Rough cost of composite panel / FRP build

Can anyone shed some light on the rough cost of building a composite expo camper box?

Obviously there are a bunch of variables to consider, but mostly I'm just trying to get a ballpark idea of the approximate cost of a basic box able to be mounted to a subframe or flatbed. In my case, I'm looking at a box maybe 12'x7'x7' (LxWxH) with a cabover (maybe 4'x7'x3') and a few non-90-degree angles. But I'm interested in any and all input, and any prices from little composite truck campers to big expo rigs to price per panel. But i'm just looking for the cost of the composite construction, not the whole build, not all the custom options or interior furnishing. I'm particularly interested in Total Composites or similar options which are tailored too our communities needs and offer a sorta "DIY with training wheels approach" from the sound of it.

So those of you who have used TC or other composite companies, whats the rough cost breakdown?

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
Yours is about my dimensions. I have about 9k in materials, panels, wood supports, glue, screws, windows trim, lights and exo cage in mine, my panels were made for me. I might be selling it
(1) Fuso Composite Camper - Under Construction | Expedition Portal
Kevin

Last edited:
My panels for a similar size truck camper cost $8000aud. Total cost including hatches, windows, glue, trim, mistakes approx $16000aud. Fitted out with fridge etc should be about 22k.

The little costs really add up. Painting tape, bolts, rivets, a tool you need, aluminum cutting blade. The electrics will be an easy $300 to $500 in wiring, switches, fuses, crimp terminals etc. And that's before adding a high spend item like a battery.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My panels for a similar size truck camper cost $8000aud. Total cost including hatches, windows, glue, trim, mistakes approx $16000aud. Fitted out with fridge etc should be about 22k.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk

Definitely helps, thanks. What company did you go with for the panels? And what type of panel? how did you join them together?

Yours is about my dimensions. I have about 9k in materials, panels, wood supports, glue, screws, windows trim, lights and exo cage in mine, my panels were made for me. I might be selling it
(1) Fuso Composite Camper - Under Construction | Expedition Portal
Kevin

Thanks, I might have a few followup questions, but first i'll check your build, as at least a few of them are probably already answered in that thread.

Thanks Artisan, that is a really cool build. I've looked at your build before actually, I really like the shower/toilet slide concept. and the bathroom/entry door design. Very innovative use of space. I was considering doing something similar. Where did you source the panels?

The Artisan

Adventurer
Thanks Artisan, that is a really cool build. I've looked at your build before actually, I really like the shower/toilet slide concept. and the bathroom/entry door design. Very innovative use of space. I was considering doing something similar. Where did you source the panels?
Thanks I got them from a co that is no longer making them. I am going to start offering frp composite panels, angle iron frame kits and makrolon fold out windows soon. I just got my patent pending number for my hard sided poptopper so one could create a earthcruiser type pod. I was going to offer full built shells, but I decided to offer the supplies for the diyers. Let them build out to their specs.
I would sell mine built out as shown for 18k add 5k to add poptopper.
Kevin

Last edited:
Thanks I got them from a co that is no longer making them. I am going to start offering frp composite panels, angle iron frame kits and makrolon fold out windows soon. I just got my patent pending number for my hard sided poptopper so one could create a earthcruiser type pod. I was going to offer full built shells, but I decided to offer the supplies for the diyers. Let them build out to their specs.
I would sell mine built out as shown for 18k add 5k to add poptopper.
Kevin

Right on, I wish you luck, you would be filling an important and underserved nice. We need more DIY friendly companies, and more hardsided popups! What type of core will your panels be Honeycomb? Foam of some sort? and what sizes do you anticipate selling?

The Artisan

Adventurer
Right on, I wish you luck, you would be filling an important and underserved nice. We need more DIY friendly companies, and more hardsided popups! What type of core will your panels be Honeycomb? Foam of some sort? and what sizes do you anticipate selling?
Sold by the sq ft up to 8' x what ever length.
2" XPS construction grade. 1/16" hot spray polyurea, .040 phenolic sheets and ceramic bead insulation coating. There will be thin supports for hanging cabinets. 522161
Kevin

Very cool, how does the Polyurea and phenolic sheets compare with the fiberglass/epoxy/whatever is normally used with these panels? I'm very intrigued. Any idea what the cost will be?

The Artisan

Adventurer
Still working on pricing. Phenolic is used on glass instead of epoxy. It is heated and pressed. It is very strong. My box is 2.5lb eps with .027 phenolic on each side. Myself and 2 others have stood on it about 550lbs and it barely flexes 12.4' x 7.4'. .75lb per sq ft. XPS I will be using is the same density, the polyurea (truck bed coating) will add some strength as well.
Kevin

The Artisan

Adventurer
Panels get encapsulated in smooth coat polyurea then phenolic or reversed will do samples when machine is here
Kevin
524634 522273

Last edited:

dentedvw

Wire twister
I have been trying to find a place to buy composite panels, by themselves.
FWIW, if you're super budget minded, you can buy a Uhaul truck and take the box. Prices are anywhere from 1k to 14k for the truck with box.
I think I am going to buy a used box from the junkyard, because I can get one for a few hundred. Weighs a LOT more, but that money saved buys a lot of fuel. :) And I didn't spend a lot, so I won't feel so bad if I make mistakes, or bump it into things, or what have you. :)

Panels get encapsulated in smooth coat polyurea then phenolic or reversed will do samples when machine is here
Kevin
View attachment 522242View attachment 522273

Hey thanks for these pics, I can't quite tell what exactly I'm looking at. In the second pic I'm guessing that is the XPS foam sandwiched in between the phenolic? Is that what the orange sheet is in the first pic? and is that a sample of the polyurea next to it? Am I correct in understanding that the phenolic is basically an alternative to epoxy and would still be used in conjunction with fiberglass or carbon or something similar?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste