RTT on suburban question

Ponyracer

Adventurer
In june we're moving to AK for at least the next 3 yrs. Looking at doing alot of summer camping and do not want to become a bear snack. I own a 3/4 ton 1983 sub currently and will be buying a similar one when we get up there. I'm looking at purchasing a rtt to take with us to save the shipping costs etc. Basically, a family of 5, me and the wife in the sub on an air matteress, and 3 teenagers on the roof in the tent. Can anyone suggest a good size/brand? I found this one that seems decent, apparently it's made in the same factory as the arb one in china. Not looking to spend much more than $1K.

http://www.campinglab.com/carpatecho02.html

Thanks!

82fb

Adventurer
If I am reading that correctly, even the biggest on is only 71 inches wide for 3 teenagers. Unless they like being real friendly, that's not gonna cut it.

Ponyracer

Adventurer
True, one could also sleep in the second row inside though also. So it could be a 2 person setup. I'm just wondering if anyone has one of these and if there worth the $$.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
there are the diagrams on the side of the screen showing how many will fit but i think their being a little optimistic with 3 adults and 1 child in the largest one

Finlay

Triarius
You could get one with an annex - Cascadia Vehicle Tents offers a couple models with that. I just got a Mt. Rainier with an annex and it's huge. It's a little over your budget, but he frequently has demo units for sale at a discount.

Alaskan1Ton

Observer
Alaska huh? You headed to Anchorage or what? If anchorage I'll hook you up with the 4x4 scene, we do alot of trips and wheeling.

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Thanks guys, ya I'm headed to Anchorage. I'm already on the AK 4x4 network. Looking to get a 3/4 4x4 BBC th400 sub for my DD. Prob throw a 4-6" lift on it and some 35" radial pitbulls or similar. Use it for local trips, camping, goldpanning, fishings, etc. Nothing in the winter and nothing long term. My wife if deathly afraid of bears so I figure sleeping on the roof of an 8' tall sub will get us up and out of the way of all but the most determined bears. And for those I'll have a .450 AR waiting for them.

If I can find a decent rtt that will sleep 2 adults I'd be happy with that.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Thanks guys, ya I'm headed to Anchorage. I'm already on the AK 4x4 network. Looking to get a 3/4 4x4 BBC th400 sub for my DD. Prob throw a 4-6" lift on it and some 35" radial pitbulls or similar. Use it for local trips, camping, goldpanning, fishings, etc. Nothing in the winter and nothing long term. My wife if deathly afraid of bears so I figure sleeping on the roof of an 8' tall sub will get us up and out of the way of all but the most determined bears. And for those I'll have a .450 AR waiting for them.

If I can find a decent rtt that will sleep 2 adults I'd be happy with that.

hate to say it, but unless the engine was swapped at some point, that doesnt exist. GM didnt put big blocks in 4x4 suburbans, probably for EPA related reasons.

ltngaines

Adventurer
378.jpg
I have 3 teen age boys and my wife, we camp fine. Cots in the annex and The wife and I in the tent. Fernando at Campinglab is a great guy to deal with. Get the large RTT for the burban and put the kids in the annex or the back of the burban, have fun and good luck.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Hmm. I was always under the impression that you couldn't even order a 4wd with a 454 in it. I was told that years ago and have actually never seen one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior