RTT Bed Rack That Allows Rolling Hard Tonneau Cover?

Vegas_Sirk

Hey guys,

Going to be selling my Jeep in the next couple of month and picking up a full size pickup to replace it. I plan on doing an overlanding style build with it but its still going to be my daily driver. As a result I would like a rack similar to that that AEV did on their Prospector XL and/or ZR2 Concept that supports a roof top tent, but when the tent is off you can remove the cross bar and have zero height limitations. I would also like to put a rolling/locking hard top tonneau cover over the bed for gear storage. This would keep additional gear dry, and protect it from theft while on the road.

Does anyone have a set up like this? Anyone seen a company making racks that will work with hard Tonneau covers?

defend01

Check out Nuthouse Industries. They built a rack for my m101A2. Top notch quality and incredible customer service. When I was there I talked to them about building a rack that works with a hard rolling aluminum bed cover for my Power Wagon. They’ve done this before and will work with you to fully customize the rack and cover just how you want it. I haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet, but plan to in the near future.

defend01

Awesome, post pics when you get it! I’ve got Ramboxes too and already have a retrax cover. When I was down there picking up the trailer they did a lot of measuring and said they could definitely make it work.

Vegas_Sirk

Check out Nuthouse Industries. They built a rack for my m101A2. Top notch quality and incredible customer service. When I was there I talked to them about building a rack that works with a hard rolling aluminum bed cover for my Power Wagon. They’ve done this before and will work with you to fully customize the rack and cover just how you want it. I haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet, but plan to in the near future.

Thanks for the info. Their racks look nice but would be too low for what Im looking for.

I'm looking for something more like this:

2018-colorado-zr2-concepts-FT-05.jpg

If you look at it you can see the silver cross bars are removable, which is awesome if you ever need to use the truck as a truck to haul a piece of furniture, or some other tall item. My guess is that I'm going to have to go custom.

I might have to use something like the Thule TracRac SR:

593751_sized_900x600_rev_2.jpg

That attaches to the bed rail top instead of inside the bed rails. and then have a rack built off that. Or just have the custom rack builder use the same type of mounting that the Thule dose and skip the Thule altogether.

Desmontes

Nuthouse for sure on a full size. I checked with them for my ZR2 and just didn't seem the best match for a mid-size. I've got a Leitner/Decked/FrontRunner outfit and I love it.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I know nuthouse also makes one that is cab height as well. They’ll make it either cab height or a few inches short for a less noisy RTT.

They are just very expensive. But you get what you pay for in this world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betarocker

Adventurer
Looking at my Retrax cover, it would require something custom mounted to the top of the bed sides, yet still allow the Retrax to be clamped against the vertical inner top lip. While not impossible, it would take some thought.

VoodooCLD

I have the Pace Edwards Ultragroove on my 2018 GMC. It has a build in T track on the sides of the topper. I've got the thule square rails on there now, but plan to build or a buy a rack that will stay permanently attached to a RTT. That was i can switch out the rails for hauling mountain bikes, or throw on the RTT.

Attachments

• pace-edwards-ultragroove-metal-tonneau-cover-rack-sold-separetly.jpg
    pace-edwards-ultragroove-metal-tonneau-cover-rack-sold-separetly.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 47
As promised, a few photos of the Nuthouse rack they installed for me today. A couple of notes:

- The spare tire carrier is removable - I only plan to run it on off-road trips

- The Nuthouse guys are awesome! They designed several customizations for me, including some in real-time during install. They know their stuff.
D3302EDE-42AD-4E6C-820D-FE28F752C0AB.jpegE94AE20B-D8B2-4374-85F7-258EE89989B2.jpeg

Attachments

• 0CE8D8F7-E375-40F4-B698-9E9998F8440B.jpeg
    0CE8D8F7-E375-40F4-B698-9E9998F8440B.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 81

defend01

As promised, a few photos of the Nuthouse rack they installed for me today. A couple of notes:

- The spare tire carrier is removable - I only plan to run it on off-road trips

- The Nuthouse guys are awesome! They designed several customizations for me, including some in real-time during install. They know their stuff.
View attachment 463068View attachment 463069
Looks awesome! Thanks taking time to post the pictures.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
As noted here, Nuthouse all the way.

Dethloff while nice and simple doesn't currently offer a rack for those without Ram Boxes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94