RTT on trailer Ideas?

97tjguzzy

Explorer
So our tent on the trailer works great, and I knew that when I bought the tent I wouldn't really be able to use the annex. But after seeing pictures of how much room it provides I decided to open it up and see if I could make it work.

Other than totally resewing the door and cutting 3 feet out of the body anyone have any ideas? I need a good way to bundle fabric tightly.

imageukjk.jpg

imageuhph.jpg

Looks like I could make it work with about 2 feet less fabric. The windows are perfect for the hight, they are just short of the ground. The door is the main issue.

imageuqpq.jpg

I would just rock it like this but in windy or storm/rain conditions it could get interesting with all the extra fabric.

The area inside is 8x9 at the bottom and 6x7 at the top.

I like the ability to easily climb inside without climbing up a 6' ladder, but I may end up raising the tent.

Box Rocket

I have seen some tents where the owners have sewed large strips of Velcro to the walls so that the slack can be folded up and secured. Worth a shot. that way it's not a permanent mod to the tent that makes it unusable at a different height.

brentbba

Explorer
There are a few threads here on building risers to allow you to utilize your entire annex as is. Don't know if that's an option for you to consider.

Maxcustody

Explorer
I had the exact same issue. I thought about getting rid of the length as well, but as Adam said, you may not want to do that you may regret it in the future.....................

I ended up selling my tent and annex and going a different direction that better suited my needs.

Arlo

Adventurer
You just need a lift to raise the bottom of the tent to its right high.

So our tent on the trailer works great, and I knew that when I bought the tent I wouldn't really be able to use the annex. But after seeing pictures of how much room it provides I decided to open it up and see if I could make it work.

Other than totally resewing the door and cutting 3 feet out of the body anyone have any ideas? I need a good way to bundle fabric tightly.

imageukjk.jpg

imageuhph.jpg

Looks like I could make it work with about 2 feet less fabric. The windows are perfect for the hight, they are just short of the ground. The door is the main issue.

imageuqpq.jpg

I would just rock it like this but in windy or storm/rain conditions it could get interesting with all the extra fabric.

The area inside is 8x9 at the bottom and 6x7 at the top.

I like the ability to easily climb inside without climbing up a 6' ladder, but I may end up raising the tent.

balu4k

Adventurer
I have seen some tents where the owners have sewed large strips of Velcro to the walls so that the slack can be folded up and secured. Worth a shot. that way it's not a permanent mod to the tent that makes it unusable at a different height.

yes. my annex in CVT MT Rainier version has velcro running all along the walls and when i use them its reduces the height by 2 feet approx.

97tjguzzy

Explorer
yes. my annex in CVT MT Rainier version has velcro running all along the walls and when i use them its reduces the height by 2 feet approx.

would you care to post a picture of this? sounds like it may work. The doors and windows may still be an issue though.

I don't want to raise the tent height if I can help it. its really nice being able to just climb up the short ladder. We have had it mounted on top of our vehicle for a few trips and the ladder climb is not as simple. (especially with a dog or toddler)

Last edited:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
adjustable heaight RTT supports on the trailer....dogs in RTTs, I think there's a whole thread !

97tjguzzy

Explorer
adjustable heaight RTT supports on the trailer....dogs in RTTs, I think there's a whole thread !

trying to avoid raising the tent if I can help it. I have read many of the adjustable height threads. That will be a last resort.

balu4k

Adventurer
would you care to post a picture of this? sounds like it may work. The doors and windows may still be an issue though.

I don't want to raise the tent height if I can help it. its really nice being able to just climb up the short ladder. We have had it mounted on top of our vehicle for a few trips and the ladder climb is not as simple. (especially with a dog or toddler)

I am just getting my ACL procedure done and i am in a situation where i can't get to my garage to take the pics for at least next 3 weeks. but i browsed around to find this video which shows the velcro's i am speaking about. right around 4:46 in this you will see the velcro's at the top.

basically you sew the male part of the velcro close to the top of the annex which will run along the perimeter / wall of the annex and the female part of the velcro may be 18 inches down that.

why do u think door and windows will be a issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXTAIyQe13s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles