Rusty Underside

Trainwreck

So recently I noticed a fair amount of rust on the underside of my 01 Double Cab.-----It came from Ohio, so I'm assuming its from the winter road salt and such.----Drice shaft and pumpkin/ underside look kind of rough.-----Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do.----I thought about using a brush to de-bur as much as possible and then paint or LineX the underside------------any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.------I'll try to get a picture.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
You could brush as much of it off as you can and then coat everything that was or is rusty with Ospholic Acid, and then paint as you had mentioned.

The Ospholic Acid is green and can be found at the hardware store.
It somehow changes the chemical make up of rust and stabalizes it, someone else here may know more about it.

I have used it in the past, never on a vehicle, for rusty metal, clean off the rust and Ospho the metal then paint....

datrupr

Expedition Leader
If the rust is just surface rust you could just brush it off and re spray it with P.O.R.(Paint Over Rust) A new product designed to go over rust and stop it's progress. Apparently it actually works. But, coming from AZ I have never tried it.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
POR looks like a cool product

Even with POR I would try to brush off as much of the rust as you can.
That way you will reveal any structural integrity issues that the rust may have developed.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Use naval jelly to remove the rust, it can be found in the body section of an auto parts store. It works really well, then coat it with por

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
POR 15 works very well. It completely stops the rust as upposed to covering it. I have used it on a Land Cruiser before. FYI - POR 15 is NOT UV stable. It needs a top coat if the part will ever see sun.

But for an 01, I would be surpirsed that rust is anything more than normal surface contamination. But if you are worried, brush off as much of the rust as possible and paint on some POR15. Then if you have an extra $100, get the truck undercoated - not only will it protect it, it the truck will be a bit quieter.

Pete

Robthebrit

Explorer
POR 15 holds my trucks together, I have used all of their products and they are all nice products. POR 15 does require proper surface prep, you can paint directly over rust and it'll be ok, a better approach is to use their 'metal ready' product which coats/converts the rust to something that looks like its been galvanized. This is the ideal surface for the POR15 paint.

Once its been painted nothing likes to stick to it, if you need to put anything on top of it, including some liners, you will need to prime it with their 'self etching' primer. Once this primer is dry you can put regular paint products over it.

As was said above its not UV stable but its only cosmetic, the integrity of the coating is affected by UV. In strong UV it ages very quickly and looks very dull, most go to a really dull black, the silver goes to a dull gray which is almost primer colored.

They also have a chassis black paint which is UV stable and is somewhat rust resistant, its much better than normal paint but not as good as the POR 15. If you are ultimately going to line it you may be better off doing the metal ready step followed directly by the chassis paint.

Their own chassis paint does not stick to dried POR 15 without the etching primer - ask me how I know...

Like I said I have used lots of their stuff on my 30+ years old trucks (one of which was a snow blower for 28 years), I am more than happy to share my experiences, what worked and what did not.

Rob

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Robthebrit said:
As was said above its not UV stable but its only cosmetic, the integrity of the coating is affected by UV. In strong UV it ages very quickly and looks very dull, most go to a really dull black, the silver goes to a dull gray which is almost primer colored.

Good point Rob... that's right. It still works, it just doesn't look too good after a while. I have actually seen the black go to color like road salt on a black car - it can look pretty nasty.

Trainwreck

Thanks so much everyone!--------hopefully I can stop it soon.---Living here on the coast is only going to make it worse.

Still wondering about the LineX-------anyone done the underside of their rig??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles