Rust advice

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Hello fellas,

My wife is wanting an Unlimited Rubicon and if we buy used, where are the rust issues to look for. I'm a Land Cruiser guy and don't know squat about Jeeps. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
JKU or LJ? Regardless on either, really check the control arm brackets and really anywhere on the frame, wheel wells too. Best thing to do it put a finger in some of the drilled holes along the frame (rear and front) and feel around for flaking on the inside. Not sure about JKUs, but TJ/LJ frames rust from the inside out so whatever rust you see on the outer frame consider it double on the inside. Best bet is to bring a screwdriver with you and "stab" at the frame to make sure no paint is hiding swiss cheese.

troy

Adventurer
Up here in salt country, they rust around the door hinges. I have an '12 with 100k and it is starting to bubble a little bit on the hinges. Mine is better than most I see, as I wash frequently in winter. The frame has some surface rust, but nothing I would be scared of. In MO, you should be able to find a fairly rust free JK.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Thanks Guys! Would we better off just buying a new one or are they getting worse for quality.

Everybody knows Toyotas don't rust, right? :)

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Thanks Guys! Would we better off just buying a new one or are they getting worse for quality.

Everybody knows Toyotas don't rust, right? :)

As far as I know the JK quality is pretty good, nothing fancy but reliable to say the least.

I wish that were the case, otherwise I would have kept my rusty FJ40 instead of buying my Jeep

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Hypothetically speaking, if you were looking for a fairly new or new Rubicon and all things equal, what year would you look at. In other words, I should buy a 20-- because it has a..... and the other years didn't. Just trying to get a quick education.

Thanks Guys!

Alphonse

Observer
2007-2010 have a weak 3.8l from a minivan and a crappy 4speed automatic tranny. In these years I would look for a manual transmission.

2011 transition year has the latest interior as current models but the same engines and transmissions as prior years.

2012 is the first year of the newer 3.6l pentastar engines and good automatic transmissions. Used same manual tranny as older ones. This year there were a lot of issues with cylinder heads cracking. Only look at this year if you can confirm the head was replaced under warranty.

2013+ no major issues to report. Gets better mileage and more power in the upper rpms than the 2007-2011 3.8l.

I have a 2011 JKUR extensively modded but stock engine with a manual transmission. I don't notice much difference driving my buddies 2013 manual tranny. In my opinion if buying an automatic get a 2013+, if a manual a 2011 or 2013+. The newer interior is much nicer than the original pre 2011 interior.

Last edited:

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Thanks man, very good advice. She wants an auto. this time, through with shifting. To be honest, 2013 would be the oldest anyway. I'm not big on buying used, unless something like my old FJ55. For every day driving I like a new one. Sometimes new doesn't mean better though.

Thanks for taking the time.

gfe jeep

IMO

I would not buy a newer model with the 3.6. No room for building under the hood. I have a 2008, 2 door JK 6 speed manual and have had no problems, (other than the ones I created offroad) and love the room for building. I would not get a 3.8 with auto trans for reasons suggested above and more.

If you do not think you will build it, a newer model should be fine. They are (JK's) the best "out of the box" Jeep made so far. (This is my second Jeep. First was a 93 Renegade 2 door).

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Yeah, no building on this one. Wheels and tires type stuff. Thanks for posting, I'm thinking just get a new one with what we want on it. That said, what motor with an auto?

Kevin108

Explorer
Because of the high prices commanded by used examples versus the slightly higher price with a (typically) lower interest rate, buying new likely makes the most sense.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
Well that makes it an easy decision, I thought they still offered a V8. I was hoping the diesel would be offered by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94