RTT at back or front of rack?

BigMF

I've just received my Prinsu rack and will be installing it soon on my LX570. I've ordered a CVT Shasta Hybrid. The rack is approximately 92" long and the tent is approximately 60" wide. One of the reasons I went with a "fold out" versus a "wedge" style RTT was that I wanted to preserve a little cargo space on the rack. With that said, what is the prevailing opinion on whether to shift the RTT towards the back of the rack or the front to place the extra gear, either in front or back of the RTT, respectively? Also, what are good reasons for having it fold out over the driver's side versus the passenger side? Thoughts on air flow/resistance?

Here's what I've come up with so far.

Pros for front loading:
  1. Can stand on the tire or hitch to get gear easier. I do have rock sliders installed and I'm tall so getting gear off the front will not be a HUGE issue, it just might be easier to stand on the tire to do it.
Pros for back loading:
  1. Sunroof is kinda sorta available if there is no gear above it.
  2. The extended fly might not be in the way of the front door.

dstock

Explorer
On my Jeep, I went rear and passenger facing with my CVT Mt. Shasta, gear up front. We used the annex quite a bit and one of the nice things about it was I could unzip the "back door" of the annex next to the Jeep and access the rear passenger door without leaving the annex. I have rock rails also so accessing the gear up front on the rack wasn't a big deal. Also, if you find yourself camping off a tight trail, opening to the passenger side seemed safer.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Go rear. Noise alone will dictate that. Better for mileage too. This has been hashed out a few times. Search might be your friend too see lots of varying opinions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles