RustOleum Spray Bedliner Experiences?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
On my trucks I’ve always sworn by Line-X. I did the interior of a blazer with Herculiner once, while very strong/hard it wasn’t thick and never seemed to build enough for any sound deadening. Sold the truck after 2 years so I don’t know how well it held up.

I recently tried some RustOleum spray on liner as a test for the inside of my trailer. Roughed the paint with a scotch brute on a die grinder, wiped with acetone. Dried. Then sprayed a flash coat followed by 2 coats following the can directions. 24 hours later and I can scratch the rubber surface with my fingernail. It easily peels off the paint (not cleanly in sheets, but easily) with a pocketknife.

Is this expected or is something wrong? Will more cure time help? Did I just choose product poorly? For $8 I thought it was a good experiment that might help with the slow pace I tend to use on projects. Spray cans let you do 1 panel at a time with very little prep or cleanup and a beautiful finish.
Anyone else have an experience to share?

buellconvert

That's exactly the experience I've had with it, it's not worth the time in preparation or the cost of purchase...I've never had much luck with any of the rattle can spray liners

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
I find it needs plenty more than 24 hours to cure. Give it a minimum of several days before testing the durability. I also tend to put another coat of paint over it. Engine enamel seems to work well. I've done the rocker panels of my truck and it's held up for a number of years. It's never going to be as durable as line-x, but I find it works pretty well.

D

Deleted member 9101

It definitely needs a few days to fully harden.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Needs a thick buildup and time to cure and still isn't very durable. Goes on way too thin, so it will flow thru a rattlecan. Go with a thicker roll-on type.
I've used the leftover to coat the bottoms of some very thin Aquatainers. Even that was useless, as it doesn't stick well to HDPE and the coating is too thin to have any strength in itself.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I have not used the Rustoleum product, but have had great results from Monstaliner.
I used a rattle can bed liner on some rocker panels with decent results (EZ Liner). Thoroughly sanded, acetone wipe, then apply in layers...
The product has adhered very well (lasted many years). The color fade is the only issue...black has "grayed" over time, perhaps a clear coat would have helped. If I was doing another bed liner project, I'd use Monstaliner. Rolling it on works well, and I've sprayed it using an undercoat spray gun for a textured result.
Cheers

NatersXJ6

Explorer
On a related but side note: the fake aircraft remover that you can get at Lowe’s is useless crap. $45 for a gallon and it will barely bubble auto paint after 20 minutes, requires a metal scraper and barely loosens 2 coats of paint. I’m going to have to go back to da sanding as primary means of paint removal.

A good indication: if you get paint stripper on your skin and it doesn’t result in instantaneous ghost-pepper-in-the-eye-agony... it probably isn’t worth the money.

“The tingle tells you it is working!”

tdferrero

I used the Rustoleum spray bedliner for my drawers I built, but that's about all I'd use it for. Not a bad product for the money, but it doesn't excel in any category. It also collects more dust than its competitors due to its more spikey texture. In retrospect, I should have just done the roll on Raptor/Monstaliner.

zblink

ive had decent luck with Raptor Liner in both the kits and the 2K aerosol cans. Its a pain in the butt prep wise, ive had best luck with bare metal, clean with acetone, sand / rough up, clean again, acid etch primer, then a few coats of the raptor liner (takes 3 days to dry and about a week to fully cure)

the 2K aerosol cans are only good for 45-60 minutes from when you pop the bottom because the hardener is then mixed in.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Rustoleum isnt anything great.

If you want a good DIY spray in, stick to Raptor or Monstaliner.
Both are incredibly tough, provided you follow the prep and install directions to the letter.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Yes, I petty well learned my lesson on using the Rustoleum for certain parts of this latest trailer refresh. I was trying to do rattle cans in a misguided attempt to reduce overspray in the garage and allow single panel work with less mess/prep/equipment cleaning. I failed.

however, to answer the original question, after a week or so the bedliner product is well cured and can actually be sanded to take out any runs. It looks pretty decent so far.

gspfunk

I’ve been using Seymour Truck Bed Liner spray and it’s holding up really well. It also had better reviews on Amazon than the other sprays. Granted, I haven’t put it through anything rigorous.

emulous74

I have not had good results with it. I painted my "slider steps" with it and after a month and a half, it's already rubbing away where I "step" on them. I chemically etched the steel, primed it and then did 4 coats of the "bedliner" paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles