Sad End to This Cautionary Tale, As Folks Start to Head Back Out Into the Wilds, Pls Be Careful

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
It was NOT sensible in any meaning of the term. How about you take a look at that valley on Google Earth and follow the terrain down to Mormon Point?

I dunno, I can see how they came to their decision, and If I was in their shoes, I'm not sure I would have done anything differently. In hindsight everyone has 20/20, but I consider this an unfortunate accidents that led to the death rather than series of bad decisions. There are a lot of should've, would've, could've after the fact, but I don't really see gross errors on their part.

So their options were

1. Option 1 - Stay with the car. Probably a good suggestion for most cases but I wouldn't consider a hard and fast rule. In Oregon, James Kim stayed with the car for 9 days or so before starting to walk out. The Death ValleyGerman's minivan wasn't found until a month after they were gone. Maybe this couple stayed with the car for a day or two before deciding help wasn't coming? How long do you stay with limited water before trying to self rescue? If they were found dead in the car when the nearest road was only 5 miles away would that have been considered a smart decision?

2. Option 2 - Walk back out they way you came in. From what I've read, they found the Subaru 22 miles from the road. I'm assuming they're talking about Jubilee pass road, so that would put them very close to the end of Gold Valley road at the start of the canyon. At that point I assume they already had 2 flat tires. If so, that's 22 miles of hiking in the open desert to what is most likely a little travelled road. I can't remember if I've been on that road, but it's not one of the main roads in or out of Death Valley so I don't think it has much traffic. The nearest reliable location for help would be Shoshone, which would be closer to 33 miles walk. I'm pretty sure if they had been found dead on the road leading back East, everyone would be calling them stupid for not heading west to Badwater.

3. Option 3 - Drive out on flat tires. I had to drive on a flat tire for a couple miles on the highway and honestly with 2 flat tires, in the desert, it's probably faster to walk. If I knew there was no help coming and there was no other way out, maybe I would have done it, but it's almost guaranteed to destroy the car and transmission. At the time they decided to walk out, it wasn't a life and death decision, it sounds like they had food and water for a few days, so it wasn't to the point they needed to take drastic measures. If I thought there a fairly good chance of walking out or getting rescued I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have chosen this option, I doubt anyone else would either.

4. Option 4 - Walk out west. This is the option they took. I don't necessarily see it as a bad decision, it might have seemed like the best choice at the time. Again, I'm assuming they started at the end of Gold Valley road, which is about 4-5 miles from the heavily travelled Badwater road and probably the best chance of getting help in that area. The hikes from the west up to the foothills are fairly easy, I've taken my kids in Sidewinder canyon which is the canyon immediately south of Willow Canyon. So really the only unknown is the 2 miles in between the end of Gold Valley and the foothills. Between the option of hiking 4-5 miles in a shaded canyon vs 22-33 miles in the open desert, that's probably the route I would have taken. I would say their only mistake was dropping into the canyon, if they had stayed on the ridge they most likely would have been able to find a non-technical way down.

Last edited:

jbaucom

I'll reiterate once again, a simple InReach would have been a lifeline for them. They're not just an SOS button like a PLB. Anyone that spends a few hundred on an InReach should take the time to familiarize themselves with its use. Even though I have rarely needed it for communication, I have an active annual plan and use a couple of messages per month just to test it. An InReach that has been set up and has an active account would have allowed them to send a message, with their location on a map, to a trusted family member or contact alerting them that they had 2 flat tires, no spare, and 3 days water. That situation is not an emergency, at least it shouldn't be for the first 24-48 hrs, but they could attempt to coordinate with local entities for assistance getting them and 2 wheels to a tire shop so that they could drive out of there. I'm unfamiliar with the area, but realize that this could be quite expensive to arrange, but it beats being on the receiving end of a SAR operation. No SAR operation would have likely been required, as their location and situation would be known and appropriate assistance could have been arranged. I hate that it ended this way.

Poor decisions were made. They may have seemed rational and well considered in the moment, but best practices were not followed. They took the appropriate step of leaving an itinerary, but deviated from it without letting anyone know, probably because they lacked the ability to communicate the change of plans to anyone.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
What a tragedy. Aside from all of our little survival tricks (Inreach, fire, signaling etc) not sure why people are advocating for anything other than: STAYING WITH YOUR SHELTER (in this case a car). Unless you have the tools, the beta and the knowhow, stay with the car. People drive on roads. Rescuers drive on roads. Roads are visible from the sky. That is the rule. When lost and without resources, do not stray from it.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I dunno, I can see how they came to their decision, and If I was in their shoes, I'm not sure I would have done anything differently. In hindsight everyone has 20/20, but I consider this an unfortunate accidents that led to the death rather than series of bad decisions. There are a lot of should've, would've, could've after the fact, but I don't really see gross errors on their part.

So their options were

1. Option 1 - Stay with the car. Probably a good suggestion for most cases but I wouldn't consider a hard and fast rule. In Oregon, James Kim stayed with the car for 9 days or so before starting to walk out. The Death ValleyGerman's minivan wasn't found until a month after they were gone. Maybe this couple stayed with the car for a day or two before deciding help wasn't coming? How long do you stay with limited water before trying to self rescue? If they were found dead in the car when the nearest road was only 5 miles away would that have been considered a smart decision?

2. Option 2 - Walk back out they way you came in. From what I've read, they found the Subaru 22 miles from the road. I'm assuming they're talking about Jubilee pass road, so that would put them very close to the end of Gold Valley road at the start of the canyon. At that point I assume they already had 2 flat tires. If so, that's 22 miles of hiking in the open desert to what is most likely a little travelled road. I can't remember if I've been on that road, but it's not one of the main roads in or out of Death Valley so I don't think it has much traffic. The nearest reliable location for help would be Shoshone, which would be closer to 33 miles walk. I'm pretty sure if they had been found dead on the road leading back East, everyone would be calling them stupid for not heading west to Badwater.

3. Option 3 - Drive out on flat tires. I had to drive on a flat tire for a couple miles on the highway and honestly with 2 flat tires, in the desert, it's probably faster to walk. If I knew there was no help coming and there was no other way out, maybe I would have done it, but it's almost guaranteed to destroy the car and transmission. At the time they decided to walk out, it wasn't a life and death decision, it sounds like they had food and water for a few days, so it wasn't to the point they needed to take drastic measures. If I thought there a fairly good chance of walking out or getting rescued I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have chosen this option, I doubt anyone else would either.

4. Option 4 - Walk out west. This is the option they took. I don't necessarily see it as a bad decision, it might have seemed like the best choice at the time. Again, I'm assuming they started at the end of Gold Valley road, which is about 4-5 miles from the heavily travelled Badwater road and probably the best chance of getting help in that area. The hikes from the west up to the foothills are fairly easy, I've taken my kids in Sidewinder canyon which is the canyon immediately south of Willow Canyon. So really the only unknown is the 2 miles in between the end of Gold Valley and the foothills. Between the option of hiking 4-5 miles in a shaded canyon vs 22-33 miles in the open desert, that's probably the route I would have taken. I would say their only mistake was dropping into the canyon, if they had stayed on the ridge they most likely would have been able to find a non-technical way down.

You know what’s at the end of Gold Valley Road? A spring.

rruff

Explorer
It was NOT sensible in any meaning of the term. How about you take a look at that valley on Google Earth and follow the terrain down to Mormon Point?

*They* didn't have google earth and obviously didn't know it was that bad. This happens all the time; you try a path, discover it's impassable, go back and try another. If they had a 30 mile hike across that terrain, I'd say it was risky... but it was < 5miles and they didn't need to be in a hurry. The error was in continuing on when they should have turned around.

rruff

Explorer
Is it a year round spring? Does it currently have water running?
" Willow Creek flows through a moderately deep and narrow canyon for 3 miles, from Willow Spring quite high up in the Black Mountains to the hills at the edge of the valley, where the water sinks below ground or evaporates. The stream is only significant in winter and spring"

So probably. But it's a moot point because they didn't need water.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Ok Professor Charto,,,,, I tried leaving this alone, but alas,,,,,,, I'm callin BS on the BOLD Comments above,,,,, I know Exactally what I'm looking at on a Map, any Map,,,, but my Preferred Map Source is a 7.5Min USGS TOPO Map, showing True North~Grid North~and Magnetic North, and understanding how to use the Attached Declination deg's that are given for that particular area you are looking at on that Map, and with a 7.5Min TOPO you will have 40' Contours,,,,, and that makes it pretty easy to see the lay of the land ahead of you,,,,, ie..... those Contours Stacked-up on each other at various points, shows you that area is Pretty-Dam Steep, and or even Straight up and Down, a Cliff.....
And as for your Military Comment, the Marine Corp as a Very Demanding Orienteering, ie... Mapping and Compass School, I know, as after returning from VietNam in late 1971, I was an Instructure for that Course a Camp Pendleton, CA., until mid-73 when I was Discharged,,,,, So, I'm laying down the Law now as well, careful what you put in Print,,,, you BETTER Know what the Hell your talking about,,,,,, if not, you may get called on it. :cool:
And my Preferred Compass is either a SUUNTO M-2/M-3 or a SILVA 2.0,,,,, Oh and yea, that's my Story and I'm Sticking to it.!!!!
BD in Alaska....

Relax Devil Dog. I was a Marine too. 0311/8541/8531 from 1995-2002. I've had all the classes and then some. What are you calling me out on? You are offended that I said many people are not really well knowledgeable of a maps? Dude, that's truth. If you are, then good for you. I stand by 100% what I put in print. As for being a vet, yep, I'm standing behind that one as well. Being a Vet does not make you an outdoors god. I had to remedial train tons of Marines who could not grasp the most basic of concepts of map reading, marksmanship, and even how to properly pack a ruck or build a tent.

Matter of fact, I had to correct a GIS/Mapping 'expert' a few years ago at an overlanding event. This person was instructing the crowd on maps and was very incorrect on what was being said. (I did this in private) Had the same experience with a guy in the Navy who was chatting with me about GPS in 2013. Said he was a GPS instructor and was always amazed that GPS works from 1200 miles up. GPS are 12,500 miles. He had no idea. Little errors like that throw red flags to me.

And I know what the heck I am talking about when it comes to maps being a model. 40 foot contours (any contour) only show rises or fall in elevation. That's all they show. They don't show mud. They don't show sharp rocks. Nor do they show micro terrain. That might be included in the map but you have to reference the legend. All models lie. They lie in scale. They lie in direction. They lie in shape. They are not malicious lies, but they are lies none the less. Perhaps lie is too harsh a term, but the point is, what they show is just fractional representation of the truth. USGS topo quads are the bees knees. I base all my Enhanced MVUM maps on the USGS topos. I don't dispute that they are some of , if not, the best maps for navigation available to a wide audience. But they still contain errors. Roads come and go, same as buildings. Some streams are wet weather only (my rule of thumb is that if the stream does not show banks, and only a single blue line, don't go for it unless you have no other option).

But it does not matter if you can't understand the basic fundamentals of reading the map. You are fighting from your perspective. That's cool that you can read a map and use a compass. And those tools only work if 1) you have them 2) you have the correct map 3) you can figure out where you are as a starting point. As long as I have been doing this, I still take refresher classes. I still use maps as a supplement to GPS to which is to say, I use them together.

Or maybe use an app that has aerial / sat imagery? Those have limitations too. They have a max zoom level that beyond that will not show clearly every single crag and crevasse that someone has to go up or down. What about a dead battery? What if you did not down load the map and you lose cell coverage? On top of that, how many stories have we heard about people getting lost using a GPS? It would be laughable if it did not end in someone getting hurt or killed.

Point is, none, and for the hard of hearing (like myself) NONE of these tools work if you work against them. This takes pre-planning. And above all, if your plan fails, then your fall back plan needs to address safety above all else.

So yeah dude, relax. Stop getting offended because someone said something negative about a veteran. Vets are not infallible.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
They were *not* lost.

They got flat tires while driving in a remote and rugged area in a Subaru, and supposedly had no means to repair the tires. That part was pretty dumb. Deciding to hike out to a paved road to get help was sensible I think. It was < 5 miles and they had plenty of water and were "experienced campers". Instead of hanging out at the car, forcing a SAR operation and hoping they were found before they died, they could hike for a few hours to get help. Unfortunately the main pass they took had very steep walls and long drops when they got closer to their destination. And apparently they made an error in judgement and both ended up badly injured (one fatally).

For me, the cautionary lessons are:

1) Have decent tires and a good spare, and at least a rudimentary ability to fix flats.
2) Respect the terrain and your ability to hike, scramble, crawl across it without getting hurt. If in doubt turn around. Don't get yourself in a position where you *can't* turn around.
Ok, not lost, but they were stranded when the car had two flats. But they were stranded at a safe place.

As for the flats, funny story. Buddy called me up with a flat. I went to lend a hand. It was slow leak, so still could drive a little on it. I asked where his spare tire was. He had zero clue he even had one. I showed him where it was in the trunk and we actually just plugged the hole with one of those plug kits. A lot of people just buy cars they same as they buy a toaster.

I have to disagree with the rest though. A 5 mile walk down the paved road is not a terrible trip, but on uneven terrain, with water and gear is going to get messy fast. I did a hike this past weekend with my buddy at Fort Mountain State Park in N. Georgia. Total of 6 miles and change. Took 3 hours. While the hills were rolling, they were not all busted up like you would find in a deep canyon area like they were at. And we were only hauling maybe 15 pounds of gear, mostly water.

Not sure what experienced means in their context. I've been camping since the 80s and started as a very young kid and I still learn and make mistakes.

But they did not hang out and force a SAR operation. They left their car behind, which sounds like the car was found rather quickly, and did force a SAR operation, and he died in the process. I truly hate it for this situation.

We are all monday morning coaching here and I toss myself into that mix. It's actually not fair to either of the couple. But we need to learn from others.

Foy

Explorer
Ok Professor Charto,,,,, I tried leaving this alone, but alas,,,,,,, I'm callin BS on the BOLD Comments above,,,,, I know Exactally what I'm looking at on a Map, any Map,,,, but my Preferred Map Source is a 7.5Min USGS TOPO Map, showing True North~Grid North~and Magnetic North, and understanding how to use the Attached Declination deg's that are given for that particular area you are looking at on that Map, and with a 7.5Min TOPO you will have 40' Contours,,,,, and that makes it pretty easy to see the lay of the land ahead of you,,,,, ie..... those Contours Stacked-up on each other at various points, shows you that area is Pretty-Dam Steep, and or even Straight up and Down, a Cliff.....
And as for your Military Comment, the Marine Corp as a Very Demanding Orienteering, ie... Mapping and Compass School, I know, as after returning from VietNam in late 1971, I was an Instructure for that Course a Camp Pendleton, CA., until mid-73 when I was Discharged,,,,, So, I'm laying down the Law now as well, careful what you put in Print,,,, you BETTER Know what the Hell your talking about,,,,,, if not, you may get called on it. :cool:
And my Preferred Compass is either a SUUNTO M-2/M-3 or a SILVA 2.0,,,,, Oh and yea, that's my Story and I'm Sticking to it.!!!!
BD in Alaska....

I'll wholeheartedly agree with BigDawwg on a couple of very important points:

1) Maps of the type which any cross-country hiker should have in hand (either downloaded to a device or, best of all, have in hand) are not inherently inaccurate, not at all. The baseline map considered essential here is a USGS 7.5 minute series 1:24,000 scale topographic quadrangle map. While not showing the individual boulders and vegetation obstacles, the USGS topos sure as heck show the gap (pass) between the upper end of the Gold Valley Road drainage in which their car was located, and the narrow, twisting centerline of Willow Creek on the far side of the gap (pass), and the very tightly spaced contours on the flanks of Willow Creek (as contrasted with the generally more widely spaced contours along Gold Valley Road). The topo also clearly shows the elevation at the gap and the elevation down at the mouth of Willow Creek, allowing the user to see that the elevation change between the two points is > 2,000' over a horizontal distance of a mile or two. In other words, the USGS topo shows the user a very steep, winding, and long descent of a very narrow canyon is ahead of the user. One may assume at this point that the narrow and steep nature of the canyon is the reason the two were hard to locate and could not be extracted by helicopter.

2) While not exactly orienteering training, both enlisted men and officers are taught basic topographic map reading skills and compass skills in the US military. My own son was in the Navy, and while his map and compass skills weren't taught until he reached his Seabee battalion after boot camp and A-School, he received the training immediately upon his arrival at battalion as a part of his specific Seabee training because Seabees are ground pounders like the Marines they deploy with.

It's really pretty simple: There is no complete substitute for a map, a compass, and the skills to use them. Heading off into unknown territory without them in inherently risky.

Foy

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
I'll wholeheartedly agree with BigDawwg on a couple of very important points:

1) Maps of the type which any cross-country hiker should have in hand (either downloaded to a device or, best of all, have in hand) are not inherently inaccurate, not at all. The baseline map considered essential here is a USGS 7.5 minute series 1:24,000 scale topographic quadrangle map. While not showing the individual boulders and vegetation obstacles, the USGS topos sure as heck show the gap (pass) between the upper end of the Gold Valley Road drainage in which their car was located, and the narrow, twisting centerline of Willow Creek on the far side of the gap (pass), and the very tightly spaced contours on the flanks of Willow Creek (as contrasted with the generally more widely spaced contours along Gold Valley Road). The topo also clearly shows the elevation at the gap and the elevation down at the mouth of Willow Creek, allowing the user to see that the elevation change between the two points is > 2,000' over a horizontal distance of a mile or two. In other words, the USGS topo shows the user a very steep, winding, and long descent of a very narrow canyon is ahead of the user. One may assume at this point that the narrow and steep nature of the canyon is the reason the two were hard to locate and could not be extracted by helicopter.

2) While not exactly orienteering training, both enlisted men and officers are taught basic topographic map reading skills and compass skills in the US military. My own son was in the Navy, and while his map and compass skills weren't taught until he reached his Seabee battalion after boot camp and A-School, he received the training immediately upon his arrival at battalion as a part of his specific Seabee training because Seabees are ground pounders like the Marines they deploy with.

It's really pretty simple: There is no complete substitute for a map, a compass, and the skills to use them. Heading off into unknown territory without them in inherently risky.

Foy

I would argue that while the USGS maps are not inherently inaccurate, they don't take into account 100% of everything. They simply cannot. Not at a 1:24,000 scale. They show gross elevation and elevation changes, vegetation, overlay, some water features, and large man made objects of importance. You can get a really good sense of what you are up against, but you don't get the full picture.

Here is a video I made a few months ago about how to profile terrain. It allows the user to take those contour lines on the map and actually get a profile view of what they are up against.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online