Royal Purple?

jerstw

Adventurer
Are any of you running your rigs on Royal Purple? I am due for an oil change on my 2011 Ram (Hemi), mild towing, daily driver, occasional back country adventure, etc. and was going to do the old standby of Mobile 1 but I've heard good things on RP. Also if you do have experience with it which version are you running...standard RP or HPS?

Thanks.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I've used it before with different results.

My 80 series Land Cruiser hated it (Burnt through it). The Atlas T-Case in my 04 Unlimited wouldn't hold it, so much so, that now it's not recommended to use it (I forget if Advanced Adapters names only RP or if it's all synthetic's now).

My diesel trucks have loved it. No problems at all.

It's been a few years, but last time I knew a Pro Driver for Swift trucking, he said that's all Swift allows and if they caught you putting anything else in their tractor they'd fire you.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I grew up in a shop and have had bad luck with it. First off every rig we used it in un less brand new burned it like no other. Any time we used it in a trans or diff about 10k later it got replaced. so no good heard hear mobil or valvoline syn are good oils amsoil is also a good oil.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Mobil 1 has very good base stock and a good additive pack for an expedition rig/daily driver.

Amsoil has an excellent high-PAO basestock.

Royal Purple has very high Zinc levels I believe, which is optimised for the race track, not for a daily driver.

My data may be a few years out of date though.

Ray

Rot Box

Explorer
I put +20k miles on a Getrag 5speed (92 Dodge Cummins) with 5w-30 and I didn't have any oil related issues that I am aware of. I know its not much but that's as far as my experience with it goes.

bldeagle10

Explorer
I've never used it but I know it is more catered towards high performance builds, my 99 XJ Cherokee 4.0 has 325,880 miles on it to date and I have never used anything but Mobil 1. just basic 10w-30, I should switch to high mileage though...good stuff, motor is still extremely strong, doesn't burn oil but likes to mark it's territory (due to the horrid 4.0 rear main seal) id suggest sticking with Mobil 1 synthetic for every oil change, but that is just my experience with the stuff..

Crazy Al

Always heard good things about RP, but Mobil 1 has always treated me right, and it's available EVERYWHERE. I'll keep using it till it fails me.

98roamer

Explorer
Mobil 1 has very good base stock and a good additive pack for an expedition rig/daily driver.

Amsoil has an excellent high-PAO basestock.

Royal Purple has very high Zinc levels I believe, which is optimised for the race track, not for a daily driver.

My data may be a few years out of date though.

Ray

My brother uses only RP in his dirt drag truck but Amsoil in his DD. I use Mobile 1 but we have been looking into adding MotorKote for our DD.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I have no data on Motorkote so it is hard for me to comment. My experience is only with lubricants, specifically automotive, marine and industrial base-stocks and additives.

Motorkote say their product is not an oil additive, as it does not bond or mix or interact with the oil in your engine at all, it bonds to all the metal inside your engine, reducing friction and heat. They claim that even after multiple oil changes, the Motorkote will remain bonded to the metal in your engine. They say it works with any engine, made of any type of metal, at any temperature.

I know nothing about metal, only lubricants, so at this point I would have to defer to someone here who is a metals expert to comment if something like this is possible.

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
I've been using RP in a very high performance 1250 Unimog for about 30-40,000 miles (Ok, the mog is not high performance). I use it in the portals, differentials, tranny, PTO tranny and engine. I also use a Filtration Solution filter for the engine oil. So far no issues. I use it in the portals specifically because of some issues(hopefully not) that have been brought up. My temperatures went down in all gear/tranny areas 15-30 degrees. I figure that is always good. To say the RP is the end all of synthetics.....I don't know. I run Castrol Syntec 5/50 in the wifes ride for 165,000 miles now and it works well because that's what I started with when we bought it, 13 years ago. I also didn't notice any "extra" leaking with the very modern Unimog (another attempt at humor).
Chas

nmatcek

Adventurer
Used to run it in my truck and never had any problems. Switched back to Mobil 1 though. Still a great oil, cheaper than RP, and easier to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz