you with some info when available :D

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
cruiseroutfit said:
ARB is a wholesaler, truly they rely on their retailer network to get customers the correct parts. You really can't expect them to inform every customer of every part fit... they don't sell it as fitting the 80 Snorkel, so it shouldn't be assumed it fits ;)

I'll PM you with some info when available :D

No, maybe i mispoke. My understanding as it was, is that the retailer never was informed that it didn't fit.. In turn, they sold it to me, not knowing it didn't fit. I called ARB because the retailer never has 'installed' such a unit on a 80 series so they couldn't comment if it was correct or not (installing it inside the snorkel). I agree ARB's job isn't to inform each and every customer.

Cool deal, ill keep an eye out in my inbox.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles