Sad End to This Cautionary Tale, As Folks Start to Head Back Out Into the Wilds, Pls Be Careful

jhmoore

Regarding signal lights, etc...there have been some good rescue reminders/advice posted here, stimulated by the discussion of how to avoid being a statistic.

If you’re stuck in the remote wilds and have already changed out a flat, and you don’t have or can’t use a tire repair kit on the damaged tire, remember that you now have one pretty worthless tire you can set on fire to create a very noticeable plume of thick, black smoke and also some flames visible hopefully in the dark. Just try not to set the woods, etc., on fire too.

I served in the Army about a bazillion years ago and was reading this thread earlier and wondering whether colored smoke grenades were legal for me to own... though living out West I'd worry a lot about setting the place on fire...

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
When I had a forrester I always considered ditching the donut spare for a full size, never did though.
I didn’t off road it either, I’d been afraid to burn up the clutch.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I served in the Army about a bazillion years ago and was reading this thread earlier and wondering whether colored smoke grenades were legal for me to own... though living out West I'd worry a lot about setting the place on fire...

None. Besides, too big, too heavy, too limited in use.

Wose

The Day/Night Mk8 used to be standard issue for Coast Guard boat crews longer ago than I'd care to admit. I don't know if it it still is. M14s can be civilian purchased in the usual colors. I've considered both, and ultimately rejected stocking either one. Pyro has a shelf life, has to be protected from moisture, etc. They are also signal use items and your concerns about fire are absolutely valid, particularly with the M14s.

For night time signalling we have strobe functions on our head lights, and also some chem lights. Those are both multi use items, so I don't feel bad about packing them. You can take a chemlight on a piece of parachute cord three or four feet long and spin it over your head like a lasso and it can be seen for MILES. Modern aircrews are likely to be using night vision/thermal. I know of one documented case where a Coast Guard aircrew spotted a guy striking a dead BIC lighter as he floated in the ocean. There was no flame, just the sparks from the wheel.

For daytime signalling, in the truck we have some SOL groundsheets that are bright orange on one side, reflective mylar on the other. A little crankcase oil or chunks of a tire can make some pretty thick black smoke.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
We actually did the Willow Canyon hike a couple of months ago. About 2.5 miles from the parking area it becomes impassable without ropes and climbing equipment. We didn't go beyond that point, so no idea what other obstacles the route has to offer.

As others have noted, it's telling that they found their disabled vehicle before they found the hikers. Stay with the vehicle - and if you must leave the vehicle, hike out on the road you came in on.

This photo is the turnaround point - it's a steep almost vertical climb up to get past this waterfall. A skilled free climber could probably scramble up it, but most of us aren't.

145296621_10158885101248340_6586863107116516009_n.jpg

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
This is a good discussion about what we should do. We are having this discussion and learning about what we think went wrong. We are learning from others training and experience. We do not know what training the couple had got or their experiences. I said in my much earlier post on this thread, that getting proper survival training is very important. How many of thoes who are posting have had training or maybe now will get training. How about also getting Wilderness First Aid or First Responder Certification as well?

I really hope that none of us are put into a situation where we need to use our skills. But none of us can ever know that for sure. I have come upon accidents, stranded and broken down vehicle and hikers totally dehydrated and other problems. I have helped many people and the feeling and pride that I felt once they were safe. It is like no other feeling, I have experienced! I have also in other cases done my best to help people who did not make it. It is sad but we can only do what our skills we have learned and trained for. I have felt bad and cried my heart out, wishing I could have done more. I am not a ER doctor with a hospital full of equipment and trained for years as a doctor, I did my best so I think about the ones that went well.

You will never know when the skills you have acquired will be needed.

Da Frenchman

My wife and I did the NOLS WFA course, highly recommended.

rruff

Explorer
That's a great-looking hike! And one that definitely could not be done without technical gear. Though note that the poster of that hike did it as a loop and the other way up wasn't as technical, so perhaps one could go down the way they went up...
There is a rappelling spot in that canyon also. If they got to Willow Falls it would have been a substantial backtrack before they would have found viable alternates. And then they'd never know if they were viable unless they tried them. Could be pretty frustrating.

5e8df6e3cc021.jpg

Jupiter58

+++ for an inreach. Use the plan only when you need and the simple functions are fail safe.
I soloed the TAT on my dual sport and my gf insisted I take one. Best investment ever for safety and piece of mind for the adventurer and the ones at home.
Plus the online tracking function fits right in with the me me me look at me folks!!!!

Yeah, let’s hope she has some insight into what the decision process was here. Definitely a reminder to not become complacent in your planning and decision making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tacomabill

3 days since last update from Inyo County Sheriff's office. Media seems to have no further information. No update on condition of the survivor. Is that normal following an S&R?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Looking back at other cases like this one we will likely NEVER hear any more.
Unless there is a local news interview or some other publication does a story the survivor will have terrible guilt, self doubt and remorse and will likely NEVER want to talk about the event again.
Completely understandable.
The best we can do is learn from afar and not repeat the mistakes.
#1 Stay with the vehicle unless you can SEE something better.
#2 Sat comm is dirt cheap these days, from Spot to InReach to rental.
#3 have more water than you need, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food, worry less about snacks and more about temps/water.
#4 Have a plan and update it as you go, they were away from the planned trip from the start.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I found a follow up story on Yahoo News that said the couple was on a "campus trip to Dead Valley National Park." You can imagine that the rest of the story was useless as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier