RTT rainfly storage

Halligan

Adventurer
Looking for some guidance here. I just received my new Smittybuilt RTT and unboxed it in the garage. It ship's with the rainfly installed and I'm wondering the general consensus is regarding rainfly storage? Do most leave it on at all times or do you have a solution for storage in vehicle when not in use. Between the fly itself and the poles I'm guessing storage is a pain and most leave it on.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I tried to remove the fly from one of my Tepui tents a few years ago and was going to make 2-piece poles that could be strapped to the floor next to the ladder. After breaking a couple of pieces of aluminum in my tube bender, I just gave up and kept the fly on all the time. It could be done, but the pole storage becomes an issue.

Climberclimb

Observer
I have a Smittybilt rtt and I leave the rain fly on. If it looks like no rain, I take it off. If you have access to the clips it is not too hard to do, however up high on a lifted truck is a different story! Cheers

Halligan

Adventurer
Thanks for the responses. Leaving it on will probably be the game plan as I see no easy storage options with the poles.

Mgyver1

Observer
I took my rain fly off shortly after getting my Howling Moon RTT. My plan is if I’m going out on a trip and it’s forecasted to rain a lot then I’ll re-install it, but fortunately all my trips in the last few years have only had rain on one night here & there. These tents stayed dry without a rain fly during the Snowverland Expo ‘15 where it rained and snowed all weekend, which is partly what sold me on them. Since I’ve owned mine, the times it has rained on my trips has been pretty decent and tent has stayed waterproof, but it pools a good bit on the ladder overhang if I don’t guy out the extension taut. I would test your tent first at home with a hose without the rain fly to see if it’s waterproof before getting stuck with a wet tent on a trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94