ROXOR: The Willys CJ3 Reinvented

Exploring Elements

Supporting Sponsor
I just got back from the first drive experience of the new ROXOR, a vehicle Mahindra Automotive North America is introducing to the North American market. This vehicle offers an iconic shape, boxed steel frame, 5-speed manual transmission, small efficient turbo-diesel engine and solid axels, but it isn't street legal. Read my full review, including a short video I shot here:

ROXOR: Don't Do Anything Stupid!

EEROXORSlider-1.jpg
EEROXOR-6.jpg
EEROXOR-7.jpg

Nice car and nice pictures.

But this is USA. How many true offroaders can wheel well with a manual car? Very few. So, this will not sell that much. People want and prefer automatic offroad.

Also, I think the price is quite high. @15,400 for a base model that clearly needs upgrades like a windshield and other things, I think it seems overpriced! Also, the top of the line limited edition rolling out at $18,400 means a drive out price of almost $20,000 or more. That is the cost of a well kitted used Landcruiser, 4Runner, Jeep and tons of other very capable street legal 4x4s.

Wow. For such a car with manual transmission and such high cost, it may not sell so well.

If some rich people buy it, many of their kids would not be able to even enjoy it because it is manual. Remember many more car manufacturers are even fading away the manual gear box for fully automatic. Also, it is even argued these days that automatic transmissions seem to perform the same or even better than manual transmissions. So, I can see the sales of this will suffer. Except people want to buy it and store it.

This is the American market. I do not know any side by side car in this market that is manual. Let alone manual offroader. Very few Americans can feel happy taking a manual for some true hardcore offroading with this Jeep looking side by side.

Let's wait and see when they start rolling in the ones with automatic gear boxes or will they remain only manual? Maybe their next year model will come in auto.

pluton

Adventurer
At 62, I still haven't owned, and have no plans to ever own a car/vehicle equipped with an automatic trans. But, I could change my mind in the future.

Tembo

topless adventures
Yep, agreed...i don't think I have ever owned an auto gearbox vehicle and definitely would not be keen on taking one to the desert. Actually I really like the Roxor. Simple and basic and open top always works for me

Desert Dan

Explorer
Too bad it isn't street legal.

I like how basic and simple it is. I wish more vehicles were available in a bare bones package.
The Roxor is pretty expensive and will have to compete with razors and quads etc.

I prefer a manual trans anywhere except stop and go traffic. Too bad there aren't many stick shift vehicles on the US market.

The automatic in my Toyota 4R works great though.

I just don't really get it. If it was street legal, maybe.

But it's still just a strangely proportioned Indian counterfeit Jeep CJ3 that costs twice as much as a basic Honda or Polaris side-by-side.

Chuxideas

I just don't really get it. If it was street legal, maybe.

But it's still just a strangely proportioned Indian counterfeit Jeep CJ3 that costs twice as much as a basic Honda or Polaris side-by-side.

Marinera is not counterfeit, they have had a legitimate license for 50+ years!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

goin camping

Explorer
While reading about them on the internet. I ran across a company that makes them street legal.

In my warped little mind... A little, light diesel "jeep" for under 25 grand is a great deal considering what new jeeps cost. But to each their own.

85_Ranger4x4

While reading about them on the internet. I ran across a company that makes them street legal.

In my warped little mind... A little, light diesel "jeep" for under 25 grand is a great deal considering what new jeeps cost. But to each their own.

I think Fiat kinda put the kabosh on them anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles