safari snorkel A pillar inserts

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
does anyone know where i can get some of the A pillar inserts or something similar that will work?

i just got a free snorkel (traded the snorkel and a fender for my fender :victory:) but the person i got it from cant get the inserts out without destroying them.

does anyone have any photos of the inserts before they were installed? I was going to try to find something at the hardware store or mcmaster.

I called ARB and they told me they dont stock any replacement parts for the safari stuff (they just distribute boxed items) they also mentioned that replacement parts for the snorkels are "ridiculous prices + shipping" from AUS (for example the small L bracket that holds the snorkel to the A pillar is $50 + shipping from AUS)

thanks
t

Last edited:

barlowrs

Explorer
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_2ndgenTaco_snorkel.html

Check out Item 6....you should be able to find any kind of expanding type blind insert (works like a drywall anchor)

2gTacoSrkl_02.jpg

Last edited:

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
that would work but i don't have the tools to install them.. im thinking i am just going to put some kind of helicoil type thing in there and jb weld them in. then use a bunch of red loctite on the screws.

after seeing what they look like it seems like i should be able to find something rather easily.

i would think that a self tapping sheetmetal screw would probalby work pretty well. have to wait till i get all the parts in the mail to really see

thanks

irish_11

Explorer
i just got a free snorkel (traded the snorkel and a fender for my fender :victory:) but the person i got it from cant get the inserts out without destroying them

Was this from the guy over on TTORA looking for a trade? I didnt have the right color fender, or else I would have been all over that. Good trade!

Lowes has a plastic insert like that. I found them when needing an exact replacement for a Uhaul trailer i fixed up. They are in the drawer section of the hardware isle and come individually bagged IIRC....

caleb

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've got a handful of them here if you don't have any luck elsewhere. These are actual Safari ones but I've grabbed them at a hardware store in the past too.

Make sure you use some rubber grommets or rubber washers to absorb vibes. I also put a block of black rubber foam under the snorkel where it covers the L bracket, this also dampens vibes. The snorkel can vibrate at high speed and wind gust. This in turn can cause the snork to back out of the threaded insert. the fender and the A pillar are not on the same vibration plane. Just my .02

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Make sure you use some rubber grommets or rubber washers to absorb vibes. I also put a block of black rubber foam under the snorkel where it covers the L bracket, this also dampens vibes. The snorkel can vibrate at high speed and wind gust. This in turn can cause the snork to back out of the threaded insert. the fender and the A pillar are not on the same vibration plane. Just my .02

What model do you have snorkel on? I've personally not experienced this with any of my setups or installs I've done but I'd imagine it is very application specific. (every snorkel I've ever installed is on a Toyota fwiw).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online