RTT Fairing questions

So, the wind noise from my RTT above 40 mph gets pretty bad in my Impreza. I'm planning a fairing to hopefully help in this department.

Rigged up a piece of cardboard to get an idea of what it would look like and wanted some opinions. Is it better to go at a steep angle with a bigger faring to the top of the tent, or is a shorter one at a more gentle approach a better way to go? I THINK the wind noise is from the wind bopping between the tent and the roof, but I don't have any data to back that up other than how it sounds.

Attachments

I have a thule fairing for your car I am not using. Are you up near NJ anytime soon?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Don't think I'll be up to Jersey anytime soon. If I haven't figured something out by November I might be able to swing up there when I'm in D.C.

I'll let you know; thanks!

I have a thule fairing for your car I am not using. Are you up near NJ anytime soon?

Don't think I'll be up to Jersey anytime soon. If I haven't figured something out by November I might be able to swing up there when I'm in D.C.

I'll let you know; thanks!
No problem, Ill get pictures when i can.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
So, the wind noise from my RTT above 40 mph gets pretty bad in my Impreza. I'm planning a fairing to hopefully help in this department.

Rigged up a piece of cardboard to get an idea of what it would look like and wanted some opinions. Is it better to go at a steep angle with a bigger faring to the top of the tent, or is a shorter one at a more gentle approach a better way to go? I THINK the wind noise is from the wind bopping between the tent and the roof, but I don't have any data to back that up other than how it sounds.
That looks like a sun roof under the front of your RTT. If it is, I've got the same issue with my '94 Land Cruiser and CVT RTT. I don't want to rain on your parade, but the best way that I get away from the noise is to keep it shut and also close the inside cover shade. My hard shell RTT is a lot more streamlined than your Tepui and it still has annoying wind noise. You might be able to improve the fuel mileage with a fairing, but IMHO, not the wind noise. I think you're at least partially right about the gap, though, but any slipstream interference will produce some noise. Good luck with your experimenting. Let us know your results.

No problem, Ill get pictures when i can.

Thanks!

That looks like a sun roof under the front of your RTT.
No sunroof here. I made sure to get a car without one to reduce wind noise. We do a 12+ hour drive (each way) at least once a year to visit family. You really start to notice the road noise when you are driving that long.

Hoping to make a cheap prototype soon so I'm not out much if it doesn't help. At worst, I'll go in and sound insulate the roof, which is something I was considering before the tent anyway.

So, quick update. I attached the cardboard with some gaffer's tape to the front of the car and tent. I wasn't able to really tell much as far as a difference in noise generation. I suspect the cardboard+tape prototype wasn't the best idea as the thing flew off while I was on the highway at 70 mph.

In short, I'll need something stiffer and better attached for future tests.

Attachments