rtt vs slide in camper

AggroCrag

Meat Popsicle
I just checked my payload capacity on the Tundra and it is 1,820 lbs. A tad less than the 2,000 I quoted previously, but still not bad. I could see it easily being over 2,000. lbs from the factory on a 2WD 5.7 model.

I'm running heavier tires, heavier suspension, way heavier bumper, big winch and the FWC. Apparently ~1,800 lbs worth. The 2.5 stall mats in the bed used to lift the FWC probably also do not help much, those have to weigh 200+ lbs combined.

I'll be a few hundred pounds over with the Expedition One rear swing out, full tank, and loaded up with water and more gear, however, AS IT SITS right now at or slightly over GVWR, the Tundra's handling, braking and acceleration are considerably more confidence inspiring than my 2000 F250 Ford ever was completely empty and unloaded.

The Ford bested in MPG (13.5-14.5) vs (12-13) as well as range/tank capacity (38 vs 26). It's solid front axle was advantageous 0.5% of the time, but not worth the terrible ride quality. The seats were more comfortable. You couldn't pay me to go back.

I appreciate the fact that you are not just being a Yota Fanboy. Straight facts are good to see. I happen to agree that MANY people probably drive a vehicle that isn't necessarily "right" for them just because it's cool. The Ford 7.3 has obtained this mythical status, that attracts people even though they don't "need" one. For all of the reason's stated earlier, I'm incredibly happy I have a Tundra- Especially while my buddy with a "bulletproofed" 6.0 Diesel spends most of his free time wrenching. Every brand, and every motor has its pros/cons, but what it really comes down to for this application is; what would be the most reliable vehicle that can (safely) carry the camper you want, while allowing you to get into the backcountry, and not spend all of your money and time on parts? Answer - Not a 7.3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94