RTT on Safety Devices-equipped DII. Stupid questions. (really stupid)

Lono

Adventurer
So, I moved my RTT from the trailer to the Disco II last night and my question is this:

Am I missing something or is it a royal PITA to open and close this thing all the way up there on top of the SD roof rack? Is there a trick that I'm missing or is it just going to be difficult to open this thing and then get it closed and put away with the cover and straps secured?

as always, thanks,

Steve

Lono

Adventurer
Yep.... I just moved mine to a trailer:)

Thats what I figured! Thanks for the quick reply btw.

I only moved it off of my M416 trailer because I'm doing the Vermont Overland Trophy in a few weeks and no way am I gonna complicate things by hauling a trailer through that four day event. I'm going to do a dry run with the RTT this weekend but even just the few minutes spent with it last night I can see its a royal pain. the Disco is tall anyway, especially at the rear. Add in a lift and the SD rack and that RTT is really up there. I already snagged the ladder extension but hadn't given much thought to opening and closing the thing.

Its going back on the trailer after the VOT!

Thanks!

Steve

LR Max

Local Oaf
Does it zipper close? Can you tie a wee little string to said zipper, allowing you to walk around with said string in your hand, unzipping it?

Good luck with the added weight up there.

ColoDisco

Explorer
It is a PITA and it will catch on high branches. I hit a tree on Beef Basin in Utah and nearly ripped mine clean off my roof rack. With help from my fab guy we added armor to my roof rack which I have tested and works perfectly. Especially difficult getting the cover zippered on the front without catching the fabric in the zipper.

Beef Basin after striking tent:
5b4307a4803799f1753f26810d5e3be7.jpg

Mods added to protect the tent (the limb risers are more of a reminder that the tent is up there):

80e7c084db7135ea6bf08fbc9f8eac5c.jpg

The rear ladder has become priceless on set up and take down. Huge thanks went to Bobby and Ian at CVT for getting me the necessary replacement parts to get the tent repaired.

Some Dude

Adventurer
Have you considered using a ground tent for this trip? I wouldn't want to do anything more than a nice graded forest service road with one of those behemoths on my roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles