Sönke's hard-side popup camper

lowenbrau

Explorer
Thank you so much for sharing this info. I enjoy watching these builds on the net much more than any television program.

soenke

Adventurer
haven said:
Welcome, Sönke! Your Toyota is wonderful! thanks for the extra
construction photos.

Let me pose the question everyone else has been too polite to ask:
What is your estimate of the cost to build a replica of your camper?

Chip Haven

I don´t want to know! :yikes:
Economicially it is totally nonsens. We had to sell our HZJ 71 and the HZJ 78 Camper and where still bleeding.

it took about 2 years more time then figured and around 50% more money.
Though it took so long because 3 friends in different lokations have been involved. So quite some time the rig was just waiting to be continued..

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Wow what a rig! I needed three paper towels to wipe the drool off my keyboard!

soenke

Adventurer
inside

a few pictures from the inside. We wanted a clear, modern look. Our last build was made out of aluminium inside and has been powdered afterwards, this time we prefered marine plywood, on the top and the bottom plastered with Formica (Resopal)

with the top down sleeping is still possible if necessary
1509972.jpg

the bed level is only fastend at the sides, so a huge storageroom results (for spare tire or foldable kayak) and the 4 underfloor storagerooms in the front can be reached. Under the bed are racks to accept Rako-Boxes
1509973.jpg

1509976.jpg

1509977.jpg

the second part of the bed is made up of the table
1509974.jpg

1509975.jpg

drivers side with an open shelf for camping table and seats, Origo stove for inside use, kitchen boxes to take outside (simple drawersystem with Rako-Boxes and aluminium profile). Engelbox in HD drawer.
1509986.jpg

1509987.jpg

to the right is a small sink, a wardrobe wich can be heated to dry cloth, Katadyn waterfilter and outside shower can be plugged in the watersystem.
bottom level with space for a big Rako-Box fpr the outside cooking stuff, shoes etc. Underfloor storageroom with Engelspächer heater.
1509988.jpg

1509989.jpg

Last edited:

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
Sönke,

did you move the motor, or is the motor and the axles still in the same space in reference to the frame?

soenke

Adventurer
Hey Christo,

The engine and axel mounts are stock 80. I wanted to leave the technic as stock as possible due to traveling.
That is the reason for the cab sitting so far up front regarding the fender and front tire position. It is good to see in this picture:
1575513.jpg

Still radiators and visko-clutch dont gain plenty of space...
1592642.jpg

The design would have been a lot better with the cab mounted further back, but then we would have needed custom mounts and driveshafts, e-fan and the frame would have had to be stretched to support the cabin. We had been thinking of this, but I liked the idea of stock technic better and it would have eaten up even more time and money...

greetings Sönke

Last edited:

Mickldo

Adventurer
soenke said:
Moin,
thanks for invitation ...

and for the compliments on our camper ;)

it is still under construction and often anoying us :yikes: with necessary but unexpected and long lasting problemsolvings....

I hopefully will have some time Friday night to rummage in your forum...seems to be just about the importent aspects of life !:elkgrin:

if there are any questions I try to answer them...

Greetings Sönke

G'day Sönke

Good to see you over here.

Once again I reckon your cruiser and camper are awesome. I will be pinching a few ideas when I build my own.

Top work.

soenke

Adventurer
from the outside,

1348651.jpg

advantage not to have a high cabin
1521799.jpg

and advantage having a high cabin to stand upright
1579299.jpg

1348652.jpg

1579301.jpg

Last edited:

soenke

Adventurer
underground...

some more close ups

the bumper; covering the body lift, winchmount and storageroom...
1579364.jpg

1579365.jpg

1579366.jpg

underground:
frontaxel tube is reinforced but still high pinion diff
1579374.jpg

middle tank
1579376.jpg

skidplate and compressed air reservoir
1579377.jpg

rear tank
1579378.jpg

battery and tank switches (box still needs tovbe painted and the watertanks underneath the seats covered..)
1579386.jpg

greetings Sönke

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
soenke,

Thanks for posting more photos. It would be great to see more if you have them.

A couple of questions.
What is the overall weight of your truck when fully loaded? And do you know what the weight of just the camper box is?

Also, it looks like you carry just one spare tire, is this correct?

Thank you.

soenke

Adventurer
yes, with tire size 255/100 or now 325/80 we just carry one spare. The tire is so strong and long lasting one spare should be sufficient. And on the other hand a second tire would be more difficult to stow... I think going on a long journey in the third world I might take a second spare wheel, if I had not the time to wait for a spare to be send in case of need. (we needed two spares when we traveled with 7.5 R 16 tubed on split rims, since we use tubeless and modern tires we seldom had a flat and no problems to fix that very quicky. Since we are useing big tires we never had a problem any more at all..)

the weight of the cabin is about 400kg including heater, furniture, Engel-Box, etc. Making a tented pop up instead of the hard shell hydraulik top would have saved about 100kg.

The weight overall depends on the destination. Betwenn 2.9t and 3.5t. More then 550kg could be fluids...and depending where we go we carry different amounts of spares and tools and wine and food :steak: :friday: :D :beer: . If we take the kayak and gear its about 60-70kg additional....

I don´t have any more digital pictures showing somthing different....maybe one or the other could be used to explain some detail..?..but I think they are quite boring to show ..
A few more pics you can find here, showing our "home" in Iceland last summer
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21136

greeting Sönke

Last edited:

CLynn85

Explorer
Soenke, welcome! Very impressive truck. Nice to see another custom hardsided-popup, they're pretty rare around here but have so many advantages IMO.

Have you had any difficulty sealing between the two sections? (Dust, Moisture, etc)

gjackson

FRGS
Sönke,

Welcome to the Portal, and may I add my name to the growing list of admirers that your vehicle has. Very, very nice build.

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles