Running the truck in idle? for power

This is an ALH TDI Intake Manifold (early 2000's VW Diesel, one of the first direct injections we had)
g2gJvsK.jpg

These problems went away and never came back when they started deleting the EGR, yeah when everything is up to operating temp and running 100% in theory it should not be much unburnt fuel in it.. the problem is cold start is when most engines pollute the most until they reach operating temp, EGR is used to hasten this and reduce time spent w/a cold engine.. durring these times when the vehicle has the worst pollution its being forced to breath its exhaust.. its like breathing your own farts after getting drunk at a Mexican restaurant.

If any of the air sensors (Manifold Pressure/Mass Airflow/O2 Sensor) start to fail or do fail and get driven on for any time then the EGR would be recirculating some pretty nasty stuff too.
What am I looking at there...? Is that the EGR housing? And is that a gas or diesel engine?

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

dreadlocks

Today on Forged in Fire, Contestants have to first build a forge out of an old volkswagen.. then they must build a knife out of the same volkswagen..

It seems like this conversation got a little bit hijacked by the introduction of the diesel. The Diesels have been direct injected for a long time and have their own set of problems. But I thought we were talking about gas direct injected engines which is a relatively new concept. While there may be some minimal EGR soot in a gas engine it should be much cleaner than a diesel engine before reaching the cat. Do you have any examples of gas engines with this level of a problem...?

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

(none)

Adventurer
I believe Ford states each hour of idling is roughly equivalent to 25miles. So that kinda gives you an idea. Going on a trip and have to idle your truck for a few hours total over the whole trip? not that big of a deal. Idling for hours a day? Not the best for it.

Either way, the engine will survive

D

Deleted member 9101

Dreadlocks is correct. There is an industry built around pecan shell blasting intakes and heads due to carbon build up. I just saw pictures of a 2017 f150 3.5 EcoBoost with about 20000 miles that looked like it had 300,000 miles.

If a 2017 looked that bad, then it had a problem.

For 2018 the EcoBoost has both direct and port injection. It eliminates dirty valves and maintains the motors efficiency.

The 3.5 will dirty the back of the intake valves if the wrong oil is used or if the oil change interval was to long. If you wait for the truck to tell you to change the oil in an EcoBoost, you'll have problems.

A simple catch can solve the problem if you want to be anal about it.

D

Deleted member 9101

Buy a cheap gasoline engine, like a Ford 6.2L which is rock solid, and idle the hell out of it. Go for it. Just change the oil every X amount of hours (as per the display) and you will be fine. If the engine ever were to blow up, do you know how cheap it is to replace a 6.2L? Or fix it? Cheap.

I often do wonder why we spend so much time planning out solar systems and complex propane and generator systems. Would make a lot more sense to just build an all electric camper with 6kw batteries and then run the truck automatically at high idle anytime the batteries hit 50%. Simple.

That's how I would handle it. Either bolt on an extra alternator or run one high output one. No need to make it complicated.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
6131 hours.
3308 hours at idle.
140 000 miles.

Ford 6.2L. Runs perfectly. It's my office, and my escape from heat stroke or frost bite. I work outdoors.

Still, I have to admit. I wouldn't use an idling truck as a camping tool, unless I had to. In my work trucks case, idling is less harm than starting and stopping 6 times a day.

VW has had some issues, not really a good example of idling a Toyota.

I believe that the EGR on a Ford 6.2L does absolutely nothing at idle. It is computer controlled now. I think a vacuum control valve turns off the vaccuum supply to the EGR when at idle.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz