RTT on your 2" hitch or on the ground - the Hitch Tent

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer

I haven't seen this before. Neat idea, not sure about the aero on most vehicles but a neat idea especially for ditching the high C.O.G. weight and going wheeling for the day while leaving a base camp

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 9.47.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-28 at 9.47.07 AM.png

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Interesting concept for sure, but feels like a waste of space and time. I'd also hate to wrestle that sucker into the hitch, although with some learned technique it's probably easy. Just looks weird to me, but I do like how it sets up off the ground.

ABBB

I like this, but with some reservations about driving with a big old tent blocking my rear view and weighing my back end down.

I’m back to a (large) ground tent for this camping season to accommodate our new baby sleeping in a pack n play and our 90 lb dog. We gave up our RTT because it was too small for our growing clan and there’s no way our dog is letting me carry him up that ladder. I’ve come to love the RTT, the comfort, security, and being off the ground. It is a major anchor though and another of the reasons we moved on from it is that you can’t leave camp without packing EVERYTHING up to go with you. This is an interesting alternative that addresses that problem without having to haul a trailer.

But it’s too in the way and I can’t fathom it holding up to off road abuse. I’d love to mount an XL hard shell RTT to my roof and have some kind of portable hoist to bring it down onto a stand like this. Maybe that’ll be next in their product line.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’m fairly certain that I recall this being discussed here during development.

I wouldn’t be excited to take something designed to be bolted together and carried flat and suddenly start hauling it on the vertical edge everywhere. I’m guessing there will be complaints about bolt and hinge quality and water intrusion around zippers.

I do give it high marks for ingenuity in solving a problem I didn’t know I had though.

TwinStick

Explorer
I'll tell you what would sell, (probably so well that they would always be out of stock), is a high strength folding aluminum platform (in small, medium, & large sizes) that you could put your own ground tent on. The small would for 3 person or less. Regular campers, overlanders and people who just don't like sleeping on the ground would love it.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If they only made a portable, lightweight, inexpensive freestanding ground based structure that could be deployed on any remotely level space.
:cool:

As long as you can still bolt it to the outside of your rig for “Adventures” I’m sure you could sell a few!

Hold on to that dream!

Jupiter58

I'll tell you what would sell, (probably so well that they would always be out of stock), is a high strength folding aluminum platform (in small, medium, & large sizes) that you could put your own ground tent on. The small would for 3 person or less. Regular campers, overlanders and people who just don't like sleeping on the ground would love it.

Since you mentioned that I have looked at some “tent cots” The biggest ones I could find sleep two which is a great option for a lot of people. A larger one shouldn’t be that much harder to manufacture and I think a lot of folks would want one so they do not deal with a rtt.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Since you mentioned that I have looked at some “tent cots” The biggest ones I could find sleep two which is a great option for a lot of people. A larger one shouldn’t be that much harder to manufacture and I think a lot of folks would want one so they do not deal with a rtt.

I’m pretty sure @rnArmy uses a tent cot in place of a RTT and generally has positive comments about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior