Russia with Rover

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Thanks for the report lacrits 68.

By the way, I have some cousins in Orebro, SWE my mother visited a couple years ago. I would love to get over to Sweden someday.

lacrits68

Observer
hi!

while processing images i found couple of "worth publishing"

Our son 4 yo on hsi 1st "russia safari"...bit sleepy in the morning...!

russia4v.jpg

and some domestic russian trucks....some might reconize them? ;)

domestic.jpg

1st campsite

campsite.jpg

local dirt roads and bridges...!

russiabridge-1.jpg

lokal "SPA" bath...!

vesiputous-1.jpg

enjoy!

--Jan--

computeruser

Explorer
How did I miss this post the first time around? Who knows.

Awesome trip. Keep on posting pics! I have a list of places that I would travel to if/when I became wealthy enough to do so. This is one of those trips. I would love to see the time-stands-still state of affairs in rural Russia.

haakonbs

Looks like a great trip. We participated in a trophy called Arctic Trophy last year. Russia is a great place for offroading and trips.

2858395779_9c9d5f45e9_b.jpg

Bilde%28066%29.jpg

Bilde%28063%29.jpg

More pics here

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great pics and reports from both of you.

Question, is tenting/camping a free for all in any wooded area or are there campsites/reserves or such that you have to go to?

I dig the worn out bridges. How much recon do you do before crossing?

haakonbs

You can pretty much camp where ever you like to. No restrictions to camp fire.

We walked over some of the bridges before driving. Sometimes we ended up going through the river instead :)

lacrits68

Observer
You can pretty much camp where ever you like to. No restrictions to camp fire.

We walked over some of the bridges before driving. Sometimes we ended up going through the river instead :)

I second that! we allso camped all over the Karelian isthmus and never had any problems!
We walked tru All bad/flooded bits of road before driving and all bad/weak bridges got separe inspection before crossing! Better safe than sorry!

I realy can recomend "russia by car" travel!

We are currently planing new trip to be next summer! This time in an 110 TDI

--Jan--

Last edited:

Woodsman

Adventurer
Russia is just so vast. There are many lifetimes of adventures awaiting those with the time and the means. Why is life so short . . . and money so scarce ?

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
Wow those are some cool pictures, I wish I could read all the captions in the blog. I would love to take a trip through Europe at some point, Master-Pull's roots are in Iceland and we have been talking about a company trip of sorts.:)

-Alex

lacrits68

Observer
What kind of visa did you get to travel over there? Did you need to have a 'sponsor'?

Hi!

Just "normal" turist visa, only "requirment" was that i needed to get an dokumet that insures that i visited places i told officials im gona visit!

there is 2 ways to do that, take in on local "hotel" or go to local hotel pay them for filling in an form for you! ( this case it was cheaper to stay overnight, and got an nice WARM shower!)

No "sponsor" needed! They are "loosing "up all that! Visa was quick business, send in form, pictures and back comes invoice, pay it an 2 days later you have visa in mailbox!

--Jan--

Desert Taco

Observer
Hi!

Just "normal" turist visa, only "requirment" was that i needed to get an dokumet that insures that i visited places i told officials im gona visit!

there is 2 ways to do that, take in on local "hotel" or go to local hotel pay them for filling in an form for you! ( this case it was cheaper to stay overnight, and got an nice WARM shower!)

No "sponsor" needed! They are "loosing "up all that! Visa was quick business, send in form, pictures and back comes invoice, pay it an 2 days later you have visa in mailbox!

--Jan--

Thanks. It sounds exactly the same as when I was back there in 2003, but I had heard that they had actually gotten stricter about it since then. Good to know that is not the case :)

Nickyrash

The places in this tread is very good the vehicles what the have used is very strong i think so but the development of the road should be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles