Rubicon Express Front Track Bar Situation

TrailTrackers

Observer
Hello-

I have an '08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the 4-1/2" Rubicon Express long arm lift; the lift has been on the Jeep since 300 miles and the Jeep now has 15,700 miles. I recently noticed a slop in the steering and upon further inspection found that it was coming from the track bar. The passenger side bushing appeared to have worn out so I removed the front track bar.

Subsequent to removing the track bar, and upon closer inspection of the bushing, it appears that the slop is caused from the bolt holes in the mounting bracket having "wallered" out a bit. This allows the track bar to bang side to side while wiggling the steering wheel back and forth.

Since I've already ordered and received a new bushing I'll go ahead and install it, but I'd like to take care of the bolt hole problem as well. I could simply get a few washers installed on the bolt with the nut tightened down and then weld the washers to the bracket. Or, I could take some 1/4" plate, cut it to size, drill appropriate holes and weld it to the bracket.

I thought I would throw this problem out here to see what others have experienced and how they have repaired problems of this sort. Maybe somebody knows of a kit that is being manufactured to remedy this very problem. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

-Brad

JeepinJon

Observer
You would want to weld a washer to the track bar bracket to get the hole round, and the right diameter (14mm). Another option would be to ditch the frame side track bar bracket and get a Poly reinforcement kit to keep that hole round. For the axle side I would get an axle side bracket from a company like AEV. This is definitely a more expensive route, but you will improve performance at the same time.

TrailTrackers

Observer
Thanks for the links. I knew there were people who'd seen what others have done. That's one of the reasons why this site is so cool! Many brains are much better than just one.

Guess what my next project is.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Call RE and see if its something others have experienced and if they know of a reason this could be happening. It could be a bad trackbar and will do the same thing to the new bushing.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I don't know JKs at this level...

In addition to re-doing the hole is upgrading to a larger bushing and hence larger bolt size possible? The larger the bolt the less likely to deform the hole.

JAT

alosix

Expedition Leader
I don't know JKs at this level...

In addition to re-doing the hole is upgrading to a larger bushing and hence larger bolt size possible? The larger the bolt the less likely to deform the hole.

JAT

That's pretty common for a TJ track bar as well IIRC A 7/16 should do the trick (likely the same in the JK). I think the metric stuff on the TJ/JK was always a hair smaller than the bushing sleeve RE used (though I could be wrong). I think the next size up standard will fit, it will be VERY tight. but it should fit and might be worth a look.

Also, depending on where you live. Make sure to slather that bolt in anti-seize. Any sort of winter/salt combo and that bolt will become one with the sleeve. I've had to cut more than my share of suspenion arms off because of that.

Jason

TrailTrackers

Observer
That's pretty common for a TJ track bar as well IIRC A 7/16 should do the trick (likely the same in the JK). I think the metric stuff on the TJ/JK was always a hair smaller than the bushing sleeve RE used (though I could be wrong). I think the next size up standard will fit, it will be VERY tight. but it should fit and might be worth a look.

Also, depending on where you live. Make sure to slather that bolt in anti-seize. Any sort of winter/salt combo and that bolt will become one with the sleeve. I've had to cut more than my share of suspenion arms off because of that.

Jason

You seem to know your way around just fine. You are exactly correct about a std. bolt fitting tightly in the hole. I got the 1/4" replacement pieces built today and a 9/16" bolt fits perfectly (not a press fit) in the RE bushing sleeve. Zero slop.

I built a front and a back repair piece that I'll weld in tomorrow after work. I'll take some pictures and post the dimensions of both pieces before welding them in.

TrailTrackers

Observer
I ended up leaving the previous bushing in place because it didn't look like it was bad. However, when I wiggle the steering wheel, I still have a tiny bit of slop. But I drove it around and on the freeway and it's much, much better than it was previously. Maybe I'll get the urge to unbolt the passenger side of the track bar once more and install that new bushing; or maybe not. :)

Here are some images of the bracket repair pieces.

IMG_9012.jpg IMG_9013.jpg IMG_9014.jpg

IMG_9015.jpg IMG_9016.jpg IMG_9017.jpg

IMG_9018.jpg IMG_9019.jpg IMG_9022.jpg

IMG_9024.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles