ruggedized db9f/m connectors?

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
I'm planning some ham projects for 2022 and I was wondering if there was a next-gen or ruggedized equivalent of a db9f or db9m connector? Perhaps with spring-loaded pins, ip-rated housings, high mating cycles...that sort of thing?

Are any folks using miniature circular push-pull connectors (such as the Hirose HR10, HR30 or TE M8 / M12) for data connections?

Last edited:

KI4LTX

We use M12 connectors on our mining, heavy and light rail products. These are applications that require high reliability, and are placed in high vibration environments. We have had no issues with them. These applications are for "drive by wire applications" that have SIL2 certification.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
D-subs are often used on spacecraft and military applications. Obviously those are flight rated in quality and materials but the civilian and consumer configuration is basically the same mechanically.

The D-sub itself was actually developed for aerospace and military use by ITT/Cannon in the 1950s, so it's intrinsically reliable. Some of the true hi-rel ones get as many as 500 mate cycles ratings (so practically they can do probably several times that) and can be salt spray rated with potted and sealed backshells. Kind of depends on what you're defining as "high" for cycles and IP rating.

But unless you're dead set on using D-subs there's been better connectors developed since. The M12 is nice or any 38999 or similar style circular connector (even just the lowly TE CPC plastic series is pretty rugged, I like these a lot) is going to be better in tough environments. The shape of D-subs doesn't lend itself to being easy to make water or debris intrusion resistant without a substantial backshell.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles