Ruger Bearcat

I recently learned the old Ruger Bearcats (I bought mine in 1970) had a safety retrofit, free of charge, so I contacted them and received a prepaid shipping box, including home pickup by UPS. A few days after they received it, Customer Support called and told me they no longer had cylinders to perform the retrofit, and gave me three options.

1) Return the Bearcat as is.
2) Receive a free of charge new Bearcat in blue.
3) Receive a free of charge new Bearcat in stainless.

I chose the stainless version, as I want to pass a safer pistol along to a grandchild, it arrived today. Ruger is destroying the old pistol, but their tech is is returning the old grip panels. I had the original box and manual, and gave that to a friend who bought a used Bearcat that didn’t have the box. His Bearcat went up in value at least $100.

I am impressed with Ruger’s handling of the transaction, and I received a new pistol that is now over 10x the cost of the old Bearcat.

Kudos, Ruger…

I thought about that, but handing it down to a grandkid influenced my decision. The transfer bar version seems safer for someone who isn’t experienced with SA revolvers.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
The old ruger bearcat was likely worth more if it was in decent condition but I get the safety thing. My dad accidentally shot my mom with one of those old model bearcats way back when. It was a combination of not following the four rules of gun safety and some out of spec ammo that wouldn’t allow the cylinder to rotate. They changed in 1975, and you can carry them safely with six now, unlike my colt saa.

The old Bearcat was valued roughly the same as the new Stainless model. I gave the box to a friend with an old version, so he’s got a more valuable copy now.

Zeep

Adventurer
Couple of years ago, I bought a Ruger Charger. I purchased from a friend just starting his gun business.
I did'nt fully inspect it when I picked it up. Turned out having a significant gouge in one the stocks.
I sent a photo to Ruger customer service, and promptly received a new stock.
Kudos to Ruger!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles