RTT mounting height?

headdamage

Observer
I've been trying to decide if I should keep my RTT on the roof of the Range Rover or put it lower on a trailer. I have an annex for it but I've never used it, thought having the sheltered space under the tent is nice even with out the annex. However, neither myself or my wife are very good at climbing out of the RTT in the morning or during the night. How much easier or not is it to get in and out of the tent if it is mounted on a trailer at chest height vs. close to 7 feet up in the air? How useful do people find the annex? Thanks.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I use my annex all the time. It keeps my gear dry, my dogs sleep down there, and my child most of the time as well. My tent is mounted on a lift that allows me to use it at a height that keeps the tent high enough. If it is to low you can't open your lid anyway. I have full access to the trailer with the tent set up with mine.

I like the tent on the trailer much more as well because I don't have t break camp every time I want to go exploring.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Mine is mounted on Thule roof rack on my M416 with springover. That puts the base of the tent at 60" so the annex cannot be untilized to its full extent. Since I was not mechanical enough to come up with some of the cool lifts for the tent, I just cut the annex off at the bottom by 10" and put it back together. It is very useful for storage, dogs, sitting and reading out of sun or rain, and a changing room since my ARB tent has the 3' overhang. I can stand in this overhang area and get dressed/undressed and have privacy.

I like the climb being at 5' and I agree that it is easier not to have to break camp to go off in vehicle for the day.

Ziv

Observer
There are a couple of reasons I prefer mine on the trailer rather than on the rig.
1. Don't have to break camp for short side trips or to drive up river to another fishing spot.
2. It's so much quicker to put up and take down when it is on the trailer.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I have used mine down low as well. I like the lower ladder height better, but the limited access to the trailer interior offset that convenience.

crazy

Adventurer
I think the lower height would be better. You won't fall as far after a night of drinking. Just kidding...kind of.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Just to follow up, I agree that it is easier to setup and close on the trailer as I can reach everything including the cover. I am about 5'10"-11".

To address access to trailer, I have tent fold out over hinge side and annex room is on that side. That way if I need to access trailer (and no one is in tent) I simply open from opposite side. Tent rises with lid but hinges and bends at extension so ladder and annex never move. Works for me.

headdamage

Observer
To address access to trailer, I have tent fold out over hinge side and annex room is on that side. That way if I need to access trailer (and no one is in tent) I simply open from opposite side. Tent rises with lid but hinges and bends at extension so ladder and annex never move. Works for me.

That is a good idea.

BoarderMX

Observer
Like another poster mentioned, creating an adjustable height platform for the tent on the trailer in order to utilize the annex didn't work for me so having it a lower height as others mentioned makes set-up and tear down much easier, the advantage to it being trailer based is the ease of being able to explore the down side towing and lower speed limits. I just raise the ladder when I pop the lid of the trailer as my lid is hinged in the front.

To get around the lack of an annex I got a all-weather Screen Tent after seeing a number of teardrop based campers use them to enclose the galley section in inclement weather to cook etc. I have also pulled it over the trailer after collapsing the RTT to finish packing the trailer in a major downpour to keep the inside of the trailer and us dry and make breaking camp a little less stressful. That is another advantage to a trailer, you can carry more gear.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Just to follow up, I agree that it is easier to setup and close on the trailer as I can reach everything including the cover. I am about 5'10"-11".

How do you not rip something with the annex attached? At least with the CVT it connects to both sides of the floor and you can't do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles