RTIC 65 vs Fridge

Mgyver1

Observer
Also the cooler's walls are probably much thicker than the fridges. You need to look at exterior dimensions to make sure the fridge is the same size outside as your cooler so you know it fits. Then compare interior volume and like others have said, understanding that you will not have to worry about ice space in the fridge interior volume.

sn_85

Observer
As others have stated, I went from expensive cooler to a fridge and happy I made the leap. Well worth it IMO. I took a Canyon Cooler (rotomolded, similar to the rest) on a 4 days camping trip to Tahoe last summer and by the time I calculated in the drive and the 4 nights I had to fill up ice twice. Temps were about 85F in August I believe. I did everything recommended, added enough ice, limited how much I opened/closed it, and sorted the food according to how much I'd consume. By the end of it I was trying to dig through refrozen ice, bust up the chucks, take out my food and then somehow organize it so that I can again access everything in a convenient manner and also be able to close the lid. Honestly I think even the expensive coolers 2 days maybe 3 max is good. Longer than that you'll want a fridge and even if you're just on a short trip the fridge is much nicer to have. If you can afford it and have the extra juice I say go for it.

Now my thoughts on fridges. IMO you have your top tier players like National Luna, Snowmaster, and Engel. Supreme build quality, durable, and sometimes has a fridge and freezer compartment. Expensive. Then you have ARB & Dometic. Good quality, plastic build, fridge OR freezer but not both. Cheaper but still expensive. I think most people go with this option. Then there is the brand and product that won Overland Journal's value award but people don't really talk about it that much, the Indel B. It's nearly half the the price of an ARB or Dometic. You can scoop these up for around $450 shipped sometimes from Truck Fridge. It performs better than ARB and Dometic. The knocks on it is that the exterior quality is cheaper plastic, reverse control panel, and lack of drain plug. Oh it's also kind of ugly. I solved two of those issues by purchasing a Waeco fridge jacket that protects & insulates the fridge and covers it up so I don't have to look at it. The cover looks really nice btw. I could care less about the features and exterior quality since internal it uses a very high quality Danfoss compressor, which is what counts the most. The jump in price to get an ARB or Dometic is not worth it IMO. With the Indel B you basically get a the better performing product at $300-400 less. Either get the Indel B or make the leap to the elite fridges like a National Luna, Snowmaster, or Engel.

In my experience, it was easier for me to jump into a $450 fridge than an $800 one. Now that I've had mine and know that I like having a fridge, If I were to ever look to upgrade I'd go the National Luna or Snowmaster with the dual compartments. Also looking at the space you have on your trailer I'd say you could easily fit a National Luna 52-55L Weekender or Snowmaster 56L Classic. Just saying :)

Last edited:

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
As others have stated, I went from expensive cooler to a fridge and happy I made the leap. Well worth it IMO. I took a Canyon Cooler (rotomolded, similar to the rest) on a 4 days camping trip to Tahoe last summer and by the time I calculated in the drive and the 4 nights I had to fill up ice twice. Temps were about 85F in August I believe. I did everything recommended, added enough ice, limited how much I opened/closed it, and sorted the food according to how much I'd consume. By the end of it I was trying to dig through refrozen ice, bust up the chucks, take out my food and then somehow organize it so that I can again access everything in a convenient manner and also be able to close the lid. Honestly I think even the expensive coolers 2 days maybe 3 max is good. Longer than that you'll want a fridge and even if you're just on a short trip the fridge is much nicer to have. If you can afford it and have the extra juice I say go for it.

Now my thoughts on fridges. IMO you have your top tier players like National Luna, Snowmaster, and Engel. Supreme build quality, durable, and sometimes has a fridge and freezer compartment. Expensive. Then you have ARB & Dometic. Good quality, plastic build, fridge OR freezer but not both. Cheaper but still expensive. I think most people go with this option. Then there is the brand and product that won Overland Journal's value award but people don't really talk about it that much, the Indel B. It's nearly half the the price of an ARB or Dometic. You can scoop these up for around $450 shipped sometimes from Truck Fridge. It performs better than ARB and Dometic. The knocks on it is that the exterior quality is cheaper plastic, reverse control panel, and lack of drain plug. Oh it's also kind of ugly. I solved two of those issues by purchasing a Waeco fridge jacket that protects & insulates the fridge and covers it up so I don't have to look at it. The cover looks really nice btw. I could care less about the features and exterior quality since internal it uses a very high quality Danfoss compressor, which is what counts the most. The jump in price to get an ARB or Dometic is not worth it IMO. With the Indel B you basically get a the better performing product at $300-400 less. Either get the Indel B or make the leap to the elite fridges like a National Luna, Snowmaster, or Engel.

In my experience, it was easier for me to jump into a $450 fridge than an $800 one. Now that I've had mine and know that I like having a fridge, If I were to ever look to upgrade I'd go the National Luna or Snowmaster with the dual compartments. Also looking at the space you have on your trailer I'd say you could easily fit a National Luna 52-55L Weekender or Snowmaster 56L Classic. Just saying :)
Thank You that’s great info!!!!
I just stumbled onto the Indel B at TruckFridge site but had no clue about them. The issues w a cooler you mentioned are exactly why we are looking at a fridge!
My budget is $500 range so the fancy ones were kinda putting it on the someday wish list. Thanks Again!

sn_85

Observer
Thank You that’s great info!!!!
I just stumbled onto the Indel B at TruckFridge site but had no clue about them. The issues w a cooler you mentioned are exactly why we are looking at a fridge!
My budget is $500 range so the fancy ones were kinda putting it on the someday wish list. Thanks Again!

Here's a link to the Overland Journal Cooler Shootout
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sp9y9dh93...al Spring 2017 Fridge-Freezer Review.pdf?dl=0

Also Truck Fridge may be running a discount/group buy code. They had a post on their Facebook page about it. The code is "FACEBOOK" during checkout. Not sure if it's still valid but give them a call and ask, it may be ending soon since its been active since May. As of last week the sale was still according to their facebook page.

Prices after discount and FREE SHIPPING!!!
TB31 - $379
TB41 - $479
TB51 - $499

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Here's a link to the Overland Journal Cooler Shootout
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sp9y9dh933bb9gw/Overland Journal Spring 2017 Fridge-Freezer Review.pdf?dl=0

Also Truck Fridge may be running a discount/group buy code. They had a post on their Facebook page about it. The code is "FACEBOOK" during checkout. Not sure if it's still valid but give them a call and ask, it may be ending soon since its been active since May. As of last week the sale was still according to their facebook page.

Prices after discount and FREE SHIPPING!!!
TB31 - $379
TB41 - $479
TB51 - $499
The TB-51 would fit and be similiar in size etc and most of all that right in my budget

john61ct

Adventurer
We'll gladly answer any questions about our fridges!
Fantastic! You did say any, right? :cool:

How can we order a batch of these Danfoss / SeCOP BD35F drawer units?

Ideally on an ongoing basis, to be delivered anywhere worldwide?

And will they operate as a freezer in tropical conditions?

tapatalk_1530747499763.jpeg

Elfmaze

Observer
I'm about to make the same decision... I already have the "way over engineered" 12V system. 300watts of solar, 400 AH of batteries, fuse blocks, d blocks. etc... My old Coleman Xtreeme will not fit anymore due to a new water system taking up six inches of space. I was leaning toward the RTIC 65 because it will last nearly forever, no worries about break downs plus I can use melt ice to top off the water tanks.

The Dometic 65DZ is the other contender on my list... Mainly for the ice cream and frozen Pizza factor... I suppose if the dometic lasts for 10 years it will be worth it... But it does add mechanical complexity to a relatively simple solution. Also a bit confused why the 65dz uses twice the power of the 65W...

another thing i just though of... My head will be right next to it when sleeping... cycling noise?

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
I have had the Indel B Truckfridge for about 2 years. I bought it for the price and because a friend had good results with it. It has worked well. I recommend it.

Dont forget this about price: you will have to have a proper battery with a deep cycle component. Otherwise it will kill your battery sitting overnight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94