Running a slide in truck camper on flat trailer instead of in truck bed.

gmtech

Observer
i currently have a 72 Winnebago pull behind camper 14 ft. it sucks to pull and im going to sell it soon. I have a 16 taco double cab short bed. I like the idea of a slide in truck camper but they are rare for short beds. and I don't want to spend that much.
does hard mounting a slide in truck camper to a flat trailer sound like a okay Idea? im thinking 8ft slide in camper on a 5-10 ft flat trailer.
pop top style slide in so it still is low.
I understand some bracing would need to be made to secure camper to trailer

only to be used on main roads and some fire roads to BLM campground no real offroad.

tarditi

Explorer
I've seen plenty of examples of this online... never really examined one up close to see what the "gotchas" are, but it certainly has been done.

Truck-Camper-on-a-Flatbed-Trailer-1.jpg

Bill Barlow

I installed a 1995 Skamper 60S on a M101A3 trailer (See picture). Before I purchased the camper I made sure the center of gravity (CG) matched the CG of the trailer.
The extra storage in front is perfect for fire wood, spare tire and extra water. I've upgraded to a solar panel to charge the battery and no longer need a generator.
I added two front jacks to level the trailer, the trailer has a rear jack already installed.

So far things have been great, it takes 15 mins to setup the camper. I have gone to Baja and did some major off roading with the trailer and had no problems.

Hope this helps you out.

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpg
    IMG_1691.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 198
I have a lance camper for my 2000 dodge with an 8ft bed. There is nothing fancy about the way it goes on, but even in a pickup bed people have issues with the camper shifting side to side on occasion or on rough roads. So some people put a friction pad under the camper so it doesnt have a tendency to shift. Going on a flatbed trailer all you would have to do is mount it and with some angle iron or lumber make a simple guide or track to keep it from movig around much. Then just attach using the original mounting points or drill through the floor and bolt it down or both. It all just requires common sense.

gmtech

Observer
sounds good! ive seen that set up on CL sometimes but usualy they are on a 20ft trailer or something to the like and look terribly set up. I think a 5x10 trailer for a 6-8ft bed camper would be good. and look proportioned correctly.

Goober

Adventurer
I move my camper around on my property on this trailer. Screwed 2x4's to the deck of the trailer, keeps it from sliding around and just use standard camper tie downs.

attachment.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94