running chains on the front tires

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
does anyone know if i can run chains on the front wheels of a 2000 tacoma?

I have about 2-2.5" of lift, icon extended coilovers and camburg upper arms. the tires are 33x10.5's

i was planning on some RUD's but everything i have read says you shouldnt run chains on the front

thanks
t

jarmentrout

Observer
I chain the front (and rear) of my nissan xterra often. Depends on the chains. I have a type that has a stiff cable that runs on the inside. This eliminates the potential clearance issues with brake lines and abs wires. Its an absolute tank with all tires chained up.

Don't know specifics about the Tacoma though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I ran chains on the front of my '05 Tundra last year. My chains are made of chain with pretty large links. They just barely touched the upper control arms, so I did not go far with them on. However, it was a tank when they were on. I just need wheel spacers or back spaced rims.

steve103

Observer
no you can not run chains or cables with stock wheels. now if you run an after market wheel with a bigger off-set you can. i run rudd chains and love-em.
if you look their is a little nub that is realy close to the tire,so with chains it will contact. good luck. oh and only rear chains may not do it for you,in the past only rear did not work for me up the hill out of gold lake CA.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Interesting to hear. I've run changes on my 2010 with stock wheels and tires many times. Is it a clearance issue on the 1st gens?

I ran RUD chains on my 2000 Taco with after market wheels 17 X 8 with 315/70/17 BFG A/Ts (35/12.5/17)and had no issues. I recently replaced the after market wheels with the factory 16 X 7s and 255/85/16 KM2s. I now have All Pro upper control arms and it appears to have the same room I had on my old tire set up. I plan on running chains this winter. When I get home I will post some pictures. Good luck.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
thanks, so the only real clearance issue is with the upper control arm?

i would really like to run them on the font. I have to check out some RUD's at a local shop and see if they will let me install them without driving around.. I am using soft8 steel rims with 1/4" spacer on the fronts with longer wheel studs.

t

Close but no contact! This is my old set up. I am now running 255/85/16 on factory wheels. When I sell these chains I will by new ones and post them up.... that may be a few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz