in Iceland than I realized? :rolleyes:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
haven said:
I found this statement in one of Sönke's posts on IH8MUD:
"Bonnet and doors are build of f/g with some kevlar layers..."

An up-armored camper? Maybe it's more dangerous to drive
in Iceland than I realized? :rolleyes:

I saw that as well, I guess that it would be to keep the weight down. You can tell they were aware of weight during the build with all the holes drilled in the plywood inside the camper. Very cool design element.

Not sure why kevlar layers though, kevlar is good with flex, so I guess it would help with any frame flex or when closing the door hard.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Not sure why kevlar layers though, kevlar is good with flex, so I guess it would help with any frame flex or when closing the door hard.

Nah. It's cause you just can't tear it, so where normal fibreglass might crack away and tear around bolt holes, bonnet/door hinges & catches the kevlar reduces that greatly. If you have any scraps lying around they are always good to reinforce those specific areas. Of course kevlar over the whole job greatly decreases the chance of penetration from sharp objects too, say in an accident.

I used to have a bit to do with race car composites (v8supercars) a while back and carbon interwoven with kevlar in the one cloth was the norm for most exterior panels particularly if they were under considerable aerodynamic loads (not straight kevlar BTW). That was where the carbon came in by adding stiffness and support. High aero load rear wings were always done in straight carbon where as something that didn't need the stiffness but required great strength such as a shell around a fuel bladder/cell we would make from straight kevlar.

Regards John

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
required great strength

Sorry Maybe "toughness" would be a better description. Definitely not the correct engineering terminology but you get the picture I'm sure. With regards to composites "strength" is commonly referred to as either tensional, compressional or flexural so that was a little misleading. Sorry.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
whatcharterboat said:
Nah. It's cause you just can't tear it, so where normal fibreglass might crack away and tear around bolt holes, bonnet/door hinges & catches the kevlar reduces that greatly. If you have any scraps lying around they are always good to reinforce those specific areas. Of course kevlar over the whole job greatly increases the chance of penetration from sharp objects too, say in an accident.

I used to have a bit to do with race car composites (v8supercars) a while back and carbon interwoven with kevlar in the one cloth was the norm for most exterior panels particularly if they were under considerable aerodynamic loads (not straight kevlar BTW). That was where the carbon came in by adding stiffness and support. High aero load rear wings were always done in straight carbon where as something that didn't need the stiffness but required great strength such as a shell around a fuel bladder/cell we would make from straight kevlar.

Regards John

Yes that makes sense. Thanks.

soenke

Adventurer
Moin,
thanks for invitation ...

and for the compliments on our camper ;)

it is still under construction and often anoying us :yikes: with necessary but unexpected and long lasting problemsolvings....

I will have some time Friday night to rummage in your forum...seems to be just about the importent aspects of life !:elkgrin:

if there are any questions I try to answer them...

Greetings Sönke

Last edited:

soenke

Adventurer
Haven described everything better then I could already...

I have just a few digital pictures from friends or dias I´ve scanned. So they will be pretty much the same as already posted on mud...

Last edited:

soenke

Adventurer
First we wanted to stretch the frame and make a longer cabine with an upright back.
While making the first set up we noticed, that we might go without touching the frame...
here finding the design, this was no good:frown:
1510415.jpg

the metall work, stretching the J4 body and the fenders, the build up of the cabine, welding the tanks and most of the work getting 40 and 80 together was done by Markus ( www.offroad-schmiede.com )...we did most of the planing and the design (sometimes contrary to Markus´concepts, sometimes fabrication ways forced us to build different to our plans) and we build the interior / furniture
1510416.jpg

1510442.jpg

transporting the cabine to get started with the inside
1510417.jpg

we could use a well equipted carpenders garage in the neighborhood
1510418.jpg

Last edited:

soenke

Adventurer
some from the build up time:

placing the J4 body on the 80 frame. It´s sitting further toward the front then original when the 1HD-T is keept in place. Still very little space is left when the visko-clutch fan is used. The Body has to be mounted higher to provide space for the tires underneath the fender.
1550187.jpg

the frame goes in curves, wich helped to make it not to easy for Marcus to manufacture the cabin-mounts
1550188.jpg

The vintage A/C radiator fits perfectly in front of the radiator from a HZJ75. Adapted metal fenders and aluminium storage front bumper. You can see the 13cm body lift
1550189.jpg

f/g sandwichplates glued to the aluminium frame of the cabine
1550190.jpg

the top, easy to lift with two persons
and the extended J45 roof
1550191.jpg

1550192.jpg

getting it together
1550193.jpg

just to take it apart again and again.... untill everything fits quite well.
Time for some paint
1550194.jpg

1550195.jpg

stabilizers for the fenders
1550196.jpg

Last edited:

soenke

Adventurer
without the cabin

1556295.jpg

The window is bigger then stock, a Reimo window to slide open. In the cabins front wall is a matching window, allowing emegerncy exit to the cab..
I liked the look, would be nice as a flat bed...

1557701.jpg

if you have any technical questions I try to answer and see if I can find an explaining picture...

Last edited:

Willman

Sönke,

Welcome to the ExPo!

This has to be the best LC build know to man!

Thanks for sharing!

:)

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome, Sönke! Your Toyota is wonderful! thanks for the extra
construction photos.

Let me pose the question everyone else has been too polite to ask:
What is your estimate of the cost to build a replica of your camper?

Chip Haven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior