RTT on an M101a2 without welding?

Titan_Bow

I bought a m101a2 about 5 years ago, and really haven’t done much too it other than 12v lights. I didn’t come with bows and canvas. I’ve really just used it as a utility trailer and hauled family camping gear in it a bunch. Initially i didn’t think I would like a RTT, but the more I think about it, and the more I brainstorm about best ways to use the trailer, I think a RTT would be the ticket.
I don’t have any experience welding and don’t own any welding equipment. What are some options for a RTT that don’t require welding? Could you use 3/4” or 1” steel pipe from the hardware store? Any companies make any prefab ? Could you somehow use the original bows ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m kind of in the same boat - starting with an m116 frame (after dumping the 500lb 101a1 bed) and transplanting a Sears Bradley 6ft bed at a more svelte 266lbs.

I’m considering adapting the m101a1 pocket stakes and bows, and wondering how much I need to beef up a lowered version (maybe 18” total height) to support a Smittybilt XL RTT at 140lbs.

Mccool

Observer
I'm sure you can easily find a welding shop close by to make you one. If you only need a couple simple crossbars to hold a tent, it should be fairly inexpensive.

Or post your location, maybe someone here with a welder could help.

RagnarD

Adventurer
Should be able to make uprights with 2" square tubing and a rasor disk or jig saw. Uni-strut for rest. Could probably bolt strut to inside bed for uprights if you dont want to use existing stake pockets.

wayoutwest

You can find “cheap” bolt on racks on Amazon. You could use the oem rack clamps or reinforce it somehow with bar stock and bolt it to the top rail on the 101.

If you were closer I have a 2nd set of side rails and bows and it just getting dusty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m.reed.1

Wildebeest_Overland
I just used the metal bows without the sides and cut the cargo cover shorter...
Bolted 3/4 marine plywood on top of the bows and under the cover. Then mounted a rack on top of that for the tent.
Height is just about perfect.. Velcro straps so I can roll up the sides.
View attachment 526210

View attachment 526212

how much wider is the 101a2 than your 4-runner? I have a Tacoma and have a few trailers in mind... I just don't want anything thats going to be too heavy or too wide. Trailers in mind are a M101A2 or M116. Id use it as an offload toy hauler behind my rig.
66276464_10215317157184049_6183495782197362688_n.jpg

Coyotegray

how much wider is the 101a2 than your 4-runner? I have a Tacoma and have a few trailers in mind... I just don't want anything thats going to be too heavy or too wide. Trailers in mind are a M101A2 or M116. Id use it as an offload toy hauler behind my rig.

The trailer is 73.5" wide...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles