RTT rack height recommendations?

MOAK

Adventurer
The trailer is a very modified 4'x6' Tractor Supply Carry-On That is 24” off the ground. The sides are 25” high. The rack is being built/mounted upon a beefed up subframe ( 2x ) 17”s above the topsides for access. This gives us a rack height of 66”s from the ground. We carry about 300 lbs of gear, water gasoline, cast Iron cookware, back packs, chairs, tables, etc, etc, in the trailer. The trailer has a 74" track width atop 285/75/16s. The aluminum rack ( 41"x60") will be bolted to the fore and aft uprights and the RTT bolted upon the rack giving an additional 2" in height getting it up to 68". I'm six foot, so not a big deal to duck under something 4" shorter than I. I considered a telescoping set up, however, That much gizmology just isn't worth the 5 or 6 inches gained in height. I'm thinking that I'm OK as the height of the racks, are still shorter (66") (80" high with tent mounted) than the track width (74"). My question is twofold, Is this too high? BTW, I also use a 5 ton pintle hook, so it's nearly impossible to lay it completely over. I view my rough diagram and I see other trailers out there that have the RTTs mounted a lot higher than my plan, but I think they must not traverse very technical terrain. All informed opinions are welcome, and thanks for your time.

IMG_4752.JPG

woodardd

The trailer is a very modified 4'x6' Tractor Supply Carry-On That is 24” off the ground. The sides are 25” high. The rack is being built/mounted upon a beefed up subframe ( 2x ) 17”s above the topsides for access. This gives us a rack height of 66”s from the ground. We carry about 300 lbs of gear, water gasoline, cast Iron cookware, back packs, chairs, tables, etc, etc, in the trailer. The trailer has a 74" track width atop 285/75/16s. The aluminum rack ( 41"x60") will be bolted to the fore and aft uprights and the RTT bolted upon the rack giving an additional 2" in height getting it up to 68". I'm six foot, so not a big deal to duck under something 4" shorter than I. I considered a telescoping set up, however, That much gizmology just isn't worth the 5 or 6 inches gained in height. I'm thinking that I'm OK as the height of the racks, are still shorter (66") (80" high with tent mounted) than the track width (74"). My question is twofold, Is this too high? BTW, I also use a 5 ton pintle hook, so it's nearly impossible to lay it completely over. I view my rough diagram and I see other trailers out there that have the RTTs mounted a lot higher than my plan, but I think they must not traverse very technical terrain. All informed opinions are welcome, and thanks for your time.

View attachment 622077

Just buy mine
75d9aac70e5a726e60e71627bf64c7a5.jpg
640795b38eff12a64f1728c376175bc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

woodardd

As a serious response to your question, I think you will be fine. Especially if your 300 lbs of gear is on the deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jays0n

Adventurer
My build was originally done with the base of the RTT at the 6' mark so my annex could attach. The first time I had it on the trails I decided that was a terrible idea and started planning how to change it. I had it on 1 wheel far more often that trip than I felt comfortable with!!! My setup was well over 1400lbs total, that tent weighs about 150lbs plus the rack, solar panel, awning etc. My track is about as wide as yours, running HEAVY 33" tires, have 12 gallons of water mounted under the floor, 2 deep cycle batteries in the tongue box plus plenty of gear. I made it telescoping and it was the best decision I made, I have dragged that thing through stuff I couldn't have dreamed about before the modification. If you can I would seriously consider it.

NMBruce

Adventurer
The track on my trailer is about 62”, built from the specs of a friend M416 trailer and my axle is sitting on air bags with 4 adjustable trailing arms to keep the axle straight. I have pulled this trailer a lot of places, through the Gila, Alpine loop, stony pass and to the Arctic Ocean using a “lock n roll” hitch. I am adding an RTT to the top, but I will mount it about 2-3” above the lid on my box. I have seen my trailer go over stuff without a problem, my concern is any change in center of gravity.
I am thinking of switching to a Pintle for the reason you mentioned, I think it could stop my 1500-2000 lbs trailer from rolling on it side.

Attachments

• 471E1B41-D273-469F-80A7-CB6F048E968B.jpeg
    471E1B41-D273-469F-80A7-CB6F048E968B.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 18

jays0n

Adventurer
I had my RTT and rack setup with the bottom of the tent at the 6' mark and changed it after only a single trip. My Tepui RTT with a thicker mattress, condensation mat and the solar panel and rack mounted under it weighs 300ish pounds and that was WAAAYYYY too much weight up that high. On almost any off camber terrain the trailer was on 1 wheel, terrifying. I built a new rack with linear actuators with a 16' throw and it's 1000% better now.

I'd recommend thinking twice about having something you'll have to duck under. If you are planning to use the space under the tent fold out, your going to want something that you can get up high enough to walk under.

Bonsai4youbyken

I’m trying to cheat a bit with my fixed RTT rack

instead of a telescopic rack.... I went tall jacks. I needed stabilizers already so I figured to get tall jack and use it for lift

I have 4 on now (two in the pix before it was done) and gotta get the tent back up there and see how it feels

Attachments

• 20588744-1A05-4621-8032-32AA8005F374.jpeg
    20588744-1A05-4621-8032-32AA8005F374.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 36

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles