Running the TAT in a 4x4

x32792

Adventurer
845587611_e3vHC-L.jpg

The TAT (Trans America Trail) is a GPS plotted course running across the backside of the United States. It runs from Jellico, TN to the Pacific Ocean.

TAT website: http://www.transamtrail.com/

I'm running it in my lightly modified 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport to Monticello, UT. In Monticello, I will leave the TAT to do some of the scenic trails in the southern part of UT before returning to Florida on two lane roads thru Small Town, USA.

Currently posting a Ride Report on Adventure Rider, a motorcycle adventure touring site...the place were I was first infected with the idea to do the TAT.

If you'd like to follow my trip, please visit http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12771993#post12771993

I am currently in Asheville, NC and about 200 miles from the TAT trailhead.

John

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Zebra

Adventurer
Bring it! I completed TN TAT on motorcycle and MS and MO in a 4x4 truck. Most excellent drive. If the roads are wet, the clay can be treacherously slick!
Will follow along! :coffeedrink:

Scott Brady

Founder
Use caution in Nevada and parts of Utah, which are single-track only sections. I am happy to provide some more specifics if needed.

x32792

Adventurer
OK, Now What?

851766474_2bcLE-L.jpg

OK, I'm back home and have completed the TN, MS, AR, OK, NW and into CO portion of the TAT plus some wonderful days spent in UT ending at the Zion National Park. Slabbed back to FL. All in all, about 5,500-6,000 miles.

Both me and the Jeep are still in one piece, so where to next?

Any suggestions? Please note the Jeep is stock with 30" A/T tires.

John

PS The treacherous Ms Nuvi will not be invited on my next trip.

Oilworker

Explorer
@Adventurewest: So it´s not possible to cross the USA in a 4x4 offroad then?

Are there only these roadbook scrolls or also GPS Tracks available?

It definitly sounds like a great adventure trip.

Oh, how long does it usually take to drive East to West?

x32792

Adventurer
Trans America Trail (TAT)

You can buy a set of maps and roll charts from Sam, the map maker, at http://www.transamtrail.com/about/

The portion of the TAT I ran was the easiest. There was only one 1/4 mile section in AR which turned me back...and only because I was alone and had no winch. Until you reach CO, which was closed when I got there due to snow, the Eastern portion of the TAT is very do-able...the more narrow and shorter the wheel base the better....My 4L stock TJ was well suited for the job.

The only caveat about running the Eastern portion of the TAT is the weather...RAIN and SNOW. If there has been heavy rain, OK and NM are impassible. The high passes in CO are closed by snow until mid June (maybe later this year?)

For the Western most part of the TAT, you need more Jeep than I had. Something with larger tires, more ground clearance, a winch and I highly recommend not to run it alone. The Western portion also contains some single tracks which would require work-arounds.

A photo rich Ride Report posted on AdvRider by DR. Rock (entitled "Mobius Trip") is an excellent resource for armchair adventurers and anyone thinking about running the whole thing.

John

Oh, how long does it usually take to drive East to West?

Depending on the weather and how many hours a day you want to drive, the portion I ran can be done in about two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

memcruiser

Observer
how long?

John, How many days did it take you to get to utah from the memphis area?

Thanks for the great report. Read some of it on ADV. What a great website!

x32792

Adventurer
John, How many days did it take you to get to utah from the memphis area?

Thanks for the great report. Read some of it on ADV. What a great website!

854461667_V7eFM-L.jpg

834527932_ja9Pn-L.jpg

853459722_3p2AF-M.jpg

852652503_EJtfs-L.jpg

858064575_GU8pU-L.jpg

858064377_Hj8yS-L.jpg

Your question is difficult to answer because there are so many variables. And before you whip out your Road Atlas, please remember the TAT is not the shortest distance between two points and the weather is a key factor. Now how fast do you drive and how many hours a day do you want to drive? From Memphis to Trinidad, CO I travelled at 50 to 7 mph for an average of 25-30 mph ....but again, I was lucky with the weather.

859095477_nagwq-L.jpg

When I reached CO, I went to UT using the Cimarron Stripe in northern NM. This is a paved road with altitudes up to 10,000 feet. The CO section of the TAT is a bit longer, so I'm guessing that would take about 4 days if the high passes were open.

In my unofficial opinion, Trinidad, CO marks the end of the Eastern and the beginning of the Western TAT. In a perfect Universe, this is where you'd switch over to a more off road orientated vehicle and travel with one or more experienced trail buddies.

If a limited time frame is your issue, you might want to do as others have done and run the TAT in sections as your schedule allows. Drive as far as you can in the time you have, mark the spot where you stop and re-deploy next season. I actually think this may be the best way to do the TAT.

John

Last edited:

[miko]

John, I've also been bit by the TAT bug via ADVrider. Family life means I can't do it by bike, so your trip is exactly what I've been dreaming about. I'm off to ADV to read your ride --err-- drive report. I may have a few more questions for you after that. Thanks for sharing your trip...

peace*mike

deadbeat son

Explorer
I see you spent the night in Liberal, KS. Unfortunately, I grew up there. Not much to see. Great report though; so much so I'm considering the trip within the next year!

x32792

Adventurer
Liberal, KS and TAT in 4x4

I see you spent the night in Liberal, KS. Unfortunately, I grew up there. Not much to see. Great report though; so much so I'm considering the trip within the next year!

Liberal, KS isn't bad...Heck, it's the home of Dorothy and Toto. And I had a very nice meal at the local one-off, Mom'N'Pop café.

As an interesting side note, the response to my 4x4 TAT adventure on Expedition Portal has been very positive while over on AdvRider, where I first got the infection, not always the case...One guy posted he would not be happy until my report was thrown off of AdvRider completely.

Running the TAT in a 4x4 is not for everyone. It is a viable and desirable option for some....For others it is blasphemy. For me, it was an adventure I will long remember.

John

Last edited:

deadbeat son

Explorer
Liberal, KS isn't bad...Heck, it's the home of Dorothy and Toto. And I had a very nice meal at the local one-off, Mom'N'Pop café.

When my family moved to that town in 1979, it was a pretty nice place to live and had a lot of local flavor. Wal-Mart came to town in 1986 and pretty much all of the local businesses have disappeared. I left in 1996 and only make it back to visit my parents once every year or two, and even then only for a day or two at a time.

As an interesting side note, the response to my 4x4 TAT adventure on Expedition Portal has been very positive while over on AdvRider, where I first got the infection, not always the case...One guy posted he would not be happy until my report was thrown off of AdvRider completely.

I noticed the negativity there as well; it's a shame really. It seems like you enjoyed your trip, and I'm glad you did. You definitely got to see a lot of country others never will. That in itself is validation of the effort and expense.

Running the TAT in a 4x4 is not for everyone. It is a viable and desirable option for some....For others it is blasphemy. For me, it was an adventure I will long remember.

John

Although I would love to run the trail on my motorcycle, I ride a 250cc bike because I like to keep the weight down for the terrain I ride and it would NOT be a good choice for a trek of that distance. I'm not inclined to purchase a new bigger bike specifically to make the trip, nor do I quite travel light enough to do the route on a bike. My Tacoma, on the other hand, would be at home making the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz