Rug Road starting at Mammoth AZ. heading to Klondyke AZ

6x6pinz

Adventurer
A few members of the local Pinzgauer group headed out to do the Rug Road. The road is so named as the farmers, ranchers and miners used to put carpet down to aid in traction and erosion. We started at the trail head Friday around 3:30p. We stopped at a local shooting range that had been built by the Lions. Spent some time there shooting and waiting for a member from Tucson to join us. The Tucson member came across an ATV accident and stopped to help them which delayed his arrival. We were able to text him the location of our campsite for Friday night and headed out to get set up. In the morning we headed out and were greeted by some very interesting trails along with fantastic scenery. We arrived at the portion of the trail where the carpet had been placed years ago, still remnants visible. On descending the trail one of our members forgot rule number one when driving an older vehicle (keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel) In the photos you can see why this is the first rule. There are several sites along the trail where you can get some great shots of the small towns in the distance and panoramic views of the surrounding mountains. We stopped at a few of the mining processing sites and some indian ruins along the trail. Saturday night we made camp under some very large trees. There was still some snow on the ground that the trees had shaded from the sun. Sadly we did not get to see any big horn sheep this time around but rumor has it if you keep an eye out the odds are good you will see them. Sunday we made our way off the tops of the canyons to Turkey creek, which had water flowing at a decent pace. The sandy bottom was a welcome site after a couple of days on the rocky trails above. This trail is long and rocky but the views and history make it worth the trip. Once we arrived at Klondyke, the Tucson member headed back via Wilcox while the rest of us continued on to Thatcher then back to the valley.

Here are some photos taken along the way.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10152565420455391&type=1

krazytoy

Adventurer
Great trip! I have done that trip many times. When I lived in Tucson we used to overnight camp in Araviapa and do the loop through Klondike and around back to Tucson, good times and one of the most beautiful places in Arizona in my opinion.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing the pixs 6x6pinz. Table Top Mountain Mine, Parsons Creek and Turkey Creek are some of my favorite places in all of Arizona. You brought me back some fond memories.:coffeedrink:

H2Oauguas

Hi, we are planning a family camping trip and really would like to do this trail. The question I have is how long round trip did it take? How long did it take to get to Parsons Grove? Is this a very difficult trail? I have three children, 4,8, and 10 do you think this is kid friendly? Sorry for all the questions and Thanks!

Westy

Adventurer
The trail is not difficult with the right equipment and some good knowledge of the vehicle and its capability. It will challenge a vehicle without at least limited slip rear end and sufficient ground clearance. There is a good amount of info online about the trail to make an educated decision on the trail. I will say it is a long trip, long dirt road and rougher than you will expect it to be. It is worth the trip in scenery alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94