Running a Stock Rig ???

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I agree with DaveInDenver and most of the rest of the posts above;
Take it slow and use caution to avoid getting in too far over your head on 4WD trails (finding a good 4wd club and going on some runs is a good way to learn the 4WD aspects, IMO).

Some months ago I got my lil'-ol'-man car; 2 door 4WD exploder (little better than a mini van at present, IMO). Its been camping once over labor day (though not really off road).
I figure to test its snow capabilities on the street this year (It is definitely not capable enough for off road mountain snow runs yet), then some light wheeling, and camping, on easy trails in the mountains.
Got to make another run to the scrap yard for 2 rear tow points, 2 fronts are already on) then as the budget permits it will get some mods, many from the scrap yard (I normally budget a grand per year for mods and maintenance).
The nasty no-name all terrain tires still have some wear left so they will, probably, not get replaced until 2018; then I will go with some mud tires (likely BFG's or Falkens); not really necessary unless you off road in the dirty sloppy) probably in the 32 or 33 inch range (plenty good enough for moderate and some difficult four wheeling (got to pick your terrain/trails) while not requiring so much lift as to make vehicle height (entry & exit and load/unload) a PITA.

The first step (preps) fire extinguisher, LED flashlight, first aid, some minor tools, jumper cables, an adequate air compressor, tire plugs, some fluids, a USGI E-tool, shackles and a snatch strap are on board (the places to squirrel stuff away in this vehicle are pretty scarce so the welder won't be going, its not meant for extreme off road, after all)...
Still need to find a good place for a hydraulic jack (I abhor hi-lifts, personal thing, though they are not out of place (if you get one, and have the room, get the 5 footer)).
I expect the first real mod after replacing my abused rear springs (maintenance), will be a stealth (hidden) light weight, front winch (will get ill prepared vehicles out of many situations) to get me by until I can address the PP, IMO, IFS and axle gearing & open diffs.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

kmlacroix

Explorer
I have a '13 F150 FX4 with just 1 size larger ko2's and a better engine skid. It will take me where i want and like to go. It is about figuring out where you want to go and the limits of your vehicle adn operating within those parameters.

Clutch

<---Pass
I like this guys thread, super basic setup, with a small dirt bike to go get in a little deeper exploring. Don't know how to ride a bike, could always get a small quad.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128075-My-Solo-Wanderings-of-the-West

dscn7014-960w.jpg

swrider

Observer
Thanks for all the replies.
This whole thing started for me because I've been looking at getting some bigger tires for my truck, going from a 265/65R18 to a 275/70R18.
The thinking being that I might need the bigger tires; but this just became crazy. The amount of money I would have to put into a suspension lift to get the tires to fit was crazy. And I only would really gain about 3/4" at the lowest point. So may just have to stay with the stock tires and setup. Maybe a better tire than what is stock, and some recovery gear. There's a website called Bird and Hike ( http://www.birdandhike.com/Roads/_Roads_index.htm ) with some good options to take the truck out and see what's there and get a better idea of what i need for the area that I live (Las Vegas and Southern Utah).

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks for all the replies.
This whole thing started for me because I've been looking at getting some bigger tires for my truck, going from a 265/65R18 to a 275/70R18.
The thinking being that I might need the bigger tires; but this just became crazy. The amount of money I would have to put into a suspension lift to get the tires to fit was crazy. And I only would really gain about 3/4" at the lowest point. So may just have to stay with the stock tires and setup. Maybe a better tire than what is stock, and some recovery gear. There's a website called Bird and Hike ( http://www.birdandhike.com/Roads/_Roads_index.htm ) with some good options to take the truck out and see what's there and get a better idea of what i need for the area that I live (Las Vegas and Southern Utah).

yeah, just go out and see what happens...you can find out what the truck can and can't do. I traveled about in stock Toyota trucks with a decent AT tire for years and years. On my current Tacoma, only replaced the stock suspension with after market because I wore it out. Still running the same size tires on it when it was stock, which is +1 over.

My old '92, bone stock...with the exception of BFG AT's. The black thing on the hood was a futon mattress that I tossed in the back to sleep on....to this day I haven't found anything more comfortable.

Picture was taken on top of Schnebly Hill Road over looking Sedona. Made it up that road without flinching. That was back before Sedona got massively popular...not sure what the road looks like now.

20161213_131905.jpg

Last edited:

mobob

Stock 2014 Raptor here. Plenty capable without all of the work. Only mods are some lights and better skidplates. There is also a stock Powerwagon in this pick at Kite Lake. Both ran the Alpine loop, Stoney Pass and Kite Lake trails without issues.
DSCN2375.jpg

herm

Adventurer
i have been all over utah and wyoming in my stock 09 z71 with a slide in. I went up a tire size to fill out the wheel wells and get a bit wider stance/more contact patch. You live in a great part of the world to explore with a stock rig.

arveetek

Adventurer
It's kind of funny when you think about it. It wasn't all that long ago when 31" tires were a major upgrade, and 33's were the largest most anyone would use, and they would go most anywhere in the world. Nowadays, you can't hardly drive to the mall without seeing several Jeep Jk's with 37's, and they'll never even see dirt.

Casey

swrider

Observer
It does seem crazy, and even more so when in reality all you gain in going from a 31" tire to a 33" tire is about an inch extra clearance. In my case not even that, more like 3/4" under the diferentials. Almost seems silly to think that I could ever be in a situation where i would need that extra reach. I know clearance under the pumpkins isn't everything, but that's just one point of contention for me...

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It does seem crazy, and even more so when in reality all you gain in going from a 31" tire to a 33" tire is about an inch extra clearance. In my case not even that, more like 3/4" under the diferentials. Almost seems silly to think that I could ever be in a situation where i would need that extra reach. I know clearance under the pumpkins isn't everything, but that's just one point of contention for me...

I can show you plenty of places where a 31 vs 33 in tire makes a fairly big difference, but you likely wouldn't want a full size rig there to begin with.

p nut

butter
I can show you plenty of places where a 31 vs 33 in tire makes a fairly big difference, but you likely wouldn't want a full size rig there to begin with.

Bingo. If I were to do it over again, I'd probably just stick with the stock 32" sized tires (I'd still have gone A/T, though).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne