Running wire to camper?

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I'm rewiring the camper to get rid of the mess that the factory invented. From the aux. battery to the camper, I'm going to run a couple 6g cables With a Mega Fuse holder close to the battery and I need to know what best practice is. I had considered using 6g wire from a set of battery cables-what do you think? I'm a little concerned about the quality of the insulation, so I'm not so sure.
My other option is to run some 6g cable (bought from NAPA or similar), but I don't know if I can run both in the same loom or if I need to loom them separately.

Inside the camper I intend to use 14 and 12 gauge wire to power the fridge, furnace, and CPAP, after terminating the wire at a Blue Sea fuse box. I'll also add some lighting, probably decent quality fixtures for RV's, adding LED conversions to them.
I'm also going to add three or four Blue Sea 12V cigar plugs and an Engel fridge plug to the sleeping platform for the CPAP, phone charging, etc.

I'd appreciate any ideas and guidance.

Thanks.

fjatheart

Adventurer
How many feet of wire will you need to run from the aux battery to your fuse panel? From my experience with the quality of jumper cable wire and shielding, I don't think it will last or is made to conduct and carry constant heat, without the shielding wearing out prematurely.

Consider looking at the wire inventory at www.tiewraps.com. I've ordered a lot of 2 gauge wire from them for wiring aux power on commercial diesel trucks. It's tough and high quality. I use Dell City for cable ends, which I typically crimp on.

You might want to check out the selection of LED's from www.superbrightleds.com. They have a nice selection, many with housings, which could help you with not having to retro fit a RV light.

Happy wiring!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior