Runva Winches, Any good?

Third

I favor the Sherpas when it's not just for bumper art...

Fatboyz

Observer
I favor the Sherpas when it's not just for bumper art...

Thanks for the link! Haven't heard of Sherpa! Nice 17000 winch and free shipping to Canada!

LRNAD90

Adventurer
I guess i am poor at communicating. The main issue I have is with supporting countries like China, for reasons already noted. I have no problem with owning a British built Land Rover (under German ownership at the time it was made) or German BMW (though it was manufactured here in the USA). I'd have a problem buying a New Volvo, or Lotus now, as again it is pumping profits back into the Chinese economy. But whatever, this is so far off topic, I now need to apologize to the Original Poster, and I will not continue to muck up his thread anymore..

Fatboyz

Observer
I guess i am poor at communicating. The main issue I have is with supporting countries like China, for reasons already noted. I have no problem with owning a British built Land Rover (under German ownership at the time it was made) or German BMW (though it was manufactured here in the USA). I'd have a problem buying a New Volvo, or Lotus now, as again it is pumping profits back into the Chinese economy. But whatever, this is so far off topic, I now need to apologize to the Original Poster, and I will not continue to muck up his thread anymore..
Thank You sir! I did gain some insight from this thread. Not all Warn Winches are built in China. Learned of a new company I didn't know about. Some things to think about. I have a little time before I drive the 6 hours to the US border so I can pick up my Move Bumper DIY kit at the border shipping outlet. (they don't ship to Canada. Cheers fellas. It's -20 here now and I need to get my expedition truck plugged in so I can head out for the weekend.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
If it helps with clout anymore, I just saw here that Earthcruiser AUS is using Runva on this G-Wagen;

Fatboyz

Observer
Any chance we can revive this thread and stick to discussing the Runva? Actual user experiences and reliability testing would be awesome. If the Runva is a decent quality winch, it's a smoking deal for Canadian buyers.

I did buy one as you say a smoking deal for Canadian Buyers. Have had great success. Even the snatch block that came with it is awesome. Here's my pics of my bumper build with it.

Attachments

• IMG_2224.JPG
    IMG_2224.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2227.JPG
    IMG_2227.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 41

billiebob

Not really interested in what the quality is, when there are American Winch companies that make quality products.
lol..... There is no such thing as "Made in America" anymore. Even Warn gets most of their winch parts from China and assembles them in the USA. But more to the point..... China will build to any spec. IF you want quality engineering, China can do it. We just keep shooting ourselves in the foot by putting price first..... and China will adjust the quality to meet those low expectations. Which is why they are so dominant in manufacturing.

If this winch sells well in Australia.... I would not hesitate.

Fatboyz

Observer
I don't use it often so can't say how it would hold up to everyday hard use. That being said I have had Warn winches mounted on my work trucks in Northern Alberta for over 30 years. I'm assuming 30 years ago those were all American made winches. I don't notice any issues now with those Chinese VR series winches. Every time I have had a winch fail it was in the plug in because it sat out front in the muck and road salt all the time. The one time you need it it doesn't work because a wire has rusted off. This Runva is very smooth both powering in and when just free wheeling out. We bought a Smitty built for our new F550 Rescue truck (Smittybuilt gave an awesome discount as we're volunteers) and so far I'm not seeing any differance in performance. Again the winch on the rescue truck sees infrequent use.

rock_shoes

Observer
I did buy one as you say a smoking deal for Canadian Buyers. Have had great success. Even the snatch block that came with it is awesome. Here's my pics of my bumper build with it.

It tucks into your bumper quite nicely with everything easily accessible turned that way. Well done.

Enigma

Observer
The boys on 4WD Action in Oz seem to be running the Runva's now with good results.

This could have been an awesome winch review, but sadly you would need to subscribe to their magazine to get the details. Tl;DR the Runva won (but not the same Runva that Costco.ca sells)

Last edited:

trae

Adventurer
Hey folks, another Canadian here. Any more feedback on runvas?

Is the control box relocatable? I have limited space inside my bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles