Running a Stock Rig ???

swrider

Observer
Hello Everyone thanks for stopping by.
I am still pretty new to the world of over landing and going off the paved roadways and I was wondering how many people out there are still going out and exploring in your stock vehicles???
I know this site's focus is on customizing our vehicles for over-landing, but I think it would be beneficial, especially for noobs like myself, to have a thread with vehicles that are still stock and show where members have gone with them. Personally this would help me out by first establishing a baseline of where I could potentially go and what I might want to do in the future to increase my truck's capabilities.
For me, I am the recent owner of a Chevy 2014 Silverado Z71, which I am very happy with. Everything is stock but at times I think I would want to have bigger tires on it. Not sure if i even need them. From what I can tell so far, this truck is meant to tackle fire roads and weather hazards, but not really go up the Rubicon trail. So for now I will keep it as is and if I ever get stuck I will see about changing somethings. Really curious to find out how much I can push it as is. If i remember from visiting areas in rural Mexico, most people there run 2wd trucks all over the place without much concern...
Anyways, if you have a stock truck, post it here and tell us a bit of what you've done with it!
Thanks

p nut

butter
I am still pretty new to the world of over landing and going off the paved roadways and I was wondering how many people out there are still going out and exploring in your stock vehicles???
I know this site's focus is on customizing our vehicles for over-landing, but I think it would be beneficial, especially for noobs like myself, to have a thread with vehicles that are still stock and show where members have gone with them. Personally this would help me out by first establishing a baseline of where I could potentially go and what I might want to do in the future to increase my truck's capabilities.
For me, I am the recent owner of a Chevy 2014 Silverado Z71, which I am very happy with. Everything is stock but at times I think I would want to have bigger tires on it. Not sure if i even need them. From what I can tell so far, this truck is meant to tackle fire roads and weather hazards, but not really go up the Rubicon trail. So for now I will keep it as is and if I ever get stuck I will see about changing somethings. Really curious to find out how much I can push it as is. If i remember from visiting areas in rural Mexico, most people there run 2wd trucks all over the place without much concern...
Anyways, if you have a stock truck, post it here and tell us a bit of what you've done with it!
Thanks

Only thing I've "upgraded" are tires to a +1 size. I don't think I even needed that. Stock truck will get you to a LOT of places, especially where you live. Lots of places to explore in LV, So Utah, California, etc. Haul or tow a 4wheeler if you need more capability. There are lots of trail head stunnaz in this forum, so take what you read with a grain of salt.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks

Read a bit https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=stock+z71+expedition

ExplorerTom

Explorer
from my experience on this site, people fall into one of 3 categories:
1. The Overlander. This is by far the smallest of the groups. These are the people that are truly vehicle based and travel the world.
2. Car campers. I'm not sure how big this group is, but it's significant. These are the people going out on short trips (weekends or up to a week or 2) but really aren't "exploring" new areas or cultures. This can be done in any type of vehicle- but because these people have a bunch of downtime between trips (sitting at work or on the couch at home) lots of accessories tend to get added- whether truly needed or not. I've read about a guy in his 2wd Escape that built a sleeping platform in the back and went on a 92 day road trip from FL to the western US, sleeping in the car all but a couple nights. An amazing trip and done in a FWD car.
3. 4wheelers who camp. This is another large faction of the site. Basically the same as Car Campers but they go into places not as easily accessible by the majority of other vehicles.

it all depends on where you want to go, but a stock 4wd pickup should be plenty capable for 95% of roads you'll encounter in this country.

PHSARGE

I run a 89 suburban. Most of it so far has been general maintenance. I put coil over shocks, added a leaf from a 3/4 ton spring pack. New rear bumper so far. Also running 33's. Planned for a set of 3/4 ton axles. The Front bumper, Roof rack.

I fall into the category 3. I like going places away from others. Plus I have to haul kids from my sons boy scout units sometimes.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I run a stock 2012 Ram 2500 4 X 4 with a FWC Grandby pop-up camper. I can pretty much go anywhere I want to go: forest service roads, some non-maintained roads and single lane roads . . . Places I can't go I really don't want to go anyway. Like ExplorerTom said 'plenty capable for 95% of roads you'll encounter in this country'.

IMO experience is more important than equipment and you gain experience by going just a little bit further than you are comfortable with. I also carry some basic recovery equipment (tow rope, tire chains, shovel, traction mats, high lift jack).

jim

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Another stocker with +1 tires guy here. Good tires and half a brain can get you pretty much anywhere you would wanna go short of true wheeling. Driving around CO and UT you may think you are getting way out there, but then you'll crest the hill and see some local stacking rocks in a suby or 4wd tercel beater.

tennesseewj

Observer
You can get plenty of places with a 4wd half ton, especially with a properly utilized G80 in the rear (that's the factory locker in the rear of your truck - I'm assuming you have it since you have a Z71 trim). It gets a bad rap on the interwebz, but I've not yet destroyed one since I realize that the gas pedal isn't an "on-off" switch.

Your biggest limitation in that truck will be body damage with the relatively low-hanging front bumper and longer wheel base. Use some common sense and you'll have no issues.

jkilgore11

Adventurer
Your Z71 is plenty capable. After doing this for a few years now, we are still in a stock 2008 F250 4x4, FWC Hawk, slightly larger BFG KO2's, and no lift. Based out of NC, our truck has taken us all over the the US and a few parts of Canada with no issues. We just recently upgraded the bumpers and added a winch because we want to explore more rugged terrain with confidence. Breakover height is probably our biggest concern. Common sense and a good set of tires will take you a long way. Happy travels!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Capability is a state of mind and a little bit of guts. The truth is most vehicles will do more than you think, especially stock 4WD vehicles. The reason for the modifications are to get the last little bit, be more comfortable, reliable or lower potential for damage. So the piece of advice that everyone mentions about knowing your limits and what the truck can do is important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles