rubicon run

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Plus 37's with 3.15:1 xcase gears and 4.9:1 r&p gears instead of the 4.2:1 r&p in the gen 2.5's. But what makes the biggest difference IMHO, is he's got a lot of experience under his belt and is a very capable driver & spotter.
Carlos & Lloyd (the original mitsu 4x4 fanatic IMHO) are the only two I trust 110% when it comes to spotting me on the rocks... Now don't get me wrong... there are some whom I've wheeled with who are probably good spotters too but these two have proven their skills many a time before...
Just sayin...:coffeedrink:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I understand. I'm the designated spotter on most runs as well. There aren't many things I'm good at in life, but seeing the line and getting others through it is something I seem to have a knack for. It can make all the difference in the world.

I didn't see much evidence of a spotter in that video clip near the end when he ran over that big up turned rock :)

It amazes me that he's running 37's. That really puts those rocks into scale. I've never come up through the Springs. I've only come through from the dam.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yeah a good spotter is key. To be a good spotter, also means you can usually trailblazer for the rest of the group finding the right lines for each obstacle.

As for his rig, he's got a very nicely and heavily modified Montero. The entire rear frame was raised 4-6 and the gas tank raised above the rear floor so he modified it by raising the floor section to accommodate it.

cap510

Adventurer
I didn't see much evidence of a spotter in that video clip near the end when he ran over that big up turned rock :)

It amazes me that he's running 37's. That really puts those rocks into scale. I've never come up through the Springs. I've only come through from the dam.

I did not have a spotter, my son was recording during that scene. I was the trail leader so have to find my way/line on my own. (of course when I needed help I asked for it)
Been behind in line is much easier cause you get to see if the person in front of you took the right line or not, then you can decide which is best for you.
We really did not have much time to warm up, we went from a dirt road to these obstacles without having a chance to practice on smaller obstacles. I got to say the Wentworth entrance is more challenging than Loon lake entrance (which is now a walk in the park)
And yes those rocks and obstacles are much bigger and tougher in real life than they look on the video or pics.

There were a few more obstacles after that, On one of then I had to winch my self out, even my friends with nicely set up jeeps had to be spotted and stack rocks to get then thru and one has to be strap out. (the one with smaller tires) There was a by pass to the first set of obstacles but there were a few more at the top without one.

You can only be as good as spotter as the person you are spotting is willing to listen and follow your instructions.:smiley_drive:
Plus on the trail is like been at the gym, you can't spot everyone on every single challenge, it will take forever to get thru.
Some times you got to let people try on their own till they ask for help or you see they are not going anywhere on their own... It could be a bit awkward to be telling someone what to do the whole way cause you don't know if they really want your help or not. I'm always willing to get my hands dirty or land a hand to anyone on the trail that's in need.

Eurosonic lost that tire cause he was a bit too heavy on the gas (he was told to go easy on the gas) we found out afterwards that he was having trouble with his locker therefore he was force to use the gas more to build momentum.

I personally like to challenge my self/truck to its limits on the trails and don't like to take by-passes unless they are impossible for my trucks limitations, I have enough experience and know MONTEROS well enough to know what's doable and what's not on any configuration (big tires, small, lockers, no lockers, etc)

I wheeled less modified Monteros on the CON and made it thru one way or another, having a nicely build Montero now makes things easier but by the same token I don't take the same lines as when I wheeled less modified trucks.

To do the CON requires you to know the limitations of your truck along with yours as a driver, the best thing to do when in doubt is to ask for help...:sombrero:

Throughout the trip we all needed help one way or another but as always it's good to know you can count on your friends to land a hand!

I'll get some pics up soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles