RTT on ARE Z Series

Chad D.

Hello all. New to this forum, and have a plan...

My wife and I are occasional campers, and are hoping that the convenience of a RTT might encourage us to get out a bit more. Also, she is a second grade teacher that loves to take the girls on a 3-week road trip every summer. I’d like to go as well, but my career is a little too demanding of my time to take that much time off at a whack... I can do a week easy, but things really start to pile up on my desk while I’m out. (Before you all tell me to quit, please know that I love my job. I’m not changing! She can’t take time off in the school year, so she totally understands)

So, for the last three summers, she’s taken the kids all over. Between 4,000 and 10,000 miles per trip. Hotels every night. For the couple grand she spends on hotels, she’d prefer to camp in the national parks they visit. Seeing the stars, all that good stuff. We all go on shorter trips together throughout the rest of the summer, but this is her big one. Works out well for me, as I spend my open days during that time fishing with a couple of buddies on the ocean.

Well, she drives a Prius. Great on gas, but not much roof up there, and doesn’t sound like Yakima is too keen on putting a RTT on the Baseline series rack feet. Fine. She still uses that rack for her paddle board.

Her other car is my 2018 Platinum Tundra Crewmax with the ARE topper.

When I bought the truck, there was no thought of the RTT, so I didn’t go for the heavier duty series to carry the extra load. I preferred the frameless glass on the Z Series, as well as some other features. I did get the Yakima tracks installed, as I expected the wife to toss her paddle board up there from time to time.

After reaching out to ARE, they responded that:

“1). ARE does not have a published weight rating or warranty any weight rating EXCEPT on the HD series (550#).

2). All ARE FIBERGLASS caps can withhold the weight that the rack and/or truck is rated for. “How much can your product hold?”, “Please consult your truck manufacturers center of gravity as well as the weight rating of the rack you will be using in conjunction with our cap.”
A. Essentially, our caps can hold what any rack supplier will rate.

3). All ARE ALUMINUM caps have a 200# weight rating.

For example, the Yakima CoreBar and JetStream have a 165# and 220# weight rating on the their crossbars (can be found on Yakima’s site). If a customer is inquiring about putting a tent on their cap, it has absolutely nothing to do with what our cap can hold and everything to do with what the crossbars can hold. So, in this example the the Yakima CoreBar is a 165# rating and if they wanted to add a 200# tent to it they would be over the “rating” of the rack. The customer should speak to Yakima (or whatever rack they are going to use) to find out if the product can work with a tent system.

Again, ARE has no written warranty on weight ratings - any added weight to the top of our products is always the customers liability.”

Huh? Seemed like a poorly thought out and written response. What I got from it was: “Our cap will hold anything that a rack manufacturer says will fit on their racks. We will not stand behind what we just said.”

Anyhoo. Back on track. My thought is that it may be wise to provide additional support, and I wanted to get thoughts on my plan before I move forward.

The Yakima tracks are bolted through the roof of the cap. I intend to place 13/16” Uni-strut under all of the nuts at the underside of the roof to provide an easy way to attach all types of things. I also have the strut type track system from Toyota on the bedsides, which I can attach to. My thought is to place two bars from the roof Uni-strut to the bedside track on each side. The strut can stay on the ceiling permanently, and I can pop the vertical bars out when the tent is not in place. I will also add one more canopy clamp on each side, for a total of six hold down clamps.

My thought is that if the base of the cap is held in place by six clamps, it will be less likely to flex under additional load. The four bars from the roof to the bedsides will transfer any excessive downward force to the truck, rather than relying on the structural integrity of a cap that the manufacturer won’t back...

Everything except the strut at the ceiling will be removable in just a couple of minutes, and I think the strut will come in quite handy. Crossbars can be added to hang things. Fishing rod holders and such can be mounted up high. Even a net to hold sleeping bags and such....

FWIW, I intend to fabricate the exterior crossbars for the tent to sit on. I have access to a fantastic fabrication shop, and this is not even close to out of my capacity. I am planning to use three bars to spread out the load a little more, as well. I think it will be hell for stout...

Sorry for the super long first post! Certainly, I am not the first to want to put a tent on this canopy. I am just hoping to get any input that you folks may have before I start rigging.

Thanks,
Chad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SETundra

I have the same truck and same cap so I'll offer my 2 cents.

I contemplated pretty hard for adding additional interior supports just like you are. I didn't want to damage the cap I just spent way too much ($2700) on nor be stuck with that damage 2500 miles from home.

I had plenty of time before my trip to build sone thing and had a few designs drawn up but after reading a few posts I decided against it.

You have the right thinking to use 3 cross bars. I did that as well but used 8020 profiles as they allowed more customization since I also attached an awning. I used the 40mm size. The cap does have a slight curve to it so the middle bar will need to sit a little lower so the tent lays flat across all 3.

The tent itself was about 140 pounds, more like 150 with the bedding. I had no problems on the 5500 mile journey which included rocky dirt roads in Utah.

I had stock suspension and tires with the bed loaded down and could barely tell the tent was up there. 85mph was a little tough especially with cross winds where the tyranny liked to stay in 5th. 65 to 75 was the sweet spot.

So I think you'll be fine without additional support. The cap manufacturers are just covering their ass and likely can't give a weight rating since there are so many factors to consider.

Chad D.

That was some great input. Thank you for sharing! I’d love to see a photo of your setup if you’ve got one...

I am also stock suspension and stock size tires. No shortage of power, for sure...

The tents I’m looking at are more in the 200# class, so I think I may just go ahead with the internal vertical bracing to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SETundra

That's probably the best photo I have that shows the setup with the rack. I think at 200 lbs I'd be a little more worried without support, especially if you keep it on the cap long term. But another 50 lbs distributed on the 3 crossbars isn't really that much.

Chad D.

cd9b32de7c40f43d4a86c3abefb3d0b0.jpg

Drove through Bend yesterday morning, and had a great meeting with Bobby and his team at CVT. What a cool showroom!

A short 60 minutes and a wad of money later, I was down the road with my new tent. Decided against building my own crossbars and just bought a three pack of Rhino crossbars and associated parts. Should have it mounted up today, and be ready to roll!

Chad D.

27b74f5139e3d55287e6dea171806c1d.jpg
eabdf96480a933a3c72fa3d404e9fcfc.jpg

Found a use for an old boat trailer winch and made a simple hoist to hang my tent above where my boat lives.

Yes, I will put up safety chains at each corner before I lift the tent off!

Chad D.

Well, my theory was fine. Rope wasn’t... 3/8” rope (new) rated at 340#. Tent and everything with it is under 200#.

Rope broke... Tent fell from 8’ high. Luckily, I had moved my pickup out as soon as it cleared! Also good that the tent landed flat. Like a pancake.

Zero tent damage. Only my pride and the rhino rack bases took a beating. I’ll go back to square one.

Leaning toward a Warn 1500# AC winch to pull the tent straight up this time... thoughts on these?

Wallygator

Adventurer
Well, my theory was fine. Rope wasn’t... 3/8” rope (new) rated at 340#. Tent and everything with it is under 200#.

Rope broke... Tent fell from 8’ high. Luckily, I had moved my pickup out as soon as it cleared! Also good that the tent landed flat. Like a pancake.

Zero tent damage. Only my pride and the rhino rack bases took a beating. I’ll go back to square one.

Leaning toward a Warn 1500# AC winch to pull the tent straight up this time... thoughts on these?

Glad your tent is ok. Go to the hardware store and switch it to plastic covered cable.

Jay J

I’m fixing to mount the exact same tent, well a different color, on the exact same shell. I have a 2017 Sierra with a Z series cap.

Did you use the Yakima track fit kit for your rhino rlt-600 legs? I emailed rhino with a few other questions and they happened to add that ARE uses Thule tracks... I was certain ARE only uses Yakima.

Have you had a chance to drive with the tent mounted? Or open it up and get in it? I’m courious how you feel about the weight on the shell now that it’s up there.

I’ve found these and they look like exactly what I need to reinforce the shell. Unfortunately they’re only sold in Australia, but after corresponding with the manufacturer it looks like they could get them to me here in the US for about $360 total. Not bad.

D24D7BB4-5842-4DD3-B70F-DBF20C3986FF.pnghttp://www.milford-auto.com/products/loadmax

4xdog

Explorer
I know Milford for their cargo barriers. That LoadMax canopy roof reinforcement is a pretty nifty product.

Following to see how the install turns out.

Chad D.

I was told that my roof tracks are Yakima, and picked up the Yakima track nuts in addition to the Rhino racks. They’re narrower than Rhino, but fit correctly. The Rhino nuts are too wide for Yakima tracks.

You can feel the weight up there. Not saying that it’s scary or feels unsafe, but it is noticeable.

I have Uni-Strut to attach to the underside of the topper roof, and brackets to attach to the bedside rails. I fabricated 4 adjustable “turnbuckle” or “tie-rod” looking bars to secure the roof to the bedsides. They’re machined from 1” hexagonal aluminum bar stock with a left and right hand threaded Heim joint in either end. Overkill for sure, but will do the job and look sweet. Handy to have access to a full offroad fab shop and the machines that go with it...
af0ce077fc81f520d08c1601df8271f8.jpg

ebrabaek

Adventurer

When I had my 225 pound tepid on the truck, I used this one to store it.
Liked it so much I bought another one.
Now the tepid line es on the trailer and I use the recor for other story.
Works really good.

https://www.amazon.com/Racor-PHL-1R...ocphy=1014526&hvtargid=pla-273151882929&psc=1

rnArmy

Adventurer
I’m fixing to mount the exact same tent, well a different color, on the exact same shell. I have a 2017 Sierra with a Z series cap.

Did you use the Yakima track fit kit for your rhino rlt-600 legs? I emailed rhino with a few other questions and they happened to add that ARE uses Thule tracks... I was certain ARE only uses Yakima.

Have you had a chance to drive with the tent mounted? Or open it up and get in it? I’m courious how you feel about the weight on the shell now that it’s up there.

I’ve found these and they look like exactly what I need to reinforce the shell. Unfortunately they’re only sold in Australia, but after corresponding with the manufacturer it looks like they could get them to me here in the US for about $360 total. Not bad.

View attachment 498448http://www.milford-auto.com/products/loadmax
Now that is cool. I would buy that for my truck and topper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier