Ruger Trailers Denver

lost-adventurer

Lost and loving it...
Note to self...don't forget to air-down your trailer tires...

:safari-rig:

trailerrollover2_zps20de1840.jpg

trailerrollover_zpsc367f62a.jpg

photo_zps1d6c42c1.jpg

Back to the fabricator for a rollover rack!

lost-adventurer

Lost and loving it...
Grimbo, you guessed it, driver stupidity; over inflated tires, articulation hitch, water crossing, 10 yr old son wants me to go faster, two water holes, the trailer hits a rock under the water, bounced from right to left, hits another rock on the left which spins the trailer in mid air. The good news is the damage is minimal. The trailer flipped in mid air and landed on the top. I have a scratched fender (rolling it back on to the wheels with the winch) and the RTT hinges are bent. That's it. The trailer was bouncy, and I kept saying to myself I will air down the trailer tires when we stop, but I didn't remember. If the tires where aired down, and I approached the water holes slowly, this would not have happened. Total driver error/stupidity.

The articulation hitch played an interesting role (or roll :)). This was my first trip with the articulation hitch and it seemed to add to the ease of the roll, since it didn't give resistance and the simple momentum spun the trailer rather than a couple of bounces it completely flipped. My buddy was behind me in his FJ, he said he pulled a lot of trailer and he has never saw a trailer do that...

Two weeks from now I'll test it again on the Alpine Loop outside Ouray, CO. :REOutCampFire03::smiley_drive::eek:

spearl12

Thomas, we always follow your posts and very much enjoy them. Saw your recent additions to the trailer and they look very good. Noted that you intend to put risers on the trailer to get the tent higher. Just a heads-up, we are in the process of designing and fabricating just such a system. An engineer bought one of our units and Ruger Trailers collaborated in building one that raises from the top of the trailer approximately 30" higher to accomodate a RTT annex room, but then lowers to approximately 6" above the lid for less wind resistance during highway use. Don't want to tell too many details, but it is actuated by a remote electric control. Please feel free to call and I'll be glad to share information with you. We always enjoy seeing the improvements you make to the trailer and would be glad to help you, as this will add to the utility and functionality of your trailer. Regards, Steve at Ruger Trailers

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Oh that sucked... yes, I air my trailer tires down, makes a huge difference to the way it rides. I pretty much leave it at around 20 PSI on the road too, tows nicer.

This lift system sounds interesting. I am in the early stages of designing my own right now... but this is interesting. Would it be possible to fit it to a CDN M101 tub?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Root cause

short leaf springs + no shocks = bouncy as hell, especially in a lightly loaded trailer

Contributing factor speed over rough terrain.

Outcome = flipped trailer

At least the view was nice !

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Sounds awesome Steve. I have been searching multiple options that work with the hinged lid. I'll be in Colorado in July for Summit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior