RRT Top Heavy Jeep, suspension/sway bar suggestions

wildo

Now that the RTT is placed back on top of the JKUR, I noticed the following: a lot of swaying at the rear when cornering. Rear seat passengers get nausea easily. When I turn into a ramp, I'm bouncing side to side a bit.

Is this a function of my suspension....the shocks? the coils? the sway bar?

I am running a rhino rack pioneer platform with James Baroud Grand Raid XXL tent (145lbs) and an Eezi Awn manta 270 awning (46lbs). (total 291lbs) not counting internal gear which vary as it is also my daily driver.

Suspension: Metalcloak Game Changer 3.5" mid-arm kit (item A1235) with their Sixpack shocks.

ps: Is there any suspension set up that if I take the RTT and awning off the roof, will give me good road handling performance as well?

kdeleon

Observer
The hellwig rear sway bar will definitely help and should not impact your unloaded ride in a big way. Also does your shock have adjustable rebound? If so try stiffening it up.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wildo

The hellwig rear sway bar will definitely help and should not impact your unloaded ride in a big way. Also does your shock have adjustable rebound? If so try stiffening it up.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My shocks do not have any adjustable rebound. There are so many nice shocks on the market with various adjustability. Am learning about them via YouTube. :)

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Just jump to airbags and don’t look back. There are lots of threads about adding them. $100 and 2 day delivery from Amazon. I’ve been running them for years.

sabjku

Observer
@wildo I feel your pain. I'm on my 4th suspension system in my 2016 and finally have it to where I'm happy with it. With your setup, weight wise, you will want to run a heavy duty set of springs such as the ones made by OME(Old Man Emu-careful as they make two rear heavy duty springs, a standard heavy duty and the extra heavy duty-you will want the extra heavy duty), AEV, or my favorites after trying the others - the Teraflex Outback's.

Having an adjustable shock to where you can stiffen them up for when you are fully loaded, or soften them when you're carrying less weight, is also a night and day difference. I've used Bilstein's, Old Man Emu's, and now the Falcon 3.3's. Definitely happiest, by far, with the Falcon's. They have a huge range of adjustment, and you can really tell the difference. There's nothing better than having them cranked up real stiff for highway driving, then jumping out and setting them to where they're soft for gravel roads within 30 seconds.

Somebody else also mentioned the Helwig rear sway bar-that does help. I put that on and noticed a bit of a difference-not huge, but some difference. You will absolutely still want to do a proper spring and shock setup. Another inexpensive thing to do is to replace your front sway bar bushing with poly versions. This helps cut down on some of the give in the soft factory rubber ones.

I commute in my JKU every day, and get out almost every weekend exploring and put about 25k miles a year on my Jeep. I love the Teraflex Outback/Falcon setup.

wildo

@wildo I feel your pain. I'm on my 4th suspension system in my 2016 and finally have it to where I'm happy with it. With your setup, weight wise, you will want to run a heavy duty set of springs such as the ones made by OME(Old Man Emu-careful as they make two rear heavy duty springs, a standard heavy duty and the extra heavy duty-you will want the extra heavy duty), AEV, or my favorites after trying the others - the Teraflex Outback's.

Having an adjustable shock to where you can stiffen them up for when you are fully loaded, or soften them when you're carrying less weight, is also a night and day difference. I've used Bilstein's, Old Man Emu's, and now the Falcon 3.3's. Definitely happiest, by far, with the Falcon's. They have a huge range of adjustment, and you can really tell the difference. There's nothing better than having them cranked up real stiff for highway driving, then jumping out and setting them to where they're soft for gravel roads within 30 seconds.

Somebody else also mentioned the Helwig rear sway bar-that does help. I put that on and noticed a bit of a difference-not huge, but some difference. You will absolutely still want to do a proper spring and shock setup. Another inexpensive thing to do is to replace your front sway bar bushing with poly versions. This helps cut down on some of the give in the soft factory rubber ones.

I commute in my JKU every day, and get out almost every weekend exploring and put about 25k miles a year on my Jeep. I love the Teraflex Outback/Falcon setup.

Wow. My shop recommended the OME setup as well. Thanks for the tip on the spring weight and your experience. It's definitely pointing my towards OME springs with adjustable shocks like the Falcon 3.3. I will probably keep the entire suspension kit from Metalcloak and just swap the springs and shocks.

Did you get the extra heavy duty springs for the rear only or for all four corners?

The ORO Swayloc looks really good and am thinking of upgrading to that as I am looking at the GenRight rear fuel tank which requires a different sway bar setup where the ORO is compatible.

As a tangent, I was thinking of the ORO AirRock suspension for overlanding. Adjustable height, dynamic leveling, can stiffen up the corners that require it (aids in sway I guess). Being able to level the jeep at campgrounds or just airing all the way down to fit into indoor garages is a nice feature. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94