Running 33’s on a D5

Eniam17

Adventurer
Is anyone out there running 33’s on a D5 ? If so what mods were needed for you ? Im not aware of a proud rhino bump stop kit being available for larger tires such as for the lr3/4 so I’m not sure if that is still an issue with this platform of not - I’d welcome any discussion on this if anyone has looked into it.

thanks

Eniam17

Adventurer
thanks DieselRanger. I am running a 275/55-20 as well and seem to have plenty of room. Lucky 8 stuck the 33x12.5 on theirs and had to do some minor plastic trimming is what i've gathered. What made you go to the 255/60 and do you like it any better/worse than the 275/55. I believe it's just about an inch narrower, correct?

DieselRanger

A little less than an inch narrower, yeah. I wanted a taller aspect sidewall, and Goodyear is making both the Wrangler AT Adventure with Kevlar and the DuraTrac for the Defender in that size. I'm running the AT Adventure, which performs great in everything but deep mud and is a good all-around 3-season tire IMO.

The 275/55-20 was a fine size, but I was running Cooper Discoverer AT3's on there which weighed several pounds more per tire, so the ride quality and fuel economy were suffering, plus they were noisy. The sidewall is the same height as the 255/60-20, but the aspect is taller on the 255 width...probably doesn't make that much difference, but a 60-series makes me feel better offroad than a 55-series, and a more square tire profile handles airing down a little better. I'd be comfortable dropping my GY's to around 28-30 psi without risking losing a bead. I run them 34 front / 37 rear everyday and they handle great.

Eniam17

Adventurer
A little less than an inch narrower, yeah. I wanted a taller aspect sidewall, and Goodyear is making both the Wrangler AT Adventure with Kevlar and the DuraTrac for the Defender in that size. I'm running the AT Adventure, which performs great in everything but deep mud and is a good all-around 3-season tire IMO.

The 275/55-20 was a fine size, but I was running Cooper Discoverer AT3's on there which weighed several pounds more per tire, so the ride quality and fuel economy were suffering, plus they were noisy. The sidewall is the same height as the 255/60-20, but the aspect is taller on the 255 width...probably doesn't make that much difference, but a 60-series makes me feel better offroad than a 55-series, and a more square tire profile handles airing down a little better. I'd be comfortable dropping my GY's to around 28-30 psi without risking losing a bead. I run them 34 front / 37 rear everyday and they handle great.
Makes sense, I get it. I’m on the 275/55 duratracs right now and I’d definitely take a little more sidewall for airing down. Duratracs, I’m sure, are louder than your AT adventures but I do like their performance in mud / wet leaves which I get a lot of here in New England. Everything is a balance. but I’ll look at the 255/60 when it’s time for new ones. Thanks for the info.

roughbeat

Makes sense, I get it. I’m on the 275/55 duratracs right now and I’d definitely take a little more sidewall for airing down. Duratracs, I’m sure, are louder than your AT adventures but I do like their performance in mud / wet leaves which I get a lot of here in New England. Everything is a balance. but I’ll look at the 255/60 when it’s time for new ones. Thanks for the info.

Do you have any issues with the Duratracs rubbing on the front passenger side wheel well? I'm running the same 275/55R20 profile and I get a slight rub when I go full passenger side lock. Nothing major besides very minor cosmetic damage but I'm just curious I'm the only one with this issue.

Eniam17

Adventurer
At full lock if I’m turning into a driveway that has a bump or incline at a certain angle I do get that very slight rub on passenger front inner wheel well, just the plastic that Hangs down in front which I could easily trim.

Oddly enough off-roading I’ve maxed out the articulation (what little there is) at full lock and it’s never rubbed then, or at least I didn’t notice.

DieselRanger

I never had any rubbing on my 275/55-20's except a very tiny bit on the wheel well liner at full lock at access height, like if I was in a parking garage and had to keep it locked. Otherwise was never an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior