RTT cover repair/replace

I have a Howling Moon Stargazer 1.6 and my RTT cover has some abrasion to it where it lets in water creating a humid environment when the tent was on my truck in between use. I've since removed the RTT from my truck, thoroughly cleaned it and was looking to replace my RTT cover with a new one but then...Howling Moon is out of business and Sierra Expeditions can't get my replacement parts. I looked into getting a cover fabricated but they wanted $1000 which was ridiculous, considering that a new one from Sierra Expeditions (when available) was like $200. Well it looks like for now I'm patching/fixing the areas and am either looking for back channels to Howling Moon for replacements, reasonable solutions for replacement, or fixes. I was thinking about using Flex Seal tape in clear or Flex Seal paint in clear. Please share your thoughts to help me with a solution to this problem.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I've only repaired Tepui covers, but the PVC coated fabric was easily patched with the same kind of rubber patches used for rafts. I can't remember where I got them. maybe check amazon? tire patch kits might work too. It depends on how much color matching means to you.

rickc

Adventurer
Measure the exact dimensions of your closed tent and share; it's possible that one of us owns an RTT that has a similar sized cover and if so, you may have alternative suppliers that would work for you. How is the Stargazer cover mounted? Does it use zippers on slides? Velcro on slides?

Boston90

I've only repaired Tepui covers, but the PVC coated fabric was easily patched with the same kind of rubber patches used for rafts. I can't remember where I got them. maybe check amazon? tire patch kits might work too. It depends on how much color matching means to you.

Did you patch the inside or outside on your RTT?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Did you patch the inside or outside on your RTT?

Inside. I don't have that tent anymore, so no photos, but if I had something like a three corner tear, I might do both inside and out. I had little tiny punctures, so easy to patch from the inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles