RTTs on Fiberglass toppers.

Shredgnar

Awesome. This is the direction I am going....with a hard shell RTT. Really glad to hear your experiance. If I may ask....which LEER topper did you use? They have quiet a few to pick from.
Sorry for the slow response, forgot I posted here.

I believe that I had the 100XR model with pop out side windows (windoors). I highly suggest the windoors, and slider tracks on the roof. Just lined coolers and food along the rails and you could reach right in and grab stuff. Super convenient.

Grassland

I think it was ARE had a fiberglass topper model that had an internal frame that drastically increased roof rack rating
I forget which model as I was looking for my business, but then got a tall roof van instead.
I have a Leer 100 something model and my cheapo cross bars are only rated for 150#. I've had 80-200# on the racks for 4 years until I pulled my current truck from fleet. Cap seems ok. (Just carried ladders and PVC piping on the rack)
I'd get a track type roof mount and use at least 3 cross bars to help spread the weight around at the very least.

Edit

(none)

Adventurer
ARE CX topper on my Frontier. Ordered it with the roof rails/cross bars. Used it a ton with my hardshell RTT. Offroad all around colorado and the mountains here. No issues at all. No extra support required. Best mod for the truck.

D

Deleted member 9101

Hey there,

I'm waffling around trying to decide what truck topper to get for my 2019 Ranger. I seem to be hung up on whether I should buy an expensive metal topper (4-6k, RSI smartcap...AluCab..ect) or can I use a less expensive fiberglass one (2-3k, ARE...LEER...ect)? It seems there is not much info about weight ratings for fiberglass toppers, although I have seen many RTTs mounted on them. The difference in cost is about half. 2-3k buys a lot of fuel.
As far as use goes, the truck is my daily and will be used for expeditions only occasionally so the RTT will not be mounted permanently. More than likely, only for "big" trips. My main reason for it is dry storage and security. With that being said I am planning a very big trip in 2 years to Alaska from my home state of Florida. I am expecting some very rough washboard roads during this trip.

Any experience and help is greatly appreciated.

Cory
Just have a shop fab up some braces.

images.jpegLoadMax-Interior-e1530406253472.jpg

fla_cracker

Observer
Thank you everyone for the responses. I am going to go this week and talk to a local dealer of ARE and LEER. Judging from your experiences I believe either of these brand toppers will suit my needs.

Thank you for all the help.

(none)

Adventurer
When i was shopping around, the ARE brochure for for the Frontier had pictures of a standard cap with a RTT installed...so i felt fairly confident it would work fine.

I do like the GFC/VAGAbond style cap/tent set up for a daily driver as well just doe to the profile. Seems less bulky or draggy for daily driving. But Thats a lot of money to part with and the beds are only 48 inches wide for a mid size and 54 for a full size. RTT seem like you can host a party in some of the family sized tents.

fla_cracker

Observer
I do like the GFC/VAGAbond style cap/tent set up for a daily driver as well just doe to the profile. Seems less bulky or draggy for daily driving. But Thats a lot of money to part with and the beds are only 48 inches wide for a mid size and 54 for a full size. RTT seem like you can host a party in some of the family sized tents.

Agreed. I love the size of a standard soft RTT but I am wanting a hard shell. While I am going to lose space in a hard shell, there are several benefits. Smaller profile, simple and quick setup, rigidity in windy/inclement weather, easier to heat or cool....ect. The trade-off is obviously $$$$ and space. In some cases they weigh significantly more also. Heaviest I've found is 200#

dman93

Adventurer
I ran a soft shell Tepui RTT on my fiberglass ARE Z Series with standard tracks and Yakima round bars and towers for a couple of years and 20K miles. Obviously mostly highway but some rough washboard etc in Utah and California. No issues.

JMacs

Observer
If it is not too late, ask them to install the Thule roof tracks. Something in the ordering process with that option triggers them to add extra fiberglass. They told me about 30lbs worth.

(none)

Adventurer
If it is not too late, ask them to install the Thule roof tracks. Something in the ordering process with that option triggers them to add extra fiberglass. They told me about 30lbs worth.

interesting. I hadn't head that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94