Running Away with only 40hp: Failing to Find Myself Out West in an Old VW

slowlane

Observer
So I'm laid up for the next 6 weeks with a broken foot and not a lot to do. This is a trip report that I have been going back and forth about writing for a few years now, mostly because in many ways I saw it as a failure for a long time. There were some great high points along the way, best of which was taking my dad to a place he wanted to go for most of his life but never did. But the hoped for personal transformation, like you read about in many upbeat travel stories, remained elusive, and the year following the trip was one of the lowest in my life. Looking back from a much better place now, I do see this trip as the start of a multi-year catharsis that has resolved in finding meaning and purpose though I didn't find it through travel.

What follows will be my recollection of a trip I took back in the summer of 2015 over the course of about 2 months. A lot of the travel was once again in my trusty old 1966 VW Beetle. I was nearing 31 and the VW was almost 50. This would be the little car's second cross-country adventure. It's been a while so some of the fine details have since escaped me, but my general state of mind during those times has not. This trip in many ways changed my views on traveling, especially as a means of attempting to escape problems.

I had been living the past two years in central New Hampshire, in the foothills of the White Mountains. I worked in a college town at a local bar and deli for a couple dollars over minimum wage plus tips, which were usually pretty good. I lived in a small but nice apartment above the owner's garage, where I mowed their yard, shoveled, and snow-blowed the driveway, which is no joke in New Hampshire winters. In exchange they cut a significant chunk off the usual rent. I subsisted mostly on rice and bean burritos as well as a steady diet of deli sandwiches from work. I eked by off my paychecks and deposited the tip money in a savings account for an emergency fund. I spent a lot of free time skateboarding, hiking and driving in the mountains, and lounging at a local swimming hole in the summer. I also generally felt lost, alone, and without direction. There's more to it, both real and imagined, but I'll leave it at that.

By early May the snow was gone after another long winter, and I was ready to just get out of there for a while, maybe forever. I told work I would be quitting after college let out in late May. They offered to hold my job for me if I returned before the college kids came back in August and I decided to take them up on the offer. Financing the trip with my two years of saved up tip money, I had a general plan of first heading to my parents new place in Wisconsin. My parents were recently retired, had sold the house where my brother and I grew up down in Texas, and moved back to Wisconsin where they were both from.

I would stay there for a bit and then I would continue with my dad to the Grand Canyon. He had been wanting to go to the Grand Canyon all his life but for one reason or another never made it out there. He was now retired but his health was not great and he walked with a cane. My mom doesn't travel and there was no way my dad could make the 4000 mile drive to Arizona and back on his own. I offered to take him there and he was thrilled to go. After taking him back to Wisconsin I would head back out west on my own for a while before making my way back to New Hampshire.

The day before I left, I changed the oil, adjusted the valves, points and timing on the VW. The tires on the car were pretty much bald, but I had a brand new spare so I ordered three more new ones shipped to my parents house. I'd throw the good spare on, get three replaced and keep the best bald one as the spare. The next day, on a cool cloudy morning in late May I loaded up the VW and pointed it west toward Wisconsin. I had my camera, a 2014 Rand McNally Road Atlas, my tent and sleeping bag, a copy of Where the Sky Began by John Madson, a Coleman gas stove, a few gallons of water, my big bag of rice, a container of oatmeal, and a few cans of beans to get me to Wisconsin. It seemed so easy to get in the car and leave my problems behind for a while so I was in good spirits.

The VW, with it's measly 40hp 1200cc engine is not really fit for interstate travel so I kept to state and U.S. highways on my three day trek out to Wisconsin. I don't remember the exact route I took but that isn't too important now anyway. I do recall some of the sights from along the way through. Early on I got a little turned around and lost for a bit somewhere in Vermont. I went through an Amish area in New York where I watched a farmer plowing a field with a team of horses. In the same area I came across a really curious site; a phone booth at the intersection of two random county highways in the middle of nowhere. There was a payphone still inside so naturally I had to pick it up and low and behold there was a dial tone. I don't think I had seen a live payphone in about 10 years, let alone one this far from anything. Weird.

The first evening I set up my tent in a mad rush to avoid being eaten by hordes of bloodthirsty mosquitoes at a deserted campground in upstate New York only to have a severe storm blow through later that night. I cooked up and ate my rice and bean lunch in the sunshine on the second day overlooking a beautiful lake in the Allegheny National Forest in Pennsylvania. That afternoon I attempted to pilot the VW through another massive thunderstorm. I ended up having to pull off the road and wait the storm out because the strong winds blew the driving rain so hard against the windshield that the wiper blades hovered above it instead of wiping the water away, leaving me blinded.

The third morning, I poured over my map desperately trying to find a reasonable route around the bottom of Lake Michigan that didn't suck the poor VW into the madness that is Chicago, but alas, there was no practical way around. So together the Beetle and I mustered up our courage and flung headlong into the high-speed chaos of some toll road that ringed the city. The speed limit was something comical like 55mph but even with the pedal to the floor at just under 70 everyone was blowing past. After a stressful run around Chicago I exited the toll road and headed north to Wisconsin on an Illinois State Highway. It started raining again as I crossed into Wisconsin and got on US-12 which took me past Lake Geneva and through Elkhorn before bending west where I continued north on State Highway 67 to Eagle, where my parents live. In Eagle I made a left where I should have gone right and ended up going six or so miles in the wrong direction before realizing it and turning around. I went back through Eagle the right way this time and soon I pulled into my parents driveway in the mid afternoon.

It was kind of a surreal situation walking into their new house, like entering a foreign land. Most of the furniture was the same and the same old pictures were hung, but in a house that I didn't recognize. Up to this point in my life we had only lived in two different houses and the first one we left when I was only three. So pretty much my whole childhood and some of young adulthood was spent in the same house in Texas. I could pretty much walk through that house with my eyes closed after so many years but now it was all new and different. I hadn't seen them in close to two years though so it was nice. Plus they had a guest bedroom with a new queen bed which was a treat compared to the foam pad I had been sleeping on for the past ten months in New Hampshire. We spent a few days seeing the area and catching up and then in early June, my dad and I set off for the Grand Canyon.

The VW and I all ready to go.
17628269668_98876551bf_b.jpg

My stuff. Looks like I had some bananas as well.
17789774366_caa918e0d8_b.jpg

NH-118 Dorchester, NH. I lived in Dorchester at a friend's farm for several months when I first came to NH.
51228607875_eeb9ca878f_b.jpg

VW on NH-118.
51227530941_b13f190f19_b.jpg

Quechee Gorge, Vermont.
51228608080_eb2cc0fe29_b.jpg

A nice Vermont farm.
51227531096_fe788bed47_b.jpg

A blossoming apple orchard. Vermont. I got stung by a bee behind my ear after I took this picture.
51227531281_343226cb75_b.jpg
[/url]

The view from where I made my lunch on the second day. Allegheny National Forest, Pennsylvania.
51227754178_138e298cb2_b.jpg

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Thank you! I met an Aussie guy soloing it in Baja. He took out the passenger seat and transformed into a very comfortable sleep platform.

halseyt

This is good. Looking forward to the rest. I cruised a 66 bug for years around the CO high country and back and forth to San Francisco and Tahoe ski mountains. Camped out of it everywhere including several Burning Man trips.

slowlane

Observer
There was no way my dad was going to stand up to a week and a half in the VW so we went west in his nearly new Ford Taurus instead. Even though the Taurus is about one of the most boring cars made, it may as well have been a Mercedes compared to the Beetle. Air conditioning, power windows, a radio, a seat with more than two adjustment positions, and cruise control made it a different experience all together. No more did I feel the need to go twenty miles out of the way to avoid five miles of interstate as the car effortlessly cruised at 75 while getting better gas mileage than the Bug did at 65.

We still mostly stuck to back roads though as we weren't in any hurry, having no real schedule other than a hotel reservation in Tuba City, AZ that was 5 days out. Most of Wisconsin was traversed on State Highway 50. We crossed the Mississippi River and entered Iowa in Debuque. My dad talked about how he used to enjoy making the day trip to from Milwaukee to Debuque and back when he used to deliver X-ray parts to hospitals out there. We went through a lot of Iowa on US-30 which roughly follows the original route of the old Lincoln Highway. In fact there are well marked bypassed sections of the old road that you can still drive on, some still unpaved.

The only city I remember going through of any real size in Nebraska was Grand Island. We did go through the tiny town of Funk, Nebraska though. I checked the radio stations but was disappointed to find there was no funk to be heard in Funk. We bumbled around on a couple of dirt roads at the southern end of the Sandhills where we stopped to take some pictures here and there. It was nice to talk to my dad and see him enjoying himself. The road we were on went past one of those mammoth feed lots of the Great Plains that easily had a couple hundred thousand head of cattle or more. The smell brought back memories of the several years I lived in Kansas. Outside of town was a similar operation that you could usually smell for about 5 miles before you saw it on a hot summer day. We made it to somewhere in central Nebraska by early evening, where we stayed at a hotel for the night.

The next day we crossed into the no man's land that is north-eastern Colorado. I actually kind of like the feeling of being able to look to the flat horizon in all directions and the only human marks on the landscape are the road you're traveling and maybe an old wire fence on either side. Sometimes a lone scruffy tree pops into view for a while as we move through the bare landscape. We turned onto a narrow state highway that ran about 70 miles straight south from nowhere to nowhere and passed through nowhere getting there. That road eventually ended at a T with US-50, the road that would take us through the Rocky mountains. We stopped for the night in Canon City, Colorado at the base of the Rockies.

The next morning dawned perfectly clear as we gassed up the Taurus and followed US-50 as it started winding up the mountains. My dad had never been in the mountains before, living most of his life in southeastern Wisconsin and north of Dallas, Texas. In fact he said the farthest west he'd ever been was to Denver once when he used to work at Pabst setting up advertising tents at fairs around the Midwest. I had only been through the Rockies twice, the last time being in 2013 in my little VW. Before our trip, I had looked for a scenic but not remote way of crossing the Rockies. I settled on taking US-50 over Monarch Pass and then heading south on US-550 from Ouray to Durango, which was said to be an amazing stretch of road.

Well it was a breathtaking route, but unfortunately my dad discovered he is afraid of heights, which he had really never been exposed to before. US-550 was especially hard for him as there are plenty of stretches where the white line at the edge of the road may as well be the end of the earth, since on the other side of it there is nothing but a steep several-hundred foot drop to the jagged rocks below. I felt really bad for him but there wasn't much we could do about it now so we pressed on with him just looking straight ahead ignoring the abyss out his side window.

We stopped at the top of whatever pass US-550 goes over on its way south to Durango and got out of the car for a bit. The little meadow that the parking lot was in was surrounded by a ring of snow-capped peaks. It was actually pretty chilly up there compared to what we were used to for a June day. We wound down the other side of the pass which I don't remember being as treacherous drop-off wise as the ascent. One thing I remember from the descent involved the cruise control on the Taurus.

We had come down the bulk of the way and the road was straightening out so I put the cruise on. The road started to descend a bit again and all of a sudden the transmission downshifted what felt like three gears and the engine was racing at nearly 4000 rpms. Startled, I quick stomped the brake pedal and everything went back to normal. Even though I am basically a Luddite when it comes to vehicles, I have driven a number of cars with cruise control and I've never experienced that before. Well, it turns out that the cruise on the Taurus, and probably other newish cars for that matter, doesn't like to go over the cruise speed at any cost, and seems like it would be content with blowing itself up if need be to not gain an extra mile per hour of speed.

On the way down my dad kept apologizing that he couldn't handle the ride up that road but I told him not to worry about it. How should he have known he couldn't deal with the sight of the sheer drops along a mountain road. Later on we could see Mese Verde in the distance before we crossed into Utah where we stayed that night.

A nice morning in southwestern Wisconsin.
51227861243_f07f97f6c4_b.jpg

The southern end of the Sandhills in Nebraska.
51227861413_fd6391f339_b.jpg

The remains of a mid-1930's car along a Nebraska farm road.
51227861553_81a33b6130_b.jpg

Stream in Colorado.
51227861668_08fda7ca8b_b.jpg

Colorado.
51228411819_1bacd0d3e2_b.jpg

Blooming cactus in Colorado. I wish I knew what this was but I don't know desert plants.
51228717820_8f291f0b23_b.jpg

Ouray, Colorado.
51227862098_17b6cccc24_b.jpg

Mountain stream along US-550. There was some sort of abandoned mine building behind me where I took this picture.
51228718185_363de2a308_b.jpg

View on top of the pass that US-550 goes over.
51226939152_7eb527bd56_b.jpg

Last edited:

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Beautiful, that's my neck of the woods.
Looked at your build, looks like it has a new paint job since your first
Post of your trip? Nice restoration.

pith helmet

Good storytelling and photos. I like how you hold them til the end. Nebraska is one of the few states I’ve managed to miss; pics make me want to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94